Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Update on one of the new guys. I need your advice please!!!!!

OK so maybe someof you can help me interpret my latest MRI.
C2-C3 no problems
C3-C4 no big deal (I can interpret that part)
C4-C5 no problems
C5-C6 there is a right paracentral disc excuerrsion. This is seen mildly effacing the cervical cord at this level. There is moderate to severe spinal cord stenosis at ths level. There are hypertrophic degenerative changes involving the uncovertebral joints on the left. This creates a mild left-sided neural foraminal stenosis.
C6-C7 there is a large central disc extrusion seen significantly effacing the cervical cord at this level. The extrusion is causing severe spinal canal stenosis. There is loss of the posterior CSF space at this level. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosisat this level.

OK so being a Medic I can understand most of this.... I just wana know how long can I put off surgery? I'm 29 y/o... I'm not ready to start this!!!!!!
firemedic2524p is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey Fire,

I also saw your posts on the TOS forum.

I am dx with TOS but also have spinal issues at c5/c6 that go hand in hand with my TOS. Sometimes hard to tell what causes what.

I had one surgery for the TOS on my right side and have done pretty well with it but there was alot of neck pain that remained. So I continued to pursue.

The neuro prine guy finally triangulated in on the problem with a combo of MRI, EMG and x-rays. The MRI really did not show much because when laying down things looked ok with some minor disc issues and bone spurs. BUt the EMG showed much more. And then he did flexion and extension x-rays and bingo...unstable cervical spine, more specifically a subluxed disc and the doc also used the term retrolithesis.

Eventually I will need an ACDF but am doing my best to avoid surgery for as long as I can.

Working on all of it with a combination of PT and working out and other things.

Wish I had more of an answer for you in terms of what you should do but it is personal and a matter of tolerance and quality of life.

If you do have surgery talk to the surgeon at length as to what will help, TOS surgery or spinal (ACDF).

I wish you luck.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote