Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Fun thing to do today

Here's something to do. Do a search for flowers, seeds and bulbs, hit all those sites and order flower and bulb catalogues.

I seldom order from any of them (okay, I do sometimes) but I get some great ideas. Plus it's nice to look at all the flowers.

I still have a bunch of mini roses I bought from Michigan Bulb years ago.

advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Years ago I was surfing around and found a company in Madison, Ohio called Bluestone Perennials. My mother grew up in Madison, and I got it in my mind that I wanted perennials that grew in the same dirt my mother lived on. What can I say? Anyway, I ordered some stuff and loved it, so I ordered from them a few times, and probably will again someday.

And while my mother was alive, she was touched and thrilled to see flowers blooming that started in her hometown!

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Do any of these places ever send you free seed packets or anything like that?

I have two flowerpots that I usually plant stuff in during May, but I'd like to put some seeds in and start growing something else. They sit outside my front door. I don't know if my landlord would say anything, but I'd like to start growing SOMETHING that I can use on my salads.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Do any of these places ever send you free seed packets or anything like that?

I have two flowerpots that I usually plant stuff in during May, but I'd like to put some seeds in and start growing something else. They sit outside my front door. I don't know if my landlord would say anything, but I'd like to start growing SOMETHING that I can use on my salads.

That I can't say. If I see any that do, I'll let you know okay?

You need lettuce and such? I know here, at the *Dollar Store* you can get stuff like that 10 for a dollar.

If the landlord said anything I'd say "What? Like I know where THAT came from?"

Move out here to the country, woman. i'll share my tomatoes with ya.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

This time of year I am going crazy with all the catalogues and ready to start landscape jobs! We've done a couple already and I want to be outside so bad, but just as soon as we get started doing something, the weather changes.

Friday night we had a weather front come through here, the temp dropped 20 degrees in 10 minutes and it hailed 3 inches!!!

But I am busy with designs and telling people to wait!! Wait!! Wait!!! Anything they plant should be protected...it will freeze!

Brain, we should get a plant/landscape thread going! I am sooo ready!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Whenever you're ready, I'm there!

Hey, my BFF just bought a new house. Her dh will have to landscape this spring - his first time. I may be asking for your expert advice.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
Years ago I was surfing around and found a company in Madison, Ohio called Bluestone Perennials. My mother grew up in Madison, and I got it in my mind that I wanted perennials that grew in the same dirt my mother lived on. What can I say? Anyway, I ordered some stuff and loved it, so I ordered from them a few times, and probably will again someday.

And while my mother was alive, she was touched and thrilled to see flowers blooming that started in her hometown!

Aw, that was really sweet and thoughful of you, Blessings. It really touched me.

I don't too far from Madison but I have never heard of Bluestone Perennials. I am going to look them up.

A few weeks ago, I placed my annual order from Burpee and Harris seeds. I will start my pepper and tomato plants next weekend. My blackberry and raspberry bushes are on back order.
Carolina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I'll Plant basil or rosemary!!!

Hi. Move out to the country?? That's all I would need. My friend lives out in the woods in New Jersy, and she has raccoons and animals coming up to her back porch. THAT IS NOT FOR ME. I'm a city girl. I do not like bugs. I don't think I can grow lettuce in two flower pots, but something like basil or rosemary. We have those type of little plants (available in May), I think I'll plant them. I use basil all the time in my salads, and I use rosemary on my chicken. The only problem is during the night, people come and cut thinks off of your garden.

Now picture this. I live in an italian neighborhood. Everybody has a backyard. The people who own the homes use their backyard to grow grapes off of vines. and one guy has this TREMENDOUS backyard with trees that bear fruit, vines that grow strawberries, blackberries (you have NEVER TASTED ANYTHING SO DELICIOUS), well, he grows everything. So once a year I take a walk around the corner, and when I run into him, I say: "what'd you grow this year? and he goes, oh oh , come and look. and I leave with zucchinis, peppers, blackberries (enough food for the week). My landlord then taps on my back window and gives me bunches of grapes and these green 6 feet long zucchini things that are growing from the ceiling of these viines.

See, I get the goodies, and I didn't do a thing.

I can just imagine me planting and weeding, and pushing away bugs. I think I would die. I'm such a wuss lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi. Move out to the country?? That's all I would need. My friend lives out in the woods in New Jersy, and she has raccoons and animals coming up to her back porch. THAT IS NOT FOR ME. I'm a city girl. I do not like bugs. I don't think I can grow lettuce in two flower pots, but something like basil or rosemary. We have those type of little plants (available in May), I think I'll plant them. I use basil all the time in my salads, and I use rosemary on my chicken. The only problem is during the night, people come and cut thinks off of your garden.

