Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 04:24 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Neck weakness

I have a new problem and not sure if its related to TOS and/or RSI....

My neck feels SUPER weak. Alarmingly. Its at the top of the neck, where it meets my skull. Feels like its both strained and tired. Almost like the days (I believe it was 3 days total) when I was eleven and wanted to be heavy metal and I would headbang . Except the aftermath of headbanging had neck pain. This is just tension. And almost nothing I do feels good, including laying down- unless I'm doing traction.

Does this sound like anything you've experienced? This sensation is new to me. My problems have always been from around the clavicle- down. Trying to determine if I should go see my RSI doctor.... (things are complicated as I am P&S and my WC is challenging that I am permanently disabled. Currently waiting to see if I get to even continue seeing him at their expense- etc, etc.)
I hope this gets better cos its worse than pain.
p.s. fun fact- this weakness showed up suspiciously right after my Functional Capacity Eval

thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 09:30 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Thursday

I have always had issues with my neck and it has been much worse since my surgery. Prior to my surgery I was diagnosed with "cervical strain" and my MRIs showed bulging discs and osteophytes from C4 - C6 area. I went to many different doctors asking if this was causing my problems but every doctor said it was nothing to really worry about. Every doctor still agreed with the TOS diagnosis. They were right on that because it was found to be severe at time of surgery. Ever since the surgery though I feel like my head is too heavy for my body and I can't hold it up. I am now having trouble looking down or pretty much any direction and a whole new set of problems. The doctor did some tests that show some major problems going on. I am showing signs of compression that they don't know if it's coming from the spine more TOS. I was told that posture has a lot to do with this and bad posture causes cervical strain and can also help in causing TOS. For me it seems like the spine and the BP are working together causing me a ton of problems. My headaches are killing me! I really know how you are feeling with this one and I wish I could help you but I'm looking for help myself. I am going to the PT today because he wants to see if he could help me get more comfortable. The trick seems to be... pillows, pillows, and more pillows. You need lots of support and don't strain your neck. I have 3 MRIs to go through which they now told me it will take over 4 hours. this is going to cost a fortune! They want to look at everything and use contrast and it will now take two evenings to do this. This is just an an awful thing to deal with! Take it easy...Momz

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

symptoms increase --after the FCE -- make sure your pain and symptoms get documented and hopefully observed by a PT or MD while it is still happening.
The infamous Delayed pain of TOS!

What you describe sounds like spasms- does your neck feel kind of "locked up"
like to turn your head it very difficult or possibly can't even do it?

A good Dr or PT should be able to feel/recognize spasms, and recommend the best treatment.

What my chiro did was a mix of trigger point and tissue release on my scalenes and SCM, it took a couple of weeks 2x a week to get rid of the most discomfort.
But I didn't know what it was at first and just suffered with it until I happened to meet the chiro at a booth at county fair one of my lucky days
He also did some release on my pec major below the clavicle, used the IF stim on my whole back.

But what happened to me was the SCM & scalenes spasmed so much that they pulled my top rib up and it got stuck like that and until 1 adv PT guy did a rib mobilization and my top ribs dropped a half inch back down to normal
gosh that was instant relief from many lingering sx.
That was my big turnaround
now chiro checks my top ribs every session.

but my main point is that these spasms can be treated by smart and caring PT/DC/ DO or even a good massage therapist.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
symptoms increase --after the FCE -- make sure your pain and symptoms get documented and hopefully observed by a PT or MD while it is still happening.
The infamous Delayed pain of TOS!

What you describe sounds like spasms- does your neck feel kind of "locked up"
like to turn your head it very difficult or possibly can't even do it?

A good Dr or PT should be able to feel/recognize spasms, and recommend the best treatment.

What my chiro did was a mix of trigger point and tissue release on my scalenes and SCM, it took a couple of weeks 2x a week to get rid of the most discomfort.
But I didn't know what it was at first and just suffered with it until I happened to meet the chiro at a booth at county fair one of my lucky days
He also did some release on my pec major below the clavicle, used the IF stim on my whole back.

But what happened to me was the SCM & scalenes spasmed so much that they pulled my top rib up and it got stuck like that and until 1 adv PT guy did a rib mobilization and my top ribs dropped a half inch back down to normal
gosh that was instant relief from many lingering sx.
That was my big turnaround
now chiro checks my top ribs every session.

but my main point is that these spasms can be treated by smart and caring PT/DC/ DO or even a good massage therapist.
Thanks Jo! I want to go to the same fair you went to!!!! I haven't had any of the work done that you described except rib mobilization but it all sounds AWESOME and I'm sure I could benefit from all of them. Now if I could just convince the controllers of my medical care.......
The feeling I have is not so much a locked up feeling as it is a total weakness. Like heaviness of my head is too much and I have to prop it up or lay down. Then even still I am extremely uncomfortable & feel like I need to roll a towel up to place under my neck. Do you think this is a spasm too? Its an even feeling once it comes on. hmmmm

Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 AM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I read your blog description of the FCE and no wonder you are hurting now.
{ I hope you don't use your real name there or names of dr s or case managers or any claim details - they check/do searches for that stuff sometimes}

one PT had me do the milk crate lifts - they really bothered me the most.
I can't write a page ,or I can but it becomes scribbles fast LOL.

yours could be more mild spasms than i had that time or just a different version of them. After the chiro got rid of my locked up feeling - i did have a lingering tightness , worse with use and weak feelings in my neck that lasted until the ribs got dropped down.

I got my nasty spasms from shoveling sand and rocks into 5 gal buckets, to make cement for our shop floor.
What got me the worst though was the screeding- after the cement is poured to level it you have to slide a board back and forth over and over across the top. And while doing it you have to use a push /pull sawing motion.
After 2 of 5 sections- I knew I was in trouble but hubby only had a week off and we wanted to get the floor done.
5 days straight for that project
If I only knew - back then I was just beginning to learn about TOS.. at the time I just thought I had another RSI with neck and shoulder strains.

I was off work at the time with a denied claim, and we were appealing - so I really shouldn't have been doing that stuff, but i had been off work for 2 months and was feeling pretty good and figured it would be a good test to see how healed I was - not!
Plus I couldn't really report it to my Dr or wc, so i went out on my own to find help and that's when I found the really good PT and my chiro.
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (04-04-2008)
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jo- I think you are the first to go to my blog- thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't worry, I haven't used my real name and I won't name any pertinant claim details. I don't want to rock the boat. I just wanna help others

I wanted to report back that I went to a free chiro in my neighborhood. (Well first visit's free and he works with you on a sliding scale for other visits.) And I feel much better after my adjustment and little massage afterwards. Its like I had WD-40 applied to my spine. YAY!!!
I hope this feeling lasts until I can figure out how to go back. I took notes on the things Jo had done so that if I can continue seeing this chiro, I can ask for stuff by name!

Last edited by thursday; 04-04-2008 at 09:06 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-05-2008)
Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thursday- one thing that really helped the weakness for me was the addition of an anti-depressant. The first week on effexor i was amazed at how many kinks disappeared from my back. Now if only i could get the rest of them to go away somehow.... whatever it does to relax the nerves just really works for me.

Effexor at a high dose caused a lot of weight gain, so i switched to wellbutrin after a couple months. It isn't quite as good for the pain but it is a lot better re: weight.

it almost acts like a muscle relaxant for me, i don't really know how to describe it, i just felt better...kind of all at once, and my arms started working better.

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (04-12-2008)
Old 04-12-2008, 02:56 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannakat View Post
thursday- one thing that really helped the weakness for me was the addition of an anti-depressant. The first week on effexor i was amazed at how many kinks disappeared from my back. Now if only i could get the rest of them to go away somehow.... whatever it does to relax the nerves just really works for me.

Effexor at a high dose caused a lot of weight gain, so i switched to wellbutrin after a couple months. It isn't quite as good for the pain but it is a lot better re: weight.

it almost acts like a muscle relaxant for me, i don't really know how to describe it, i just felt better...kind of all at once, and my arms started working better.

Johanna
I had a hunch the same day you wrote this post Joanna and had put myself back on Elavil. Imagine my surprise when I saw you wrote this about the same time!! I don't remember why I didn't like it before but I seem to now.... I don't get dopey from the 12mg dose, it seems to relax me physically some AND I am able to wake up bright eyed-and bushy tailed in the morning. How bout that!
In addition to that, I have been doing some exercises for it from the Sharon Butler book Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & other Repetitive Strain Injuries - paying close attention to the stretch point feeling. And I feel like I am headed towards a stronger neck.
Thanks guys!!!

"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (04-12-2008)