Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I am horrified man dumped from wheel chair by cop

Did any one else see this story?
A man entering a court house for trial for a traffic violation was dumped from his wheelchair because the cop didn't think he really needed it.

He was a quadriplegic!

Here is the link to the tape on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNU3FKiIlI

You learn to be a man and a warrior by sharing and by keeping promises. Kenneth Maryboy

DX w/MS 2/12/07 on Copaxone 3/07
ckepi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I saw this on TV yesterday - and it was very disturbing. The Sheriff's Deputy that dumped him out apparently thought the man was "faking it".

I'm always amazed at the extent of human unkindness. I hope that Deputy is reprimanded to the fullest extent of the law.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I am to

and then they released the 911 tapes of the lady (w/MS) who died in a fire not long ago. It was maddening!
GIGI69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

OMG! I can't believe what I just saw! This is beyond terrible, I'm at a loss for words right now.

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Suspended without pay!

The deputy in question and three others have been suspended without pay pending further investigation from what I understand. This never should have happened.

When my husband was injured at work, he went through several weeks where he couldn't get out and about and one day we decided to walk the short block and a half to Von's grocery store instead of taking the car. I figured if need be, he could sit on the bench outside the store and I would go get the car while he took care of the cart with the few groceries we bought. His knee hyperextended backwards and it pitched him on his face in front of the door or Von's....this was not his fault and it did happen from time to time after going through his PT and there wasn't a lot we could do about it. People stepped over him, kicking him as they did, making comments about him being a "&%$&#$*& drunk", he was stone sober, couldn't drink because of the meds he was on. Not one person would help me get him up to the bench, I did my best to drag him out of the way...so it happens in everyday life on the street too.

Ever alert to our needs, they nap nearby at a craft sale, they are with us every place we go....

CrystalSword is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Let me start off by saying what the deputy did was terrible and deserves whatever punishment is handed down.

With that said ~ put yourself if their shoes. Law enforcement sees the worst of the worst daily. They go out and deal with families who want a policeman to discipline their child because they have no control but when the officer tries to enforce the law the parents suddenly turn their anger onto the officer thus putting thier life in jeopardy. They deal with drug adicts that will do whatever they need to in order to get their next fix. They deal with liars, cheats, theifs, child molesters, murders...you name it they deal with it. I also realize they made the choice to become an officer but they are still human and make mistakes/poor judgement, they are no better than you or I.

Briefly trying to put their own problems to the back of their brains and following the law. We do not know if this deputy was dealing with any personal family tragedy but lets speculate that she was...have you ever dealt with family tragedy, gone about your day and not allowed it to spill over into what you are doing? If you can do this then you are part of the minority and hats off to you.

I am truly sorry this individual had to endure such humilating actions but step back and realize this deputy is a person first and a law enforcement officer second. Being an officer doesn't change the fact that she is human, behaves just like you or the person next to you at the store. Look at the story for what it was...a reflection of what our society has become.
bluz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There is no justification for any human being to do that to another.

From what the story said he was not doing anything to warrant being tossed from his chair.

There were four other deputies you can see them in the video they could have lifted him up. You do not dump any one on their face I don't care how bad a day you are having.

This man was in the local jail he was brought in in his wheel chair. He didn't just walk in off the street. He wasn't behaving oin a manner that was threatening. He was there for his court date for a traffic violation.

My BIL is a police officer so I know what they deal with, there is no excuse in this case.

They weren't pulling some guy over on the side of the road, he was there for his court date for a traffic violation not even a felony.

There is no excuse, none she should be fired.

You learn to be a man and a warrior by sharing and by keeping promises. Kenneth Maryboy

DX w/MS 2/12/07 on Copaxone 3/07
ckepi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckepi View Post
There is no justification for any human being to do that to another.

From what the story said he was not doing anything to warrant being tossed from his chair.

There were four other deputies you can see them in the video they could have lifted him up. You do not dump any one on their face I don't care how bad a day you are having.

This man was in the local jail he was brought in in his wheel chair. He didn't just walk in off the street. He wasn't behaving oin a manner that was threatening. He was there for his court date for a traffic violation.

My BIL is a police officer so I know what they deal with, there is no excuse in this case.

They weren't pulling some guy over on the side of the road, he was there for his court date for a traffic violation not even a felony.

There is no excuse, none she should be fired.
I agree! My ex was a police officer and I know first hand the stress that comes with the job and what they have to deal with day in and day out. Police officers are supposed to behave in a professional manner at all times, they are even expected to do so off duty. The other officers IMO were just as guilty as they just stood by observing, even laughing about it. Having a bad day is not an excuse for anyone to act in such a manner neither is blaming it on society. If bad behaviour is blamed on what kind of a day a person is having then what happens when the murderers etc. start saying they committed the crime because they were having a bad day?

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Yes, I saw this on the news yesterday!
Really, I just sat there with my mouth hangin' open (not pretty), couldn't even find words for this one..

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarExpress View Post
Yes, I saw this on the news yesterday!
Really, I just sat there with my mouth hangin' open (not pretty), couldn't even find words for this one..
I also couldn't believe what I was seeing, that someone in an authoritative position could be so cruel and unthinking. And not only the one who did the dumping, but everyone else who was in the room, saw what was happening and did nothing. Yes, I know law enforcement have a hard job & have to put up with all kinds of abuse and danger. But from what was shown, there was absolutely nothing that provoked this kind of reaction, & if this behavior is excused, then there really is no hope for our society.