Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Really bad news on April Fool's - wishing it was a joke

Hi everyone,

I had a long meeting with my Physical therapist today. We sat down with my husband there and talked. He had a long talk with my Doctor before hand. Things are not good. I have a HUGE problem. I have all the signs that something is pressing on my spinal cord. Most likely a herniated disc in the cervical spine pressing on the cord. My symptoms are getting much worse. I have extreme pain in my thumbs which is a sign. Also here is the biggy. I have been having problems going to the bathroom (urinating) its been going on 4 a few weeks now. I have a full bladder but can't go to the bathroom. I have to push and push to go and sometimes still can't go. I get up in the morning and have to go real bad but can't! It scares the heck out of me! I mentioned it to the Doc 2 weeks ago because my Husband and I weren't sure what was going on. My first thought was the spine but maybe a side effect from the meds???? It's really worrying me now. I was told if I can't go to the bathroom my noon...I need to get myself to the ER. Also, my headaches are unbearable. The other thing is....my reflexes on the lower extremeties ...especially left side. OH MY! The PT said I have basically no response on the upper extremities and too much on the lower. I almost jumped off the chair when he checked my knee and foot. I am getting lots of tingling in my foot and it just doesn't look good.

He is very worried for me and was honest. This isn't looking good. If the MRi doesn't show anything significant in the C - spine then he wants them to look further into the brain. He said its no doubt I have TOS and needed the surgery but something else is going on too. He also said it could be sympathetic nerve reaction. Does anyone know anything about this? Guess the nerves can just be really messed up but he doesn't think so.

I'm honestly scared to death on this one. I can't go anywhere..no riding in a car or moving my head at this point. I'm on total restrictions.

Wish me luck with this. Thanks for all your concerns...I really need you guys at this point and time. I am freaking out!

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momzpeachy View Post
Hi everyone,

I had a long meeting with my Physical therapist today. We sat down with my husband there and talked. He had a long talk with my Doctor before hand. Things are not good. I have a HUGE problem. I have all the signs that something is pressing on my spinal cord. Most likely a herniated disc in the cervical spine pressing on the cord. My symptoms are getting much worse. I have extreme pain in my thumbs which is a sign. Also here is the biggy. I have been having problems going to the bathroom (urinating) its been going on 4 a few weeks now. I have a full bladder but can't go to the bathroom. I have to push and push to go and sometimes still can't go. I get up in the morning and have to go real bad but can't! It scares the heck out of me! I mentioned it to the Doc 2 weeks ago because my Husband and I weren't sure what was going on. My first thought was the spine but maybe a side effect from the meds???? It's really worrying me now. I was told if I can't go to the bathroom my noon...I need to get myself to the ER. Also, my headaches are unbearable. The other thing is....my reflexes on the lower extremeties ...especially left side. OH MY! The PT said I have basically no response on the upper extremities and too much on the lower. I almost jumped off the chair when he checked my knee and foot. I am getting lots of tingling in my foot and it just doesn't look good.

He is very worried for me and was honest. This isn't looking good. If the MRi doesn't show anything significant in the C - spine then he wants them to look further into the brain. He said its no doubt I have TOS and needed the surgery but something else is going on too. He also said it could be sympathetic nerve reaction. Does anyone know anything about this? Guess the nerves can just be really messed up but he doesn't think so.

I'm honestly scared to death on this one. I can't go anywhere..no riding in a car or moving my head at this point. I'm on total restrictions.

Wish me luck with this. Thanks for all your concerns...I really need you guys at this point and time. I am freaking out!
Momz
I am really sorry that on top of everything these issues are flared.
I did want to tell you that certain medications DID affect my daughters ability to pee. Particulary the SSRI's like paxil prozac etc. They use these for nerve pain signal help...Neurontin also did it to her too.
The brain does not detect the signals that the bladder has to pee....to release the flow. She did as you, strain, had water running, everything. Finally she had to got o the ER and have the bladder drained as they documented a huge weight gain and she started having fluid back up.

The reflexes, if I ever went to an exam and had them right, I woudl think somethig is wrong, they have been non exsisitant or hyper for so many years now.

Did you happen to start a new med that is messing with brain receiving signals? I hope you can reslove soe of the issues.
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'll keep you in my thoughts Momz. I hope you have lots of support from friends and family in your time of turmoil and limitations. You do here!!!

thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes!

I have to agree with Di. I have had urinating problems due to medications also.

I sure hope you get some relief soon. Please keep us imformed.

Peggy

Peg24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Me too! I have a lot of problem urinating because of my meds.
trixlynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:08 AM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Tam went thru a bad time with it also.
I believe hers was from meds too, or partially so.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Momz,

Although that does not sound good, at least they are being proactive about figuring out just what the problem is. Hang in there and I will be thinking about you and hoping that they find a solution to your pain.
mtnmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Momz, I haven't had problems with urinating while having TOS but it should be something to be aware of and do not overlook this.

After the birth of my second baby I had to have a catheter while in the hospital. When I went home, I could not urinate. I was told that after 6 hours without going I would have to go back to the hospital. The only way I could go was in the shower. I know it sounds gross but the doc said it would help by standing up. Needless to say I took quite a few showers over the next few days! Good luck! Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Di...I'm so sorry for not getting back to you before but things have just been nuts. Everytime I want to send an email I'm either too tired or too much pain. I appreciate all your concerns and I too thought this was due to the meds but the Doc's don't think so.

I started having problems before I was put on the meds. It started right at the time of my surgery and has gotten much worse since. I really would like it to be a med issue but I have my doubts. My symptoms are much more than the peeing problem. I have terrible pain in my thumbs and into the index finger, pain in my neck (both sides), Lhermitte sign, tingling and coldness in left foot, hyper reflexes lower extremeties and significant difference between left and right side (left side more), can't move my head forward without pain and shooting nerve signals down my arms and legs, doctor pressed down on my head and I almost passed out, eyes aren't working together, right eye is loosing vision and hurts at times, pupil difference between eyes, abnormal gait (can't walk straight), dropping everything (can't grip). I seem to have an awful lot going on here. I had 2 previous MRI's and both showed signs of problems. The second one was worse in the C5-C6 area. Buldging discs and degenerative signs. narrowing of the spinal canal and straightening. spondylosis. Also showing same in lower lumbar spine as well. The PT thinks something was missed along the way. Hopefully they can find it so I can get on with my life. This is too much to handle! I cried and cried yesterday and the PT even feels bad. I thought I was on the road to getting better by having the TOS surgery. I go from one problem to another. UGH!

We shall see...the only other thing it can be is sympathetic nerve reactions. I would take that over spinal surgery any day!

I will be staying in touch since I am totally homebound! I have my MRI tomorrow night. Yippeee.

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Momz,

I too have C5/6 disc bulge with C7 nerve entrapment. I have narrowing of the spinal canal (40%) and spondylosis. I have headache everyday and a severe rush to the head (similar to ice cream headache but much more severe) everytime I cough, sneeze, open bowels, swim, etc any pressure at all. I have to stop and hold my head. The pain only lasts seconds although is extremely intense. If the pain was to stay I would have to go straight to emergency. I also have pain in my face daily, similar to sinus pain. I also have disc bulge in my lower back that causes nerve pain in my leg.

Its no fun having a neck condition on top of TOS. The Dr's are very confused, they dont know what's causing which symptom. I have neck pain everyday that feels like I have knots in my neck.

Good luck with all of your tests and let us know how you get on.

Ozzy
ozzy14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote