ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Post A strong 'Faith'

Faith Wilkinson talks about her life, Wednesday at her Townsend home. (SENTINEL & ENTERPRISE / SARAH BRITAIN)

A strong 'Faith'
By Brian Lepire
Article Launched: 01/28/2008 10:02:28 AM EST

TOWNSEND -- Faith Wilkinson slammed her fist onto her kitchen table during a recent interview as she thought about the day in August when her doctors told her she had Lou Gehrig's disease.

It was a rare moment of frustration for the 63-year-old mother of two, but the anger quickly disappeared from her face, replaced by a warm smile.

"I'm on medication," Faith Wilkinson said. "I can do everything still."

She sometimes walks with a cane, as her right leg continues to get weaker.

Her words also sometimes come out a bit mumbled, as the muscles in her jaw have started to fall victim to the disease, but Faith Wilkinson is still active and friendly.

"She was just roasting some peppers this morning," her husband, Bill Wilkinson, said. "That's probably what that aroma is."

Faith Wilkinson has been an active part of the community for the past 38 years -- serving on several town committees since she moved to Townsend with her husband and two young children, Bill Wilkinson said.

"We had two pre-school children and I was working in Natick, so I was out of town all the time," he said. "She just started to become involved."

Wilkinson, a former medical secretary for a local doctor, is both a library trustee and a member of the Amanda E. Dwight Entertainment Fund -- a group that promotes cultural events in Townsend.

When she's not sitting on some committee, it's not unusual to see Wilkinson volunteering her time at Atwood Acres senior housing

facility, offering to take residents on their daily errands, Bill Wilkinson said.
Helping others is just a part of Faith Wilkinson's personality, said long-time friend and fellow trustee June Beauchesne.

"She's just a person that reaches out to people around her," Beauchesne said. "She just has that ability to reach out and love."

Faith Wilkinson is not the type of person to let her disease -- also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- get in the way of her many roles in town, friends said.

"I've never once heard a 'woe is me' come out of her lips," said Beauchesne.

ALS is a neurological disorder that attacks the muscles in the body, as well as the brain and spinal cord. A patient in the final stages of ALS can become completely paralyzed and ultimately die, according to the ALS Association.

Bill Wilkinson admires his wife's preference to help others, even when the odds are against her.

"She has an indomitable spirit," said Bill Wilkinson.

Faith Wilkinson said her personal motto is "Never say no," an attitude that became evident when she was diagnosed with breast cancer 17 years ago.

She conquered the disease and went on to organize Daffodil Days -- a charity event to raise money for cancer research through flower sales.

"If you couldn't tell, I'm very proud of this woman," Bill Wilkinson said.

Others in town are also proud of Faith Wilkinson.

"We all admire her," said Assistant Town Clerk Sue Funiaole. "She doesn't let anything get her down."

Faith Wilkinson said she doesn't have time to complain about her situation.

The Wilkinsons are avid travelers, traveling across the country with friends, or visiting their daughter, Jennifer, in California's wine country.

Their son Bill -- who lives in Bolton -- works in the wine business, as well.

"We always know what we're getting for Christmas," said Bill Wilkinson.

Faith Wilkinson's eyes lit up as she talked about her first grandchild, due in July.

"I'm so excited," she said.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com...459?source=rss

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement