Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart I'm new too-M.D.'s recommed Thoracic Outlet Rib Removal

Hi-well 2.5 years in the making to get to this point and now I don't know what to do. Former hairstylist/make-up artist I injured my left shoulder and thus began a journey (nightmare) into workers comp. We have done it all -3 types of pt, cortizone injections, subacromial decompression surgery, pain management, accupuncture, chiropractic treatments, current nerve blocks and now another referral to UCLA for rib removal surgery.

Has anyone had this surgery and did it work for you or not? I am not in any hurry to have it done, the only thing that would lead me to that direction is hope that the pain level which is daily 7-10 may decrease. What do you guys think?
googndoog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (09-26-2008)

advertisement
Old 03-31-2008, 12:50 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

well I wouldn't rush into any surgery, it can go either way- good or not so good. esp if excessive scar tissue is formed by your body.
Especially if nothing bony or abnormal showed up as to causing compressions.

I had all kinds of symptoms, multiple RSIs, shoulder/neck strains, hypermobility, some minor c spine stuff.

my time frame till improvement was about 2+ yrs and that was with not working and trying 4 PT places & going to chiro long term.

have you read about triggerpoints?
whole body posture work?

things that really seem to help me stay comfortable are-
far infrared heating pad, IF stim or EMS stim, low level laser, and the chiro to keep me lined up LOL {he has the LLLT & IF stim}

skim thru our useful sticky thread all kind of good info posts there-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread84.html
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (09-26-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

UCLA is a great place to be refferred if you do need surgery. I have had it on both sides and would say that surgery itself was a breeze compared with living with the TOS pain. I am definitely in better shape than I was pre surgery, but I am not exactly what one would call "well". Happy to talk about surgery and any other LA type questions, feel free to PM me.

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (09-26-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TOS Surgery UCLA

Hi Johanna,

I truly appreciate your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannakat View Post
UCLA is a great place to be refferred if you do need surgery. I have had it on both sides and would say that surgery itself was a breeze compared with living with the TOS pain. I am definitely in better shape than I was pre surgery, but I am not exactly what one would call "well". Happy to talk about surgery and any other LA type questions, feel free to PM me.

Johanna
googndoog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (09-26-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Don't GET THE SURGEY! Try the Edgelow Protocol

Hello friends with TOS or think you have it,
I've been diagnosed with this for 17 years now. If it wasn't for a car accident, I would not have had the TOS surgery. While I'm grateful to have done it, I would NEVER recommend this to anyone unless their life is at risk or they simply cannot go through life at a seemingly normal level of existance. Get a new job if you can't cut hair anymore but don't go through this unless - sorry for repeating myself - it's a matter of life or death. I know other post-surgery folks and they are still suffering. I still have tingling in the hand and can't do things as I used to but I can live! There's always a choice. And my choice after the car accident was to live on a couch with migraines daily, not be able to work or eat - pretty much live as a disabled person OR have the surgery and live with some discomfort. And, I'm one of those "poster childs" of the surgery and still have challenges physically. I could start jogging again in a matter of six months. I stopped taking meds after about a year. I was doing much more than many who have had the surgery.

I have a pretty high pain threshold and gotta say, this was the hardest most painful process I've ever gone through and hope to ever experience. I would not want anyone to take this lightly. There is an excellent therapy developed by Peter Edgelow called the Edgelow Protocol. Thankfully, I found a physical therapist in Marin who was trained in this technique. Within one week I was able to lift my arm up again. You can order a DVD and supplies. No gimmicks - just a solid solution.

Good luck to all of you.

To your health....
postthoracicpatient is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my surgery story

Hi Googndoog,

I had rib resection and scalenectomy in 2005. I would not have been able to live as I am had I not. All stories are SO different that you can only do what is best for you.

I was/am a registered nurse in oncology I haven't worked in over 6 years. I lifted a patient up from a toilet and wrecked my neck back and shoulder. After the huge run around I finally realized I had to find the doctors and do all the work....very difficult when in extreme pain. I get it I so get it.

I found a tos vascular surgeon as I have both neuro and vascular. He was about the only guy in the province Ontario Canada who does the surgery. I had mine done due to my very poor quality of life. I was in so much pain and could not do much at all. Hence the surgery decision. I couldn't work anyway so no loss.

I was fortunate. I had an amazing surgeon who did a fantastic job and before I got to physio post op I was off all my meds and feeling AMAZING.
UNTIL PHYSIO......they wrecked all the surgery by having me do all the wrong exercises and my tos came back with a vengence. NOT a nice thing after having 6mths of pain free life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not change what I did for a second. I know I made the right decision. I would do it again so I know it was the right decision!

But this decision is not an easy one and you really need to get a pro and con list going here so that you can make the right decision for yourself.
We are all so anatomically different in our TOS and we all have different symptoms of the same syndrome. Hence the name syndrome a name to catch all of the symptoms into one tidy little box that medicine likes to do.

My pain now is at 7-9 or 10 on a migraine day........but still would not change my decision for anything!!! I know I did the right thing!!

Difficult to decide.....go with your gut you know how you are suffereing and what it is doing to you.

hope some of this mess I have written helps you!

love and hugs,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome to Googndoog!

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Newbie....I can't type much these days (flaresville) but wanted to say welcome !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My physical therapist and surgeon both agree the only way I will be closer to 100% is to have my 1st rib and scalene muscles removed. I work for a physical therapy practice and they pretty much told me that unless I absolutely need it (life or death) do not get the surgery. It is not 100% successful and the recovery time is long......I was told as long as 46 months to be back to "normal". I have a 2 year old which made my decision a lot easier. Good luck to you!!
rmurphy7978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote