ALS News & Research For postings of news or research links and articles related to ALS

advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up SCANDONE Shines At Miami OCR

SCANDONE Shines At Miami OCR

Nick SCANDONE and Maureen MCKINNON-TUCKER had another perfect day in the SKUD18
©Dan Nerney/Rolex

Rolex Miami OCR 2008
Miami, Florida, USA

After postponements due to light wind, competitors basked in sunshine and steadily increasing breezes on Biscayne Bay, completing day two of US SAILING's ISAF Grade 1 Rolex Miami OCR.
Ynglings, Lasers and 2.4 Metres have now completed five races, while the Laser Radials, Stars, SKUD18s and Sonars have each completed four. The regatta, as important for establishing a sailor's ISAF World Sailing Ranking as it is for providing a warm-weather elite training option for Europeans, has this year attracted dozens of teams selected by their countries for the 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Sailing Competitions, set for August and September, respectively, in Qingdao, China.

One of those teams is Nick SCANDONE and Maureen MCKINNON-TUCKER (USA), the USA's Paralympic representatives in the SKUD18 class and the only ones at this regatta with a perfect score. With four points overall, they are eight points ahead of fellow US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics members Scott WHITMAN and Julia DORSETT (USA). The duo has turned in significant margins of victory in the 10-boat fleet, including a 2 minute lead at the finish of race 1 today.

"So far so good," said SCANDONE, who has perhaps the most SKUD18 sailing experience of all competitors here. "We're going real well and playing the shifts correctly; our extra time in the boat has paid off."

The SKUD18, because it is built in Indonesia and did not have an established class before it was chosen to make its Paralympic debut in 2008, has been difficult for teams to acquire. US SAILING bought the first handful built, and SCANDONE bought his own only after the progression of his ALS (Lou Gehrig's) disease, diagnosed in 2002, made it impossible to sail his initial Paralympic boat of choice, the 2.4 Metre.

"You have to be rated a 'one' (the highest level of disability) to skipper the SKUD18," said SCANDONE, who was rated a 'three' when he was named US SAILING's Rolex Yachtsman of the Year in 2005 for his 2.4 Metre prowess. "Four years ago at this regatta, I was a 'six' [seven being the lowest level]."

While many Paralympic athletes here began sailing after they became disabled, SCANDONE's experience goes back to his childhood and continued through college where he was an ICSA All-American – a history that sailors think will bode well for him at the Paralympic Games.

"It's all about China," said SCANDONE, "making sure I'm healthy enough to attend." After dealing with more immediate adversity just before the regatta – SCANDONE's father-in-law died and MCKINNON-TUCKER's two-year-old son underwent brain surgery – SCANDONE says it has also been about putting those distractions, however sad and difficult, aside: "Stay in our game; do our best to bring home the gold."

According to skipper Paul CALLAHAN (USA), who currently sits in seventh in the Sonar class where Germany's Jens KROKER leads, "Today's gently oscillating seabreeze proved to be more challenging as the day went on. As for the competition here, it's deadly if you make a mistake."

Twenty-eight Yngling crews are competing this week in Miami, in a dry run for the Yngling Worlds, scheduled to start on the same waters on 8 February. Defending World Champions and world #1 crew Sarah AYTON, Sarah WEBB and Pippa WILSON (GBR) hold the lead after the opening five races with 6,6,1,23,1 scores. The Russian team of Ekaterina SKUDINA (RUS) are second overall, just three points behind.

In the Laser Radial fleet, Paige RAILEY (USA) had a great day with two bullets lifting her above Anna TUNNICLIFFE (USA) in the overall standings. These two skippers are already stretching away from the rest of the fleet, with Penny CLARK (GBR) a distant third on 23 points, 16 off the lead. Amongst the Laser fleet, Maciej GRABOWSKI (POL) held on to his overall lead with 6,4,2 scores.

There is more of the same, weather- and competition-wise, in store for tomorrow when fleet racing resumes. It continues through Friday for all classes, with the top-ten from each Olympic Class staying on for Medal Races on Saturday.

http://www.sailing.org/22056.php

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-09-2008, 01:18 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Unforeseen Change of Course for Ailing Sailor

By CHRIS MUSELER
Published: February 9, 2008

Last week, a drained Nick Scandone sat at the Coral Reef Yacht Club bar in Miami after dominating an international sailing fleet and winning the Rolex Miami Olympic Classes Regatta with seven firsts out of 11 races. For Scandone, a member of the United States sailing team, this was one of many training regattas on his schedule leading up to the race of a lifetime in China at the end of the summer.

Scandone had hoped to be in this position 16 years ago when he was competing for a spot at the Barcelona Games in 1992. He failed to qualify for that team, and four years ago was thrown a curve that has ultimately allowed him to make it to Beijing. He learned that he had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

Despite the uncomfortable reality that Scandone's body will continue to deteriorate, he remains a favorite at the Paralympic Games in September in Beijing.

"It's not exactly as I had envisioned it," said Scandone, 43, of Fountain Valley, Calif., who stopped racing competitively after failing to make the Barcelona Games. "But I'm still living the dream. I'm exhausted but I'll be right back at it and energized when I get home."

After learning of his diagnosis, Scandone quit his job and returned to racing, competing in the single-handed 2.4-meter class. He won the 2005 Open World Championships in that class and was named the Rolex Yachtsman of the Year. He planned to compete for spot in the single-handed 2.4 for this year's Paralympics until he became physically unable to sail. But the newly added Skud 18 class has given Scandone another chance at his Olympic dream. He started sailing in that class a year ago, quickly picking up victories. This week he started training in Southern California again with his crew, Maureen McKinnon-Tucker. He spends four hours a day on the water.

The next event for Scandone is in March. After that, the goal is a test event in China in May. Scandone will move to China this summer to prepare for the Paralympics.

The high-speed Skud 18, a two-person sailboat, is one of three sailing classes in the Paralympics.

A sailor's mobility is rated on a scale of one to seven. The more severe the disability - full paralysis for example - the lower the rating.

Scandone, whose mobility was rated as a seven when he began competing in the single-handed 2.4 in 2005, is now nearing a No. 1 rating. Competitors in the Skud 18 must have a rating near the lower end of the scale. The sailors are strapped into go-kart-style seats one in front of the other. The seats tilt from side to side with electric motors to keep them upright as the boat heels. The sailors rest their hands on push and pull levers to steer.

"What amazes me about Nick is that he's still striving to get better at the game," Betsy Allison, Scandone's coach, said in a telephone interview last Saturday. "He wants to be at the top of the podium and his mental capacity is still so acute."

Allison said she encouraged most disabled sailors to do much of the sail and boat preparation.

Scandone's situation is special, however, because he gets weaker each month.

"We are now managing within the changing parameters of the disease," she said, adding that she and her assistants rig and de-rig the boat for Scandone. "It's less coaching and more making sure he doesn't overtax himself."

Doctors who work with terminally ill patients have used examples like Scandone to help their patients gain control over an otherwise uncontrollable disease.

"A.L.S. is fatal and the outcome is certain," said Dr. Judith Rabkin, a professor of clinical psychology at Columbia University. "But today, doctors, nurses and physical therapists are trying harder to encourage their patients to actively cope. It could affect their survival."

Rabkin, who said the median life expectancy of A.L.S. patients after diagnosis was three years, added: "Nick is unusual. He's quite lucky if he's still able to sail. His disease is progressing but he's enjoying life and thriving on the success of his passion. That's exceptional. He's a wonderful model of how to live life gracefully."

But the reality is that by September, Scandone may not be physically able to compete for the United States. "The question came up at a meeting," Gary Jobson, a member of the Olympic Sailing Committee, said Wednesday, "and I stood up and said, ‘Nick Scandone will tell us if he can't do it. Until he does, he's our guy.' "

Scandone said sailing had "given me a reason to get up in the morning."

He added: "I slowly become more paralyzed. I can sit back and watch it happen, but that's going to happen anyway so I might as well do what I love."

Scandone, who has beaten many of the sailors he will face at the Paralympics, is not taking anything for granted.

"I'm taking this one event at a time," he said. "At the Olympics you're representing more than yourself. You feel that you have a lot more weight on your shoulders. I'll enjoy that weight while I have it. What's next after that, I don't know."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/sp...tml?ref=sports

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote