ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Ribbon Peak challenge

Peak challenge
Jan 12 2008 by Eryl Crump, Daily Post

SIX men from North Wales climbed Snowdon last night at the start of a 24-hour climbing marathon.

Gwynedd councillor Gerald Parry of Caernarfon is leading the party which aims to complete the Three Peaks Challenge in winter.

The group hope to raise money for Motor Neurone disease sufferers.

Three Peaks walk involves climbing the highest mountains in Wales, England and Scotland – Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis respectively within 24 hours.

Before setting off, Gerald said: “It is normally done in the summer when the days are at their longest. We are hoping to do it in winter but will heed any weather warnings.”

The group plan to stay in Fort William tonight and travel back to Caernarfon tomorrow.

“I’m back at work on Monday,” added Gerald.

Keep up to date with the news. Receive our free E-Newsletters
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-20341546/

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up

Raising money in memory of Mike

RARING TO GO: Greg Farrimond, centre, with friends Isaac Greenwood and Sam Robinson

Warriors fans are planning a charitable expedition in memory of a rugby league legend - more than 20 people will climb up the UK's highest mountain to raise money for the Mike Gregory Trust.
The idea was sparked in an internet forum and the wheels are now in motion for the mammoth climb up Ben Nevis on May 24.

Fans Gregor Macmillan and Gemma Ratcliffe have both helped galvanise support for the walk through social networking site, Facebook and the website, wigan-warriors.com.
Gregor, 45, who lives in Glasgow, said: "We came up with the idea last year before Mike died, but because of weather issues we decided to wait until May.

"We have about 20 people who are interested already and the bunkhouse at the foot of Ben Nevis is fast filling up.
"I have only been a rugby league fan since 2003 after getting interested through a friend of mine, but I know what a great man Mike Gregory was.
"I was only aware of him as a manager but I know he was a great player too."

Gregor is how hoping for further support from current rugby stars and is planning a bucket collection at the Wakefield game on May 25.
He said: "We also want to approach Warrington to see if they or their fans would like to take part."
But one Warrington fan is already signed up.
Greg Farrimond, the nephew of Mike and Erica Gregory, will be joining the walkers and has enlisted five of his friends to boot.

The 18-year-old, of Standish Lower Ground said: "I've never really supported one team, I just supported Mike, so I'm stuck between Warrington and Wigan really.
"Not all my mates are rugby fans but they all loved Mike so they jumped at the chance to help out and come on the walk.
"Mike was a brilliant uncle to me and would do anything for anyone, he wasn't a typical sports star, that's why everyone loved him."

The sports journalism student at the University of Central Lancashire says Mike was like a second father figure to him.
He said: "Whenever he picked me up from school I'd have a big beaming smile across my face. What school kid wouldn't?"
Greg says he hopes that many more people will now join the walkers to help raise money for the trust.

He said: "Mike would have been the first person to help out in a situation like this so there's no way I wouldn't be involved.
"I just hope now I can be the kind of uncle to his two boys that he was to me. It will be pretty impossible but I'll definitely try my best."
The Mike Gregory Trust recently made substantial donations to the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) and Embrace, two charities that helped the rugby legend during his four year battle against illness.

To find out more information about the walk, or to sponsor the group, call 07716 261799.

http://www.wigantoday.net:80/wiganne...-of.3698757.jp

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote