ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Trophy Derek Thorn teams up with the "Racin for a Cure" for the 2008 season in the ASA Late

Derek Thorn teams up with the "Racin for a Cure" for the 2008 season in the ASA Late Model Series Challenge and Northern Divisions.
Posted January 22nd, 2008

2007 Pat Bourdow Memorial Rookie of the Year Runner-Up, Derek Thorn (Right) and his Agent, Scott Pfeiffer (Left), who suffers from Lou Gehrig's Disease, have formed "Racin for a Cure" and will run the full 2008 seasons in both the ASALMS Challenge and Northern Divisions. (Racin for a Cure Photo)

By Matt Prieur-ASA Late Model Series
Lexington, Michigan (01/22/2008): Sometimes in life there are more important things to worry about other than "How we're going to be able to pay for all of this to go and race?" Some things just have to take a back seat to our passion for Auto Racing, such as life! 2007 Pat Bourdow Memorial Rookie of the Year Runner-Up Derek Thorn knows that all to well.

Thorn's Agent, Scott Pfeiffer suffers from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease" yet despite his trials and tribulations just to get to the track, Pfeiffer is always there for his driver and now Thorn is able to return the favor.

For the 2008 racing season, Thorn and Pfeiffer have formed a brand new ASA Late Model Series Team; "Racin For a Cure" in conjunction with Shawn Keep Inc. While Thorn wheels a brand new #44 machine in the ASALMS Challenge and Northern Divisions in 2008, he'll also be helping his dear friend fight a treacherous and life threatening disease.

"Racin for a Cure is going to be great program for the 2008 season. Its going to raise awareness and help find a cure for the disease ALS, which my agent (Scott Pfeiffer) is suffering from." Thorn explained. "Being able to do my part while doing something I love will be a win-win situation for me and this ever devastating disease and the families that are affected by it."

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or "Lou Gehrig's Disease" is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body.

The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually lead to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

"My heart really goes out to everyone when they have a loved one afflicted with ALS. The patient, care-giver, family and children. It affects everyone!" Stated Mary Druml, President of the ALS Wisconsin Chapter.

"Young women and men are trapped inside a body that can no longer hug or express. We will walk and talk for them and be their arms and legs until we find an answer to this horrific disease." She continued.

"Derek and Scott have been such an inspiration not only to the ALS families and Association but to all who have been confronted with a battle and when you need to step up to the plate and fight. One person can not do it on his own esp. with ALS. Derek is the type of friend who everyone needs at a time of crisis." She added.

Druml then concluded: "When you fight this battle you are "racing against time!"; Time with your loved ones, time with personal needs, and time to say goodbye. On or off the racetrack Derek, Scott and their families and friends will fight ALS, We are all racin for a cure!" She ended.

"Winning has different meanings for different people. Scott Pfeiffer is planning on not only winning at the track, but also in his fight against ALS." Stated Melanie M. Roach-Bekos, Executive Director ALS.

"He is the driving force behind his crew in their determination to bring public awareness to the affects of ALS on patients and their families. The sweet victory in the fight against ALS would be a win for all!"

Roach-Bekos then added: "Racing is in his blood. Now it is a race for time as he fights the rapid progression of ALS. The only time clock is the one that robs his body of movement and time is ticking. Scott is ready to race this race, the race of his life. He has the determination, strength and support to cross the finish line."

"Derek Thorn shows he is a team player on and off the track through his relationship with Scott." She continued. "On the track they show incredible potential realizing the importance of every second. The same came be said about their teamwork approach to fighting ALS knowing that time is the biggest factor in their fight."

"Derek, a young and promising NASCAR driver is partnering with the Wisconsin ALS Chapter to bring national ALS awareness to people around the country through the new program Racin for a Cure." Roach-Bekos remarked.

"The number of people Derek can reach in one race is unbelievable. He exemplifies the teamwork needed to make a difference in the ALS fight. Together there is no doubt we can be victorious. Racin for a Cure needs a driving force to get the message out, Derek has the track record and commitment." She ended.

As for the racing end of the new "Racing for a Cure" team, Thorn reflected on his 2007 racing season with his old team, 5K Motorsports, and has high hopes coming into the 2008 campaign. "I learned a lot in 2007, Patience was probably the most acquired strength." He explained.

"I was fast at every track we went to if not the fastest, we qualified very well, and except for a few races we always ran up front. After the first Four races of last season where we had Three (3) Top Three's and a win and then we ran into a lot of bad luck and some bad driving on my part."

During the 2007 season running the full schedule in the ASALMS Challenge Division, Thorn finished Fifth overall and was the runner-up behind Sean Murphy in the chase for the 2007 ASALMS Challenge Division Pat Bourdow Memorial Rookie of the Year title.

The Lakeport, California driver recorded One (1) Feature Win, which came in the Music City Spring Clash 200 at the Music City (TN) Motorplex on March 31, 2007. He also registered Four (4) Top Five finishes as well as Seven (7) Top 10 showings and Eight (8) Top 15 place finishes.

Thorn also recorded Two (2) Fast Qualifier Awards with the first coming in the Barron Motor Supply / Crate Motor Classic 200 Presented by Cassill Motors at the Hawkeye Downs (IA) Speedway on May 12, 2007 and again in the Adam Petty Memorial / All-American 200 at the Music City (TN) Motorplex on November 3, 2007.

"Every race in 2007 taught me something." Thorn added. "At the season ending race in Pensacola it felt like everything had come together with our runner up finish. So I'm looking forward to carrying over my last years success with a new team and crew chief."

As for his new Crew Chief, Chad Wood has stepped in to fill that role for the "Racin for a Cure" team. The Madison, Wisconsin veteran, still amongst the all-time leaders in most statistical categories in ASALMS history, comes to the team after spending the 2007 season with the now disbanded Menards Racing Team and driver, Charlie Menard.

"Chad Wood has agreed to become the crew chief for our new operation, Racin for a Cure in 2008. Which we partnered up with Shawn Keep Inc., Racin for a Cure, and Pathfinder Chassis to start up a brand new 2008 ASA Late Model Team." Thorn remarked.

"I had the privilege of working with Chad in the Adam Petty Memorial / All American 200 in Nashville at the end of last season and we had fast time over a field of more than 55 cars the first time working together!" Thorn reflected.

"We got caught up in an unfortunate incident early in the race which took us out of contention. But man, Chad worked extremely hard all weekend to get me a car capable of winning, and its that kind of attitude you need to be up on the podium every week."

"Chad has a tremendous amount of talent and I wouldn't want to have anyone else up on top of that pit box in 2008 calling the shots." Thorn ended. In addition to the ASALMS Challenge and Northern Divisions, Thorn also plans on making select appearances in the NASCAR Camping World Grand National East Series when his ASALMS schedule allows.

"I'm very excited that I'll be working with "Racin' For A Cure", Derek Thorn, and Shawn Keep Inc. With the circumstances that unfolded last year, my family and I did not know which direction to go."> Stated new Crew Chief, Chad Wood.

"Last November I was contacted by Scott (Pfeiffer) to crew chief for Derek at Nashville and then to go and perform as well as we did, things were looking in the right direction. I now have the opportunity to be part of this new team, and I can't wait to get started." Wood added.

Wood had nothing but praise for his new driver: "To have a driver like Derek behind the wheel is awesome. Watching him last year, I saw him go from a good race car driver to a great one. He really showed how far he had come at Five Flags Speedway. He showed that he could be patient and smart through a 200 lap race. These characteristics of such a talented driver make me very excited to be the Crew Chief for Derek."

As for Racin for a Cure, Wood is truly honored to be a part of such a great cause. "The greatest thing about this new team is working with the ALS Association. Bringing awareness to a disease that most people don't know much about is something that I truly believe in, and racing is a great tool to use to bring attention to such an important and devastating disease."

"The other part about this new team that I am grateful for is the chance to work with Scott Pfeiffer. As Derek has previously stated, Scott has ALS, and to work together with him for this great cause is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience." Wood ended.

The 2008 racing season for the "Racin for a Cure" Team begins with 2008 ASALMS Challenge Division Season Opener at the Tri-County (NC) Motor Speedway in Hudson, North Carolina on Friday and Saturday March 14-15, 2008 for the Rumble in the Hills/North Carolina 200.

After the second ASALMS Challenge Division event, the Music City Spring Clash 200 is next and Thorn is the defending champion of the race! The Music City (TN) Motorplex in Nashville, Tennessee hosts on Friday and Saturday April 4-5, 2008.

Then a week later, the 2008 ASALMS Northern Division season begins with the Glass Breaker 200 on Friday and Saturday April 11-12, 2008 at the Toledo (OH) Speedway in Toledo, Ohio. The 0.500 Mile High-Banked Paved Oval is the site of Thorn and 2007 ASALMS Challenge Division Champion, Travis Dassow's epic battle for the win in last years Challenge Division event, the Glass Breaker 200, eventually won by Dassow.

Thorn started his racing career in go-carts and raced the 1/8th mile Cycleland Speedway in Chico, California three times with a win in the box-stocks, a top five in the 125cc class and another top five in the amateur 500cc class.

He then raced the 1/16th mile Mini World of Super Outlaw Dirt track in his hometown of Lakeport, California close to 75 times over his career with six wins in the box-stock class but had 12 overall wins and two championships in the 125 cc class in two years.

In 2001, he raced double duty in 125cc's and 500cc's for a year in and then bought a Bomber (Street Stock) car half way through the season in 2001 on the ¼ mile asphalt Lakeport Speedway and ended up 19th in points for the year.

After building a new car for the next season, Thorn was introduced to local race car fabricator Dana Stahl and Stahl Racing, along with Thorn built a bomber from the ground up late into 2001. In 2002 Thorn set fast time 18 out of the 20 races and broke the track record for the bomber division three times before the year ended while also winning eight main events.

Late into 2002, Thorn moved up to the open wheel modifieds division and in 2003 season back at Lakeport Speedway, he had two fast times and many trophy dash starts, along-with one Feature win.

In 2004, Thorn decided to try for the championship at the newly NASCAR sanctioned Shasta Raceway Park in Anderson, California, about three hours northwest of Lakeport. The racing year started off wet in Anderson with the first four races cancelled, so the team decided to stick closer to home and ran Ukiah speedway in Ukiah, California, winning three out of four Features.

When the season finally opened up in Anderson, they continued the momentum built up in Ukiah and captured opening nights fast time and main event win. Thorn followed that up with eight more fast times and four more Feature wins to go with 14 top five's and 16 top 10's which was good enough to be crowned the 2004 Track Champion!

During the 2005 season, Thorn's first in a Super Late Model, he ran with the North State Challenge Series and won three Features, while picking up seven Top Fives and 10 Top 10's to go with six Fast Qualifier Awards to win the series Rookie of the Year Award while finishing third overall.

In 2006 season, a 20-year-old Thorn made two appearances in the ASALMS, his first came during the ASALMS Northern Division Season Championships, the 37th annual Oktoberfest 100 at the LaCrosse (WI) Fairgrounds Speedway where he came home an impressive fourth in the 100-lap Feature.

Thorn also started the ASALMS portion of the All-American 400 Weekend at the Music City (TN) Motorplex where he led 137 laps en route to a strong second place showing. In both of those events, he was driving for 5K Motorsports.

He also competed full-time in the Willows, California based North State Challenge Series in 2006. Thorn finished to second in the final points standings with two Feature wins, both coming at the Redwood Acres (CA) Raceway to go with seven Top Fives, and nine Top 10s in 10 starts. In addition, Thorn picked up the Fast Qualifier Award on three occasions.

For the 2008 racing season, Thorn will steer the #44 Racin for Cure Ford Fusion with sponsorship coming from; Promo Giant.com, Lucas Oil Products, Innovation Retrokits, Innovation Mold and Design, Optima Batteries, Pathfinder Chassis, and M.P.H. Promotions.

For more information about the Racin for a Cure Team and driver Derek Thorn, visit there website at: Derek Thorn.com

Also for more information about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and to make a donation, please make the check out to the ALS-Wisconsin Chapter and in the memo portion of the Check, please write "Racin for a Cure".

100% of all donations go directly to the ALS-Wisconsin Chapter for research and awareness. Please go to their website for more information at: ALS-Wisconsin Chapter Website

http://www.asalatemodelsnorth.com/?p=1120

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement