Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy I'm here...if quiet

I appreciate more than is known the thoughts and prayers for me and my family. I wanted to update y'all and ask for continued thoughts, prayers and meditations...please.

This is mega long, so I apologize. I'll try to keep it to just the details.

I'm sorry I've been so quiet on the forums. I'm here...watching and caring.

Have any of you been so worried about something that you're in an almost constant state of meditation about it because you feel powerless to do anything else almost? That's where I'm at right now.

Jess had a couple of good months after the birth...well, after healing from the c-section and the initial hormonal period. I was so incredibly thrilled for her. My girl was back...my independent, loving, capable, giving girl was back and she is an INCREDIBLE MOTHER.

About three weeks ago she started having that edge to her again. Not long after the horrible itching began again. She explains it as a continual itch that nothing short of taking her skin off would get rid of...nothing helped...not home remedies, benedryl in any form, nothing.

She bagan to ramp up in all the familiar areas again as well and we knew that she was entering into postpartum thyroidtoxicosis. She was in complete denial. She wanted to keep feeling good and she thought if she didn't give into this or give any energy to it that it would go away. She was wrong.

By the time we went back to the endo, she couldn't even sit there for the visit. She was already back on the beta-blockers as well because she was having the tachycardia and palpitations again. It was obvious to him that she was hyperthyroid, so without even having the bloodwork, he increased her auto-immune drugs and beta-blockers by large amounts. He said he hoped to see some relief for her by last weekend. She did see some relief as far as her heart, panic/anxiety and the such went. The itching was even more extreme, though.

During those two weeks, her, her hubby and the baby stayed here so that I could watch her and tend to the baby. She was just too ill to care for him more than about an hour at a time.

She ended up going to the ER last Saturday night for the itching. I was convinced it was her liver involved again because the last two times she had the hepatitis I'd linked it to her severe itching. She was concerned about this and desperate for relief so she went. The ER dr gave her adarax (sp?) for the itching and told her that there was no way the itching was from liver. If liver was that bad for her to itch like that, she'd be so jaundiced she looked like a pumpkin he said.

She calmed because she believed him and the adarax helped immensely. She only took the two pills that night and it seemed to break the cycle. YAY. The other scary thing was that wherever it itched, if she'd even scratch lightly blood just pooled under the skin...looking like long blood-blisters that weren't raised...scary.

The endo wasn't in his office on Monday, and called Tuesday afternoon...rather his nurse did. She said that she was extremely hyperthyroid with higher than high FT3 counts, high FT4 counts and her liver enzymes were EXTREMELY high...much higher than they ever were before. They said she'd have to have another liver ultrasound and to immediately go off the auto-immune drugs (they're hard on the liver, so...).

I freaked! What would happen to her without the drugs? She HAS to have something to manage her body and symptoms. It was getting really dangerous. They called in some drops for her to take called SSKI potassium iodide...2 drops, 3 times per day in water or orange juice.

I read online about this drug and it's generally only used in extreme cases such as thyroid storm, emergency non-thyroid surgery and prior to thyroid surgery. They explained that she needs to have her thyroid and goiter removed ASAP, but she needs to be stable prior to that. So many scary catch-22's with the liver/meds, then surgery/meds/levels.

This is where we're at...

She has the liver ultrasound first thing Monday then stops by for more bloodwork. Then she schedules an appt. to see him 2 days later. I guess the surgery will be ASAP and might be at the drop of the hat when levels allow it. What's scaring me tonight is that the itching is returning now that she's off the auto-immune drugs. It just started back today. Her other symptoms are maintaining though she's starting to show some signs including extreme edginess and anxiety again.

Please, please keep her and all of us to be able to be what she needs through this, in your thoughts and prayers, for a stabalization of illness and surgery. She doesn't want to leave her son at just 3 months old for surgery and recovery, but I've explained it will be much easier on him at this age.

My little Johnathon is a miracle, pure and true. He's above average is almost all his milestones for an infant and our miracle (when brain damage was a true concern as well as the rare chance of a physical deformity...not to mention that alot of women with uncontrolled grave's miscarry). He's so healthy and beautiful. My heart swells for him.

Also, at this same time, I need to ask for thoughts, prayers and meditation for my oldest daughter, Jen.

She's due the 9th and though she's also high-risk (due to the miscarriage the month before conception, but also some uterus issues) everything is GREAT! They just did an ultrasound because there's some concern that she's consistently measuring 3-weeks small, and everything looks perfect from the water level, placenta, to measuring. He's measuring at approx. 7 lbs., 1 oz. They said he has chipmunk cheeks and plenty of hair. I would've never thought he has alot of hair because mother and father are both blonde and fair. Wouldn't it be awesome if he had alot of blonde hair??? I just can't wait to meet him.

So, right now I'm also waiting for a call from her. The OB said just in the last week she's begun to dilate and thin out. His head has come completely down and is in position. He could come tonight or in two weeks.

Please keep her and her little one in your thought and prayers for an easy, safe delivery. She's had a picture-perfect pregnancy and looks like a model n a magazine with the most perfect tummy.

I just pray that the surgery which will happen quickly from what I understand, when the opportunity opens up with levels doesn't come at the same exact time that oldest goes into labor! They'll be in two different hospitals and I'm to care for my grandson. I almost "know" they'll coincide, though, after the events of this last year. It would just fit, ya know?

I pray that the new year brings so much anew for my youngest's health...knowing that it's going to bring more joy than imaginable with two new babies four months apart.

I appreciate so much the care and prayers. I want you to know that I'm maintaining even if quiet. I'm here and available. If, for some reason, i don't respond in a timely manner to a PM, please forward it on to DocJohn or cheri. I'm still here, though, every day on and off throughout the day.

I'm in constant meditation and prayer while having to do alot for my sick daughter and the baby. I expect the next two or so weeks to be the same, but after that it should be over with prayerfully lots of healing.

Much love and thanks,

KD

From the caterpillar emerged
~Strong in flight, beautiful to the eyes, movement laced with grace~
The butterfly
**KD**
</center>

Last edited by kimmydawn; 11-30-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: fix title
kimmydawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 AM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Wow. You are one amazing woman, KD. Prayers still going up from MI for all of you.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

(((((((((((((((( AMN ))))))))))))))))))

Thank you so much for caring...so much.

I just want this to end for my daughter. She's been through so much and though she's one of the strongest persons I've ever met at such a young age, she's clearly traumazed from all of this as well.

Right now I stand on the miracles that have happened and the fact that I believe all of this happened as it did to save my daughter's quality of life, at the least.

I stand on the mother's knowledge that she will do fine in this and be able to move on with her life. Even with all the yuck, I realize that we're very blessed that she does have a disease that can managed to the degree that we feel her's can be with surgery.

Thank you again.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Arrow Wow...

That is alot of stress KD.

You know young folks ARE strong. Your daughter will prevail.

And that is a miracle that the new baby is so healthy. You will want to watch for ADHD type behaviors when he gets older-- because of the thyroid link.
There is a condition called "thyroid resistance" you might want to read up on that -- as it can happen rarely to some kids.

Quote:
1: J Pediatr. 1993 Oct;123(4):539-45.Links
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and thyroid function.
Weiss RE, Stein MA, Trommer B, Refetoff S.

Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637.

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is thought to have a biologic basis, but the precise cause is unknown. It is one of the neurodevelopmental abnormalities frequently observed in children with generalized resistance to thyroid hormone (GRTH), suggesting that thyroid abnormalities may be related to ADHD. We report a prospective screening study for thyroid abnormalities in 277 children with ADHD by measurement of serum levels of total thyroxine, free thyroxine index, and thyrotropin. Fourteen children with ADHD had thyroid function test abnormalities: six had a normal free thyroxine index and elevated thyroxine level (group 1); three had a high free thyroxine index and a normal thyrotropin level (group 2); and five had a low free thyroxine index with a normal thyrotropin level (group 3). GRTH could not be demonstrated in a detailed study of four of the subjects in whom it was suspected (groups 1 and 2). Although the prevalence of ADHD in subjects with GRTH has been reported to be 46%, the overall prevalence of GRTH must be less than 1:2500 because we failed to detect GRTH in the 277 children with ADHD studied. We conclude that the prevalence of thyroid abnormalities is higher (5.4%) in children with ADHD than in the normal population (< 1%).

PMID: 8410504 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
But this is pretty rare. Just keep it in mind.

SSKI is an oldie. I used to dispense it alot in those days. It was also commonly used as an expectorant for severe chest congestion. Only in high doses does it become problematic.

I will be rooting for your daughter during the upcoming surgery. She is young and strong, and that is in her favor. A positive attitude also is very helpful.
There will be times after, for the adjustment of hormone levels. That tends to be difficult for some, and not others. (unpredictable). One of the first signs of not enough supplement is severe constipation. So if that occurs you have to be assertive with the doctors.

Once she gets that toxic thyroid out, things will calm down quickly and she can then really enjoy that new baby!

So you will be a double grandma soon! Lots of work for you coming up! LOL

Best wishes, and much luck!
mrsD

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

((((((((((((( mrsD )))))))))))))))))

You're so calming and I'm so grateful to you.

So, severe constipation could mean that she's getting too hypo post-surgery? That's good to know to watch for. With the large goiter, I don't know if they're planning on removing all or just most of her thyroid yet.

I read last night that the SSKI was used alot prior to the tapazole and PTU being created. That was a relief for me and she's using 2 drops three times/day.

Regarding the baby, they're going to test him at 6 months, then once per year so that's good. Yes, ADHD is something to watch for especially with his father being severely ADHD...even carrying on into adulthood. Sometimes it's so hard to watch him try to be still. I feel for him. I'd read that ADHD was a possibility with the PTU and that it crosses the placenta...so we'll be watching on a couple of levels.

I just always thank you so much for the combination of information and soothing words that are straight-forward. I wish doctors would have your approach and presentation.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>

Last edited by kimmydawn; 12-01-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: several "not had my coffee yet" typos...lol
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just reread the article you posted and that's so good to have and give to my daughter.

My daughter was never ADHD but was "different" from the time she started her period ... way too early at nine. She was tested for aging diseases when she was 11 due to period, weight and alot of gray hair...they were negative.

Her thyroid was tested several times and she always showed borderline HYPOthyroid. I don't know if they tested the TSH or immunities, so...

She's had this since she was about nine so far as I can see...probably younger and just progressively got worse. I don't think she had her first hyperthyroid period until her grandmother died when she was 14. I put all the symptoms off as grief, but knowing what I know now, it was probably her first bout of hyper and she had several after that. It just answers so many questions...the weight, the greying, the emotional "burst" periods, the itching uncontrollably, the skin conditions, the eye conditions, everything...and no doctors were getting it. it's just a simple blood test.

I just thank God the OB asked about thyroid tests and we remembered to say that she showed border hypo when a young teen a few times, and then he tested.

Anyhow, I thank you so much. The more prepared we are and know what to watch for and demand, the better daughter and son will be.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink I hope

you are using the formula with DHA in it. (Lipil I think it is called).

How large is the goiter? What I am going to say now, I think you should keep from her....(does she read here?)
If so tell me after you read it and I'll delete it....

Removing a very large goiter is PAINFUL. A gal at work had one, and she told
me about it. Make sure you discuss this with the doctor beforehand, so there is no delay in getting proper pain relief. This gal was not told this, and there was a delay getting the morphine for her. (it is one of those horror type stories).
But typically thyroid surgery does not hurt that much. She is the only one of the many I have seen who had that experience and her goiter was large.

If you suspect ADHD in this baby...now is the time to use EFAs liberally. EFA supplements reversed my son's severe ADHD. My EFA thread has details about that. I was very deficient during my pregnancy and the formulas we had back then did not have DHA in them. Although we did fish occasionally, it was not enough. There is a pudding for small children called Coromega. And chewables.
But for now the formula is adequate.

Your daughter can use this:
http://www.expectalipil.com/
helps with postpartum depression and healing. I don't expect she is nursing now however.

This explains the formulas:
http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/Conte...ut_LIPIL/LIPIL

I believe you can really avoid problems concerning ADD/ADHD this way now. This is the BEST time. Also avoid transfats...transfats are TERRIBLE for developing brains. It is easier to do this now, with the food changes going on.
Even fast foods and restaurants are removing transfats commonly now.

Thyroid surgery is very easy now. The medical community has become very good at this. You'll just have to take it one step at a time. I've been hypo for many years, and still function well. I have to watch it however! And no more zooming around! In other words, expect to be tired, and give yourself enough rest. Coming off hyper situation, it might be more of a shock. I went the other way from hypo to near normal. At least that racing heart will stop...that is a terrible thing to live with...it can drive a person nuts--the anxiety and all.

If you want me to delete the pain references, just let me know.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM #8
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

i think you need a whole family hug. lots of prayers too. now deary....i am waiting and keep checking the photo plog for new pictures of that baby. but in all this...how are YOU?

remember shelley had her thryoid out recently. she posted a lot about it.

the efa's...they are awesome. grandmonkey is pretty smart cookie, but had the attention span of a nat. before school started i changed up his diet. added some of the foods that mrsd has in her thread and also give him a supplement.

he got straight E's (stands for exceeds expectations and has mastered all skills) on his report card and his been nominated to be tested for the gifted and talented. i believe without the efa's this would not have happened. his attention span is 100 fold better. no problems sitting still and does not get distracted. i swear it has increased his appetite for learning!

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Bringing you before the Lord right now.
Gabby
I'm new to this board but after reading your post I just wish I could reach through this computer and give you a big hug!
texastglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:29 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
you are using the formula with DHA in it. (Lipil I think it is called).

How large is the goiter? What I am going to say now, I think you should keep from her....(does she read here?)
If so tell me after you read it and I'll delete it....

Removing a very large goiter is PAINFUL. A gal at work had one, and she told
me about it. Make sure you discuss this with the doctor beforehand, so there is no delay in getting proper pain relief. This gal was not told this, and there was a delay getting the morphine for her. (it is one of those horror type stories).
But typically thyroid surgery does not hurt that much. She is the only one of the many I have seen who had that experience and her goiter was large.

If you suspect ADHD in this baby...now is the time to use EFAs liberally. EFA supplements reversed my son's severe ADHD. My EFA thread has details about that. I was very deficient during my pregnancy and the formulas we had back then did not have DHA in them. Although we did fish occasionally, it was not enough. There is a pudding for small children called Coromega. And chewables.
But for now the formula is adequate.

Your daughter can use this:
http://www.expectalipil.com/
helps with postpartum depression and healing. I don't expect she is nursing now however.

This explains the formulas:
http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/Conte...ut_LIPIL/LIPIL

I believe you can really avoid problems concerning ADD/ADHD this way now. This is the BEST time. Also avoid transfats...transfats are TERRIBLE for developing brains. It is easier to do this now, with the food changes going on.
Even fast foods and restaurants are removing transfats commonly now.

Thyroid surgery is very easy now. The medical community has become very good at this. You'll just have to take it one step at a time. I've been hypo for many years, and still function well. I have to watch it however! And no more zooming around! In other words, expect to be tired, and give yourself enough rest. Coming off hyper situation, it might be more of a shock. I went the other way from hypo to near normal. At least that racing heart will stop...that is a terrible thing to live with...it can drive a person nuts--the anxiety and all.

If you want me to delete the pain references, just let me know.

I didn't know that about the DHA but he's using the similac advance and this is a bit about it:

Quote:
• No other formula has a higher level of special nutrients* to help strengthen baby’s developing immune system.
• Provides 50% more calcium absorption than Enfamil®† for strong bones
• Improved powder formula has fewer bubbles!
• Has DHA and ARA to help baby’s brain and eyes develop
No, she doesn't read here and I appreciate the honesty there. The goiter isn't as large as some I've seen online...i think only four times larger than actual thyroid (which is relatively small). It doesn't affect her swalling or breathing at all...well, except when coughing hard or something.

Thank you so much for sharing your story as well and I'll probably be asking soon about HYPO.

I just appreciate you so much.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>