Now picture this. I live in an italian neighborhood. Everybody has a backyard. The people who own the homes use their backyard to grow grapes off of vines. and one guy has this TREMENDOUS backyard with trees that bear fruit, vines that grow strawberries, blackberries (you have NEVER TASTED ANYTHING SO DELICIOUS), well, he grows everything. So once a year I take a walk around the corner, and when I run into him, I say: "what'd you grow this year? and he goes, oh oh , come and look. and I leave with zucchinis, peppers, blackberries (enough food for the week). My landlord then taps on my back window and gives me bunches of grapes and these green 6 feet long zucchini things that are growing from the ceiling of these viines.

See, I get the goodies, and I didn't do a thing.

I can just imagine me planting and weeding, and pushing away bugs. I think I would die. I'm such a wuss lol
I'll post pix of my garden this year.

Wait till ya see the tomatoes. I had to cut them back 3 times last year. They were as tall as the privacy fence and kept knocking the support stakes down.

I don't have a full veggie garden, but I put in what I'll use. I do several kinds of peppers, all kinds of hebs, lettuce, stuff like that. Plus 100's of flowers.

Stuff in the ground, in pots, climbing all over. It's crazy.

I came from NJ, BTW. Hate Ohio, but love nature. If you hafta be here, may as well find some reason to enjoy yourself, huh?

And you know, I really don't have too many bugs. I get butterflies ( and I love those) and bees and I need those. Some dragonflies, and those are cool. The birds are really something though - I plant specific flowers to attract hummoingbirds.

There's enough woods around where the wildlife doesn't come right up in our yards around here. Some squirrels and rabbits. and we had a snake - yuck. And we have weasels, but you'd never see them unless you were really trying - I've only seen one two times. And they eat the mice, keep the snakes away, so that's all good.

We have bald eagles fly right over the yard and that is really amazing. If I ever get a pic of that you will see it. That is one of my fave things about living here. They nest right down the street.

Speaking of birds, gotta go feed mine!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I have a very funny story about bugs. That will come after my first story.

When I was 24, my parents upped and moved to Florida. I was told the following: "if you want to come, come"

I didn't go. I had a job and a boyfriend so I got my own apartment.

Well, I will never, in all my life, forget the first time I arrived at Tampa Airport in sunny Florida.

My parents pick me up, And it's hot. HOT!!!

We get in the car and it starts to rain. But it's not raining on the other side of the street. I look at my father and said: "how the heck can it be raining on one side of the street and not the other side?? He said "if you think that's amazing, you haven't seen anything yet".

We land in the driveway of their home, and I'm going oooh, and aaah, it's a nice Florida house.

As I get out of the car, THIS FLYING THING LANDS ON MY HAND. It looked like a giant waterbug (you know me and waterbugs, right??).

I start screaming and my father burst out laughing and says: 'oh, these are palmettos, they are flying waterbugs". FLYING WATERBUGS???? JEEEEZ.

So I run into the house, and get all settled in. They then say "let's take the other car and go for a drive, we'll show you around Florida.

I get in the car and notice these screens on the front of the windshield I ask my father and he says: 'Oh, these are for the love bugs'. I said 'What??"

And he says "you'll see". and BAM. A thousand bugs hit the windshield (they are called love bugs because they are always mating, and they come two times a year in Florida), wasn't I lucky??

I'm screaming, and he's laughing, and we go through the swarm, and he's showing me Palm Trees, and all I want to do is get out of the car and go take a shower.

We get home, and I get out of the car and there's a gazillion of these love bugs all over the car and windshield. He had to get the hose and wash off the car.

So he goes into the back of the house where he was laying down a patio. All kind of square tiles.

So I lay down in a beach chair, trying to relax in the Florida sun, when this THING hops over me.

I raise my eyes, and (try and imagine this). My father is picking up squares of concrete and there are these lizards jumping out of the ground (hundreds and hundreds of little green lizard things), and my father is picking them up with his right hand and he's saying out loud "oh, get out of here", (to the lizards).

I look at my father like he has lost his mind. I said 'are you serious, you are talking to lizards, you HAVE LIZARDS, in the ground???

He said "oh these little things, they are nothing. And they decide to jump on me. Well, I run screaming into the Florida Room (they call the tv rooms in Florida,..Florida Rooms). One of the lizards follows me and my mother starts chasing him around with her broom.

I'm watching this whole scene unfold and all I could think was 7 DAYS UNTIL I FLY BACK HOME.

Oh, I went back over the years, every few months. I got used to the bugs, and whatever else was flying around. I loved the heat. I remember News Years Day, waking up, and it was 89 degrees and we slept at a friend's house and she had a boat and a dock and she had grapefruit trees in her back yard.

I remember thinking. "Oh my god, grapefruit trees, I'm sitting in the sun and it's New Years Day", and it's 89 degrees.

I remember this like it was yesterday and it was almost 40 years ago.

memories!!!!!!!!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (03-18-2008)