Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 12:34 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Home Security???

I was curious if anyone here had alarm systems for their home. A year ago my wife and I moved into a home with a security system. The system was not monitored and we recently decided it might be a good idea. the reason why...

My van (which is parked in the driveway) was broken into on Tuesday and my expensive digital camera was stolen. I know a house alarm wouldn't have prevented that but it got me thinking about security and safety.

I am in a wheelchair and if I am in my computer room (where I spend 12 + hours a day) and someone were to break in, I am in trouble. I talked to the alarm company and they said since it is here, and in good condition, I can have it activated for $24.00 a month. I also have a key fob to carry around with me since I can't get into the alarm panel within the 60 seconds.

One thing I did do was order two color cameras with infared and night vision that are wireless to a receiver that can connect up to any TV/DVR/Tivo. I plan on hooking one over the garage to the front of the house, one over the front door and hook the receiver up to the TV/DVR in my computer room, that way, when someone comes over, I seem them coming.

So, I am not being paranoid, but I feel safer. I think we are going to activate the alarm system.

advertisement
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

we have one. i LOVE it.

i'm home alone during the day. so it makes me feel safer. plus the fact that our entry is downstairs.

i like being able to hear the chime when the door opens. weird..but for me it's like a "honey i'm home". but i have had it go off at the "wrong" time of day. the door didn't get shut enough and it blew open. and once the maintenance man tried to come in without ringing the bell.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Alarm systems

Earl
We had one installed when we moved into the house. Our DD was paranoid about living out "in the real world", after being in base housing her entire life.
Our house is huge [it's a Victorian built in 1865] and it is nice that when you are on the third floor [not that I get up there much anymore!!] you can hear the "beep" and know someone has come into the house.
Now that DD is older, she cannot 'sneak' in at 3am without us hearing the beep!! Payback is a b*#@h!!
Risby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (02-24-2008)
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Earl,

You're not being paranoid - you're being practical and realistic. Especially in this day and age people will do just about anything if they get desperate enough.

Those of us who are not as mobile as others especially need the added security. Your cameras will prove to be more of an added security to you than the alarm system.

My son (a police officer) told me that they get hundreds of "alarm" calls each week and most of them are nothing. The alarm has been tripped either by the power going off and then on again or even the homeowner themselves.

If you've ever seen the commercials for ADT and other home alarm systems each one shows the homeowner at home when the breakin occurs. If they are not at home and contact cannot immediately be made to confirm the actual breakin or medical emergency it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour before the local law enforcement agency is contacted by the alarm company.

I have an alarm system in my home (it was already in place when I moved in) and it costs me $29 a month but I feel safer with it because I am home 99 % of the time during the day and it makes me feel much more secure.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We've had an alarm system in two of our homes.

I never set the one in this house.

I find alarm systems, monitored or not, can lead to some strange stuff.

Still, they are probably a good idea.

We had ours monitored in Florida.

Here's a good story though:]

I woke up out of a dead sleep when our alarm went off. I leapt (well, sort of leapt...more like fell) out of bed; I stood there rocking back and forth trying to be awake.

DH was no where to be 'seen'. I was confused; the alarm was blaring.

If you think about it ....should you open the door to the bedroom or just 'wait'? If someone is out there you don't want to confront them. If the alarm company calls to see if you are okay what do you say when you don't know if someone is in the house?

Actually, in this case DH was the culprit.

He set the alarm and locked the doors at bedtime. He put his 'gun' (a water gun) next to the door to the lanai/pool.

Next morning when he heard our friend the Blue Heron arwk'ing as he relieved himself over the pool, DH made a dash for the door. He was in his underwear since that's what he sleeps in.

He whipped open the door, which set the alarm off. There he was illuminated in the security light, gun in hand like Rambo gone wrong. I was clueless and so that led to me standing there in mid/sleep/wake mode.

The Blue Heron just did his thing, squawked and flew off.

The alarm company called, DH had to explain he'd set the alarm off.

I had another similar thing happen when I burnt toast.

DH, his sister and bro-in law (they were visiting us) had gone for a walk and were saying "geez, someone's alarm is really blaring!' As they got closer to home they realized it was our home!

Hubby came running in to find me with the broom, wrong end up, trying to push the button on the fire alarm. Meanwhile the alarm company had dispatched the fire department.

I could have punched in the alarm code to turn it off, but I forgot the number (later we hid it near the alarm system).

I told them to call the fire department off as if they came they'd charge us for a false alarm!

So....alarms can help, but they can also lead to some funny stuff
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

sorry about the camera earl.
i think anything we can do to enhance our personal safety and deter criminals is a good thing.

especially if you're a more vulnerable citizen.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote