Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default how to deal witha sitting issue

Just got a Epidual shot, L4 , buldging Disc, but walking is ok ,standing is ok , but I cannot sit more than 10 minutes---going into my five months, its getting old--- off all pills ,to many side effects---
does any other members have this issue, and how do you deal?
Oh ,I am doing the PT , they are trying everything---

Thank you
rickso12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-29-2008, 06:38 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ricks,

WHEN did you get the shot? And as for PT, WHAT are they really trying. There are reasons I ask. Can you be a bit more descriptive about the "sit pain"? To answer you and I am a female, I had to go to pelvic floor PT. But just know this...men get this too. I don't want to get too graphic but until I had the right injections and this specialized PT, I couldn't sit either. I am not saying you have any pelvic dysfunction since I don't really know. But the lumbar/sacral stuff enters into it and really causes some MAJOR sit pain! It did for me anyway. If nothing else, ask your PT about it. He or she could probably explain it a lot better than I could. And it might just be a Piriformis deal too.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
Ricks,

WHEN did you get the shot? And as for PT, WHAT are they really trying. There are reasons I ask. Can you be a bit more descriptive about the "sit pain"? To answer you and I am a female, I had to go to pelvic floor PT. But just know this...men get this too. I don't want to get too graphic but until I had the right injections and this specialized PT, I couldn't sit either. I am not saying you have any pelvic dysfunction since I don't really know. But the lumbar/sacral stuff enters into it and really causes some MAJOR sit pain! It did for me anyway. If nothing else, ask your PT about it. He or she could probably explain it a lot better than I could. And it might just be a Piriformis deal too.
Yes the pain goes to both sides of my theigh, not so much the lower back,
walking and standing has really improved, but I really am at odds with driving and any prolonged sitting, maybe its all about time, the Dr told me the nerve has space ,not compressed
Thank you for your time
rickso12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:16 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ricks,
I have the same problem with sitting and especially driving. I'm told it's the SI joint and am currently in PT to strengthen the muscles. I'm sorry I can't help with the sitting issue as I haven't figured it out yet. My PT did tell me to keep my stomach muscles pulled it and try to keep my lower back straight (not rounded like when you slump down). This is my third time with this pain and it's been 3 months onging now. It's awful. I really feel for you. Hope you get relief soon.
Linmarie
Linmarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:33 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was reading on amazon about a book that talks about a therapy for this called McKenzie.
It is much like what the above poster mentioned.
Also, some say that they benefit from getting special chairs...the kind you lean on.
Are you taking an anti-inflammatory? I'm sure this would help a tiny bit when starting any exercise program.
My understanding is that it requires diligence and that it is often a long road...but many people feel better with regular physical therapy and followup exercises.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote