Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sister doesn't speak Spanish=No Job.

My sister in law lives in Miami and TWICE now has been turned down for jobs she is highly qualified for but has been rejected.

The first one even went as far as to offer her the $ amount and benefits etc. and then at the last minute she recieved and email that stated she couldn't be hired because she speaks English,...not because she doesn't speak Spanish, but because she speaks English... Good Lord!

She states she's going to have too leave the area to find work.

I know this is a hot topic but this is the first time this has affected someone I know, especially in my own family.

Oh well I guess.

Jamesnns is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 AM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Oh man. I'm afraid to say what I really think about this. I'll just say that it infuriates me and that I hope she knows a good lawyer.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (03-11-2008), sugarboo (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

That's terrible - too bad we have to struggle to understand half of the customer service reps that work the phones at the companies we give our business to. I've gotten to where I just say "I'm sorry, I cannot understand you. Please put an English speaking rep on the phone to help me." I don't feel bad about it and shouldn't have to apologize for it. I pay their salary with my business.

I'll stop now before I say something that gets me banned from this site!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-11-2008), sugarboo (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's all in the details. I would think that if a company refused to hire someone because they didn't speak Spanish as their main language..that would be discrimination and I'd look into that.

Now if she wasn't hired because she could not speak Spanish well enough to converse with customers who spoke Spanish; that's entirely different.

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

Try this link to decide if there has been actual discrimination.

Interesting to see what applies and what doesn't.

I remember one time when I worked in an office as a secretary and our office manager was interviewing for a position. A neat looking black woman came to apply and then left a bit later.

The Office Manager, a sweet gal and easy to work for, came out of her office and said 'That woman was very qualified, but I don't think I can work with a black person. Nothing against them though'. (It's been a while, so it was words similar to what I've written.)

I'd never experienced that kind of thing; almost fell off my chair. I do believe the Office Manager sincerely believed she could not co-exist with a black person in a working enviroment. Wow. That was awful and maybe I should have reported her.

Tootsie
Curious (03-11-2008), sugarboo (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

cubans said that? send em back to havana
AfterMyNap (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

http://www.vdare.com/

In Los Angeles, Hispanic Gangs Ethnically Cleansing Black Neighborhoods

By Brenda Walker

If Washington wanted to develop a vibrant underworld of vicious criminal gangs, it couldn't do any better than the immigration system now in place. The permissiveness toward lawbreaking border-crossers combined with the pure numbers of immigrants who cannot possibly be assimilated in such bulk has created a witches' brew of crime-spawning social pathology. The worst creatures are the Hispanic gangsters who kill innocent Americans in order to illustrate aptitude for savagery.

A recent heart-breaking example: the slaughter on March 2 of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw, Jr. The South Los Angeles high school student was shot dead just a few doors from home by two Latino men who jumped from a car and demanded to know to which gang he belonged. When he didn't answer, they shot him down. His father heard the shots and went outside to see his boy bleeding on the sidewalk. [A youth 'on track' until fatal gunfire, By Paloma Esquivel, Paul Pringle and Francisco Vara-Orta, LA Times, March 4, 2008]

Jamiel had no gang connections. He was apparently just another random victim of Hispanic gangsters killing blacks to drive them out of their corner of Aztlan. The promising football star had received inquiries from Stanford and Rutgers universities about a possible athletic scholarship. His mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, was called home from her second tour of duty in Iraq after the murder of her son.

The family is crushed. Dad Jamiel Sr. said they have "simply lost everything."

No arrests have been made in the case. The family is asking the public for help in bringing the killers to justice.

The murder has some similarities to the barbaric shooting of 14-year-old Cheryl Green in December of 2006. The eighth-grade student is said to have strayed into the territory of the 204th Street Latino gang, known for its anti-black racism; she was certainly killed because of her race and because of
AfterMyNap (03-11-2008), sugarboo (03-11-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouds z View Post
http://www.vdare.com/

In Los Angeles, Hispanic Gangs Ethnically Cleansing Black Neighborhoods

By Brenda Walker

If Washington wanted to develop a vibrant underworld of vicious criminal gangs, it couldn't do any better than the immigration system now in place. The permissiveness toward lawbreaking border-crossers combined with the pure numbers of immigrants who cannot possibly be assimilated in such bulk has created a witches' brew of crime-spawning social pathology. The worst creatures are the Hispanic gangsters who kill innocent Americans in order to illustrate aptitude for savagery.

A recent heart-breaking example: the slaughter on March 2 of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw, Jr. The South Los Angeles high school student was shot dead just a few doors from home by two Latino men who jumped from a car and demanded to know to which gang he belonged. When he didn't answer, they shot him down. His father heard the shots and went outside to see his boy bleeding on the sidewalk. [A youth 'on track' until fatal gunfire, By Paloma Esquivel, Paul Pringle and Francisco Vara-Orta, LA Times, March 4, 2008]

Jamiel had no gang connections. He was apparently just another random victim of Hispanic gangsters killing blacks to drive them out of their corner of Aztlan. The promising football star had received inquiries from Stanford and Rutgers universities about a possible athletic scholarship. His mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, was called home from her second tour of duty in Iraq after the murder of her son.

The family is crushed. Dad Jamiel Sr. said they have "simply lost everything."

No arrests have been made in the case. The family is asking the public for help in bringing the killers to justice.

The murder has some similarities to the barbaric shooting of 14-year-old Cheryl Green in December of 2006. The eighth-grade student is said to have strayed into the territory of the 204th Street Latino gang, known for its anti-black racism; she was certainly killed because of her race and because of
There sure is some bad stuff happening. I don't think those employers are gang related though.

The times are starting to remind of the old 'gang' days when Mafia gangs and wanna-be's worked the streets.

This is one of the reasons we have restrictions on legal immigration; so we can be selective. The immigration issues (Hispanics, whether Cuban or from Mexico, etc) are really serious.

Enough of the 'bleeding heart' type of left wing response. Poor hispanics just want a piece of the pie. Maybe so, but my ancestors did too and they waited a long time for the door to open legally. They played by the rules, which is the best way.

Imagine if an American citizen just 'immigrated' to another country minus the legal means of doing it. Think they'd tolerate it? Nope, dont think so.

Anyway, good article; sad stuff though.

Tootsie
Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i guess there is a news blackout on all the crime in border towns in texas bcause papers are afarid to print the stories
Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amL-ma5nXMU

shes Hispanic and shes sick of illegals i think she says

i havent seen this yet