Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default The Good News Thread

With all the unpleasantness going on in the world, I just thought it would be nice to see if we could seek out and share anything good and decent. Helps me keep a positive attitude.

Today, I saw a bit in my paper - would post a link, but it didn't make the online edition.

A Toledo Ohio barber gives free hair cuts to kids who come in with a book. If they're reading, the hair cut is on the house. His way of giving back to the community, and helping point kids in the right direction.

Good work, sir!

So, anybody else have some good news to share?
AZjanie (02-24-2008), FlyFishin Momma (02-19-2008), tkrik (02-21-2008)

advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thats so cool Brain...and this is a great thread idea............

I would much rather hear good news wouldnt you????

I have a great weekend planned......its kinda a secret for now but its going to be wonderful...I will fill in the details later......

I got my tax stuff all ready to go to "THE MAN" and am dropping them off to the CPA tomorrow....."THATS" good news in my book......

The sun is shining here and its a beautiful morning.....makes me sure spring is on its way........ "THAT" is WONDERFUL news to me......I even have some of my spring flowers comming up and I LOVE to see that.......Birds are swarming my feeders and singing so sweetly...........

aaaahhhhhh its all good!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Brain..you rock!!!!!
FlyFishin Momma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (02-20-2008)
Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

John Ratzenberger, who played a character on Cheers was on a radio talk show this morning and mentioned a website for a foundation he's associated with that helps kids learn new things.

http://www.nutsandboltsfoundation.org/

Parents can find sources for manufacturing, technology and engineering camps. They can be fun, as well as educational for kids as well as help the future of our country by encouraging idea development for our future leaders.

I think my boys would have liked it.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (02-20-2008), FlyFishin Momma (02-20-2008)
Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a great weekend. MY DB and his wife surprised us and called to say that they were flying to visit us! First time they've been to our home in NC or FL.

So we welcomed the visit and it was so nice to see them.

The weather even held and was nice.

They were coming in from the freezing North so even with it in the 50's or 60's they found it wonderful!

Anyway, nice time had by all.

Tootsie
Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A woman went into the grocery store to buy a bag of potatoes. She bought a lottery ticket and won $1 million!! Only way this could be better is if I had won the money!!!
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

There is a dentist from our town...who had gone overseas somewhere to donate time doing dental work....for poor...familys in the country...

Well the good news is...he came up with why cant we do that in our Country...so he and his wife..and another dentist....started a dental program in the St Vincent De Paul store...they do free dental work...I dont know all details...but I do know they are doing free work...they have dentists that volunteer some time there.....WAY COOL>>>>>news..I think..hugssss, sarah
sabimax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (02-20-2008), FlyFishin Momma (02-20-2008), tkrik (02-21-2008), Vonn07 (02-20-2008)
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

This will never make any newspapers, but I have to share this..Where I work, they have a "policy" that says you can be 3 min late to work, but if you're 4 minutes late a few times, they will make you take a week off without pay. The next time it happens, you're fired..
Now, I have sick time, vacation time, and FMLA, and I followed all the "rules", but this winter has been particularly rough on me, and I have been 4-5 minutes late more than once (I start at 6am)..Just came off my "week off" last Tuesday. Now, I am dealing with this through the proper channels (ADA, etc) and it will be worked out, but:
On Friday, my co-workers handed me a large cold storage carrier with roast, hamburger etc, money to make up for the lost week's wages, and gift certificates for gas and groceries. They gave me cards in which they wrote beautiful thoughts of support and friendship. How incredible is that?
I've always been blessed with wonderful people in my life, but this was an amazing surprise. They all work hard for what they have, and yet selflesslessly shared with another in need. I will always be touched by this, and don't know how I'll ever let them know that..But I'll find a way to try!

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-24-2008), Kitty (02-24-2008)
Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarExpress View Post
This will never make any newspapers, but I have to share this..Where I work, they have a "policy" that says you can be 3 min late to work, but if you're 4 minutes late a few times, they will make you take a week off without pay. The next time it happens, you're fired..
Now, I have sick time, vacation time, and FMLA, and I followed all the "rules", but this winter has been particularly rough on me, and I have been 4-5 minutes late more than once (I start at 6am)..Just came off my "week off" last Tuesday. Now, I am dealing with this through the proper channels (ADA, etc) and it will be worked out, but:
On Friday, my co-workers handed me a large cold storage carrier with roast, hamburger etc, money to make up for the lost week's wages, and gift certificates for gas and groceries. They gave me cards in which they wrote beautiful thoughts of support and friendship. How incredible is that?
I've always been blessed with wonderful people in my life, but this was an amazing surprise. They all work hard for what they have, and yet selflesslessly shared with another in need. I will always be touched by this, and don't know how I'll ever let them know that..But I'll find a way to try!

This kind of story just makes me smile. It's friends like these that show up when the chips are down - never looking for repayment - just "paying it forward".

They will be rewarded for their kindness. Maybe not specifically from you but they will reap the benefits from their selfless act tenfold.

I am a firm believer in Karma. You reap what you sow. If you steal $10 from your fellow human being then I believe you'll lose $10 (or more) somewhere along the way. If you help a person out in their time of need you will be blessed with more than you gave. I've seen it happen.

Thank you for sharing this - it's stories like this that reaffirm to me that there is hope for our world.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-24-2008), PolarExpress (02-24-2008)