Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Interesting prospective from my doctor

Warning: This is intended to focus on my doctor's philosophy which I now want to inherit as my own. It is not meant to be a pat on the back for me. I liked his philosophy and if it helps anyone, I think he would appreciate it.

A couple of weeks ago I went in to see my family doctor for a check up. I love this doctor. He has seen me through some pretty rough stuff over my long medical history. He came in and asked how I was and I said, "I'm at my new normal." He laughed and we moved on to the check up.

Yesterday DH had to go in because he hurt his back. I went with him. He told DH about my response and laughed again. He then began to talk about the difference in pain vs. suffering. He made a good point: We (especially those dealing with a chronic illness) experinece pain. Suffering is the mental anguish that accompanies how we feel about the pain.

He pointed out that he thought even though he has no idea what goes through my mind at night (I must admit this is when I slip) but that I seemed to have grasped the difference. He liked my "new normal" answer. I thought about this a lot yesterday and I have to admit I agree with him. He is very good about giving me medicine to deal with pain, but I think for me at least I can let my mind drift at home away from everyone else and dwell on the pain too much. It then clouds relationships, outings, etc. In front of other people (including the doc) I can put on a front and it is not what is truly in my mind.

Maybe it should be.
GIGI69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I tend to think that if we "put on a happy face" it not only makes us pleasant to be around but in a way it can distract us even if only for a monent from our problems.
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

GiGi I have to tell you that once I digested my Dx the first thing I told my DH was that "life will get back to normal it will be a new normal but we would find it together."

Great minds honey great minds
ckepi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote