Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Opinions, suggestions please?

Hi
A bit of background on me, 2 years ago, C3,4,5,6 fused with instrumentation. Fusion is fine, but a botched lami 2 years prior left me with permanent damage to right arm. The fusions are stable, but has led to scoliosis, kyphosis, and radicuopathy in upper back, scapular area. Currently doing Botox injections for that. TENS prn.

Lower back. L2,3,4 bulging, L5-S1 herniated. Burning both legs to knees. Extreme pain lower right side. Ortho said I am not ready for surgery, and after the cervical, not sure I want to! Don't want to do the epi's, needle phobia, and diabetic, don't want the steroid. PM wants to do RFA. My limited research says it hurts, and doesn't last long, like 6 months and then do it again. TENS pretty much useless here. I'm thinking about spinal cord stimulator. That sounds much better, I think.

So, what do the "backie experts "here think of RFA, and SCS?

I'm on Cymbalta for pain, Vicoden prn. Can't do a lot of heavier drugs due to job, random drug tests! Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Barb
aussiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

aussiemom,

I am not a lumbar expert but do have problems with L4, L5 and S1. Before I would go with an SCS I would try the RFA. I have had one and it was great...lasted a over a full year! And, honestly, they sedate you even though it is conscious sedation. This may sound crazy but I was talking; answering my PM's questions but I do NOT recall what I said or even if it hurt. Before I had it done he kept telling me to trust him and that I wouldn't remember it. And he was right! It sounds weird but it is true. I did ask him later at another appointment if I had answered him and he said yes. Anyway, before he did this I was terrified; couldn't wrap my mind around an ablation without feeling it. And to be honest it was 100% easier than any injection. So, I wouldn't fear it at all! The nice thing is they CAN repeat it. I see my PM this coming Tuesday and will be talking to him about another RF. I would kill for one right now. Oh, and I believe he told me and I am trying hard to remember that he used Versed and Fentanyl and also, and I think afterwards, put some Toradol in the IV to help with any inflammation. It worked like a charm and no, I didn't have days and days of pain. Just two days of soreness and then relief!

The SCS I am unsure of other than what other have people have said. To me, it is so much more invasive and alot of times people have to have them removed. So, all in all, I would try the RF first or at least talk to the doc more in depth. I think you will find that the SCS is pretty invasive. Then again, some people have had good luck. I am just saying...try the lesser more conservative approach first.

I know Bobbi sometimes posts here and she has had a lumbar RF as well. Perhaps she will give her input too. I don't want to speak for her but I believe she had success with hers as well.

Last edited by Kathi49; 07-11-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Correction
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote