Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neck Injections Of Lidocaine And Cortisone

HAD 8 INJECTIONS IN CERVICAL SPINE 4 ON EACH SIDE ON BACK OF NECK WITH LIDOCAINE AND CORTISONE FOR DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES, had noticeable relief especially in neck, and throat, dizzyness etc. only lasted for three or four days , have not returned for follow up yet, anyone experience a test like this with good results and know what it might mean. At first seems to suggest cervical involvement but wondering if the injectables in the general neck area can have an effect on the scalene muscles because of their close proximity.

Last edited by richard d; 01-16-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: EMPHASIS
richard d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-16-2008, 05:53 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had lidocaine injections about 6 months ago. I found them painful. Also, did not find any significant results. Good luck! Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
richard d (01-16-2008)
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard d View Post
HAD 8 INJECTIONS IN CERVICAL SPINE 4 ON EACH SIDE ON BACK OF NECK WITH LIDOCAINE AND CORTISONE FOR DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES, had noticeable relief especially in neck, and throat, dizzyness etc. only lasted for three or four days , have not returned for follow up yet, anyone experience a test like this with good results and know what it might mean. At first seems to suggest cervical involvement but wondering if the injectables in the general neck area can have an effect on the scalene muscles because of their close proximity.
I had lidocaine injections but only felt relief for 30 minutes or so. Wouldn't go through it again for that. I didn't have the cortisone though, hope that helps!
withmore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
richard d (01-22-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In 2005 when I first saw Dr Schwartzman he dx'd cervical plexus irritation as well as brachial plexus - this was first I'd heard of it. But it makes sense if you think of how the pain radiates from the thoracic outlet. It radiates upand across to the shoulder and down the arms to the hand, but also UP, from the scalenes and the spasmed upper back muscles, which is why we get the nasty trigger points and the horrid headaches.

Triggerpoint injections of lidocaine may give you even longer relief, although the added steroid may have given extra benefit. Problem is you don't want to use the steroids too often. But if you can hit the worst trigger points at the traps and lower neck you may find you don't need the upper cervical injections. Have someone carefully feel over the upper 1/2 of your back, especially the inner areas near the shoulder blade borders, and note the most
painful spots, the ones that make you hiss. Will feel as though there is a small pea or rock below the skin, rolling away from your fingers.

These muscles are aggravated because the nerves that provide power to them are compressed in the outlet, so the muscle isn't getting enough power from the source, so it can't function properly - a sick nerve means a sick muscle. (This is what kills me - then they tell you you have to "strengthen" those muscles - easy to SAY!!) But it works like a domino effect - each adjacent muscle served by the same nerve is also sick and aggravated, so the pain and spasms continue along the whole length of the affected nerve.
Best to try and find where it's affected the WORST and treat it there, the relief should be greatest along the entire nerve.

Be sure to dress warmly and wear a scarf around your neck to keep the effects lasting. Even better results may be had when the weather is warmer.
One problem I had was the pooling of the injection meds around the lymph nodes above my collar bones - it was very slow to drain the last few times!

Wish you continued success!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
richard d (01-22-2008)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If one of those "cervical" injections medicated the nerve or nerve root that is the root (haha) of us neuro TOS'ers problems, that would/should help relieve sx's down the length of the nerve.

The question is...did they do cervical trigger point injections ? or a cervical epidural inection ? My last trigger point injection ( of lido and steroid) was ust to the left of my spine and totally releived my symptoms for a few hours (the length of time the lido works for), but then it was all back. Next they plan to try an epidural to see if that will calm the nerve root (where it leaves the spinal cord)

The only thing that I have heard referred to as a diagnostic test is a scalene block (into the scalene muscle) which is supposed to be a good indicator for surgery to snip the ol' scalenes.
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
richard d (01-22-2008)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I haven't had a nerve block since July (I think); the ones that I had were Lidocaine, a cortisteroid injected on the inside of my arm, below the bicep. I think that was right into the BP, or part of the BP at least. Assuming I didn't do anything stupid (BIG assumption ) I would get some pain relief for anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks.

Currently redefining 8,9,10 ......

dabbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote