ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart Dennis Mitchell is remembered as a loving family man

Tribute: Dennis Mitchell is remembered as a loving family man
By JACQUIE LEHATTO
Special to The Star

Mitchell family members showed off their holiday cheer in this Christmas 2005 photo. Who: Dennis Mitchell, 51, of Centerview, Mo.

When and how he died: Dec. 25 of a blood clot.

Surrounded by family: Mitchell, who had ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, had limited mobility for the past 18 months. But he had never been admitted to the hospital until just before Christmas.

“He didn’t want to spend Christmas there,” said his wife, Lyn Mitchell. “He’d ask everyone who came past the door, ‘Can I go home now?’ ”

She was preparing to take him home Christmas Day when he took a turn for the worse and died at 6 p.m. “In a way, it was a blessing,” she said. “All of his family had visited him. It was as if the Lord had everything lined up.”

Family first: Everyone who worked with Mitchell knew how much he loved his family. “All he talked about at work was his family,” said Steve Knott, who worked with Mitchell, an AT&T outside repairman, for more than 20 years.

Mitchell treated many people, including Knott, as if they were family, too. New to the job when he first was transferred to Kansas City, Knott found the work difficult, and few co-workers were willing to take the time to help him. Except for Mitchell, that is.

“When I asked a question, not only would he give me the answer, but he would show me how to do it,” Knott said. “I asked him once why he was showing me and teaching me his job, and he said, as far as he was concerned, if I could do it better than him, he said, ‘My hat’s off to you.’

“I never got better than Dennis. Dennis always excelled at any endeavor. And he was a man of faith, and his work ethic and his love of his family were his priorities.”

Loving husband: Mitchell met his wife, Lyn, in high school and never dated anyone else. They were married 29 years.

“He called me ‘Boots,’ ” Lyn Mitchell said. “You know, like the Nancy Sinatra song, because he said I could walk all over him and he didn’t care.”

In 2000, the couple bought their dream home, Clover Ridge Farms, where they raised registered Black Angus cattle. “We spent most of our marriage looking for the perfect farm,” Lyn Mitchell said.

As recently as a few weeks ago, with his family’s help, Mitchell got into his Bobcat and helped with clearing rocks and digging holes for fence posts. The couple had bought a hand-operated tractor and the Bobcat so Mitchell could continue working.

“He loved the outdoors,” Lyn Mitchell said. “He had worked outdoors his entire life.”

Devoted dad: Once he had worked in the Bobcat or tractor, he would be tired for days, said Mitchell’s daughter, Crystal Gatewood. But he remained busy from his recliner. “He would make phone calls to check up on everyone. He would call everyone to say ‘Hi,’ and he would hang up saying, ‘Have the best day ever.’ ”

Biggest fan: While they were growing up, Mitchell supported his son and daughter in their every activity. “He always believed in us more than we believed in ourselves,” Gatewood said. “It was my dream to play college softball. He helped me make that dream come true.”

One of Gatewood’s softball coaches came to her father’s memorial. “My dad never missed a game,” she said.

Survivors: His wife, mother, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, two grandchildren, two brothers, a sister and brother-in-law, nieces and nephews.

Last Words: “My dad was my best friend; he was my hero,” said his son, Matt Mitchell. “I have two little kids. I feel like I have these huge shoes to fill as a father and a family man, because that’s what mattered most to my father. I just hope I can be half the dad he was.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/431260.html

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement