Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Poll Next Step?

I was wondering what my next step should be? I have ahd bi-lateral rib resections, and they were not successful. My PCP just keeps prescribing pain meds.
My question is, should I ask for a refferalto a nuerologist, rheumatologist, rehab, ortho? I am tired of being pumped full of drugs, and no steps being made to move on and get better.
Any ideas?
Trix
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixlynn View Post
I was wondering what my next step should be? I have ahd bi-lateral rib resections, and they were not successful. My PCP just keeps prescribing pain meds.
My question is, should I ask for a refferalto a nuerologist, rheumatologist, rehab, ortho? I am tired of being pumped full of drugs, and no steps being made to move on and get better.
Any ideas?
Trix
for me, the next step has been to see the neurologist and have another round of scalene blocks to see if more surgery might be useful. Dr Ahn will perform a more complete scalenectomy supraclavicularly if the txiallery rib resection isn't enough.

if that still doesn't work, he also offers a pec minor tenotomy, now.

I am having more surgery, and after that i expect i might still need botox injections to really function well...

If you are still having multiple problems, i would try to get back to a knowledgeable neuro who might help dx any other issues. I would ALSO go get a full rheumy work up, and any other thing you can think of that might be having an effect. Also, get yourself into some good massage therapy or physical therapy with someone who can work on soemthing like feldenkrais or alexander technique who is used to workign with people in chronic pain. Some gentle assitance gaining range of motion or helping to stand up straighter can make a lot of difference.

wish i had somethign better to tell you, that is just what i would do.

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default one way to find a massage therapist

On Dr Weil's website I found the American Massage Therapy Association website.

I was able to find a wonderful massage therapist who was trained in neuromuscular massage(very important)
He works in a physical therapy office so insurance will pay for it.

http://www.amtamassage.org/
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It may take some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixlynn View Post
Any ideas?
Trix
How long has it been since you had surgery trix? My pain took 2 long years to go away after my surgery...I had some nerve blocks to help keep the pain away but it was a long hard road for my complete recovery. I still can not drive for long hours or type too long or it comes back but Im on no drugs for pain now and Im definatly much better than I was before the surgery. Everyone heals different and no 2 people are alike. I would think a good neurologist with definate knowledge of TOS could help you and may refer you to pain management for non narcotic pain relief like nerve blocks. Good luck