ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Steve Steps Out In Memory Of Dad

STEVE STEPS OUT IN MEMORY OF DAD
By Middlesbrough FC

The son of Boro legend Willie Maddren is preparing to face the icy conditions of the Arctic Circle in a massive fundraising effort in his father’s memory.

Steve Maddren is set to tackle a gruelling week-long trek across the frozen continent in temperatures that could plummet to as low as –45 degrees Centigrade.

The 31-year-old is taking up the arduous challenge in a bid to raise £10,000 for research into Motor Neurone Disease, the muscle-wasting illness that took his father’s life in 2000.

An heroic effort by the former Boro star and manager helped raise huge amounts of money for research into MND while he bravely fought the illness.

On February 23, Steve will fly 200 miles inside the Arctic circle to a place called Kiruna. From there he will set off as part of a team of seventeen adventurers, including an extreme weather guide and support doctor. Each will be in charge of a pack of Huskies and sled.

Steve, who lives near Twickenham, has been promised that each day of the 215km trek across the frozen lakes and mountains of the Arctic will be long and physically arduous.

He is preparing himself for up to eight hours trekking through thick snow and ice each day, often not reaching the camp site until after dark, with navigation using just head torches, a compass and the Northern Lights!

Each night he will be responsible for tending to and feeding the dogs, as well as cooking high carbohydrate food such as meat stew and rice as part of a 6,000 calorie per day diet.

Part of the trip entails visiting a local Saami village where Steve will meet the local inhabitants and learn how to catch his evening meal by ice fishing.

“The sole reason I am undertaking this trek is to raise much needed funds and awareness of Motor Neurone Disease,” said Steve. “With no cure in sight, the charity desperately needs as much funding as possible.

“My Dad gave me huge inspiration whilst suffering the serious ill effects of the condition by his fund-raising efforts. I'm sure he would have taken great amusement at the thought of me freezing my behind off for a week dodging Polar Bears.

Keen rugby player Steve is already well along the road in his preparation for what he expects to be a severe test of determination and fitness. “I've had to forgo a season's rugby to avoid injury and I've spent months training in order to be fit enough to see out the trip.

“Although it will be physically demanding and incredibly hard work, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to what will undoubtedly be a very different experience.”

Although family and friends have already generously backed his fundraising to the tune of £4,000, Steve hopes that Teessiders, particularly Boro fans, will back him in his bid to hit his £10,000 target.

“Every penny counts, no matter how large or small,” he said.

Anyone who would like to make a donation to the MND Association by sponsoring Steve for the trek can do by visiting here where their donation will be made directly to the charity.
http://www.justgiving.com/stevemaddren

http://www.comeonboro.com:80/clubpr/440030.php

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement