Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post Position and pain

Hope this makes sense as my brain is scrambled at the moment. Am tired in pain and really fed up.

When I sit upright and rest arms out in front on a table my arms become more painful, colder(like ice blocks) and the colour changes are quite spectacular. I need to try and rest them in front on cushions (bead filled) but even so they feel so heavy and painful all the time.

I presume this is pressure related, though I do not lean on them , that is not good at all). Just do not know what position if any will help. It is like the more upright the more "traction"related pain I get. My neck does not feel like it wants to support my head and I never seem to look like my head is held in vertical alignment, Tried a collar once but that made matters worse, particularly as have those pressure/fulness sensations around my throat. I would love to lie flat as am sure that would help but cannot due to breathing issues.

Any advice. I know this is something we have had big posts on before about getting comy, but wondered what else have anyone tried?

Love Hx
Horizontal One is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tshadow (04-25-2008)

advertisement
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I have some discomfort with arms out too, like playing cards or board games, reading books...I can manage it for 1-2 hrs and if i move around every so often.

I use a pillow on my lap to rest the books on
play card games on the computer LOL
only play quick board games and change positions a lot

for me it is the blood getting stopped when my arms are at 90+ degree and also the additional leverage? of hold arms up/out and the change of pressure on the neck/shoulder/back
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was told when I had those type of symptoms that it was a "vasospasm" due to the nerve irritation. Arranging your position so there is less pull on the nerves (i.e. support your arms, good positioning), frequent changes of position, hot water immersions, very gradually working on stretching out the area and very gradually increasing your aoerobic exercise as much as you can without flaring all seem to help.

if you have trouble holding up your head, exercises to strengthen the longus colli muscles will help, This muscle is often very weak in TOS patients. Gradually trying to increase the time you can be up will help as well.
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tshadow (04-25-2008)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

A recliner is good for in between sitting or laying - takes much of the pressure off.

a variety of pillows near favorite chair might work too- so you can find the best mix for comfort

for sleeping/bed rest-
those medical product sites {and some stores} have those foam wedges you can use to place under head or legs for best comfort positioning.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Horizontal One (03-24-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My out of bed position of choice is sitting in a wingback chair. The tall back support helps my head and neck. It also help support an ice bag or hot pack. The arms support my arms.

I play online poker.....to pass the time, stimulate my foggy brain, and to make a few bucks (unfortunately, not too many due to aforementioned foggy brain ) I have my laptop on a pull up table and all I have to move is my index finger.

Just typing here occassionally really does a number on me because both arms are "up" briefly. I can feel the tug on my collarbone and neck now.
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I prefer my recliner . I can get comfy there without too much thrashing around. Also, I keep a pillow under my left arm for support when i'm sitting there, and also while driving also. I'll be driving alot more for the next month or so - 200mi each way to Nashville, up and back at least once a week.

Currently redefining 8,9,10 ......

dabbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up my sitting-resting position

Hx, my Feldenkrais therapist gave me a GREAT sitting position:

Sit in chair, being sure both feet are either planted firmly on the ground (or I find proping them up on a stool or chair to pull less on the BP), and your 'butt bones' planted firmly and equally on the seat. With good posture and shoulders down, place your hands PALMS UP on your thighs as close to your hips/stomach as possible. Make sure your elbows have free room to stick out wherever they happen to be. (a chair with arms may hamper this)

The 'palms up' is critical. notice how it cocks your shoulders back just a fraction? This places your shoulder capsule directly over the shoulder blades creating balance for the spine. It makes the spine a more stable platform for your head.

Head position is also very important. You might use a mirror to see your profile view when sitting and how your head is positioned. I find my default head position is looking UP a bit - which is very bad for me. I have to always re-right myself.

I have days where just putting my arm out on the table to work the mouse will bring on a strong wave of nausea. Arms out (read: away from your body) is never a good idea for us.

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-05-2008), ThreeForOne (04-04-2008), thursday (04-04-2008)
Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I love what astern said and I will be trying it all day for sure

I came across a position by accident when I was walking home from school>
I have to wear a backpack- there is no way around it since my TOS symptoms are nicer to me than my tendonitis in my hands and forearms AND I live in hilly San Francisco, a rolling backpack is out. So the other day was a particularly bad arm day and I turned my backpack around so I was wearing it on my front and tucked my arms across my belly so that the straps were supporting my arms. Which got me to thinking- - some sort of a sling would be good for times at home in front of the TV... the question is where to you sling it from?

Sorry- that was a ramble! Something to think about though :P

thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you Thursday! I think my Feldenkrais Therapist would tell you to carry the backpack hugging it close to the body and riding a hip. Like a child. She told me that when I asked about the small bag I carry with my swimsuit/towel. Having it at my side pulling down on my arm is not kind to the BP. Carrying it as I described above has made a huge difference for me!

I think slinging the backpack from some body part might hurt after a short while.

Peace,
Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (04-06-2008)
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Astern I will try your suggested position out. I think I do sit with my palms face up generally anyway but I will think about my position more. If I use keyboard I have to have itpositioned at edge of desk so that I do not lean ot put pressure on anypart of my hands or arms. Possibly not the greatest thing to do but case of needs must.

Hx
Horizontal One is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote