advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Breakfast and Brunch Ideas

Breakfast is one meal that many people find difficult to cope with. Hopefully this thread will inspire people to enjoy breakfast more, rather than being stressed out about it.

A couple of general suggestions:

Soup may seem weird for breakfast. However, once people try it a few times, they generally seem to like the 'healthy' start that it gives their day as well as the fact that it's a nice hot breakfast on cold winter days.

Leftovers from dinner the night before also makes for a nice breakfast. I often top leftover greens or roasted veggies (maybe some rice) with a couple of poached eggs for a wonderful, filling breakfast on those days that I'm extra hungry. The best part is that it only takes the short amount of time to poach some eggs.

Also, don't forget to check out the Beverage thread for great breakfast smoothie ideas!
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 11-17-2006 at 09:50 AM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Stewed Apple Cereal - Great Winter Breakfast

Apples - cut into bite sized pieces (one or two per person)
Raisins - (a handful per person)
Brazil nuts - chopped (about 4 per person)
Sea Salt - pinch
Cinnamon - sprinkling to taste
Honey - drizzle to taste

It could be topped with some yoghurt or melted cheese as well.

OR

This one is almost like having a peanut butter and jam sandwich on a spoon.

Apples - cut into bite sized pieces (one or two per person)
Blueberries - (I used frozen this morning)
Peanut Butter - (1 tablespoon per apple - I use only organic, peanut only peanut butter)
Sea Salt - pinch
Cinnamon - sprinkling to taste
Honey - drizzle to taste

Throw it all into a pot on medium heat and stir occassionally until apples are tender but not mushy (10 minutes... depending upon the type of apple).

This makes a warm and wonderful breakfast or snack. It would probably be good cold too... but it never makes it that far in our house.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 11-07-2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add an alternative set of ingredients.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:21 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kim, I just tried this and it is AWESOME!! Quick, easy, and oh, so tasty!! I didn't have brazil nuts, so I used walnuts instead. The nuts make it really really good.

Thank you!

Edited to add: I just tried this again (the next day) and used agave nectar in place of the honey. It was still really really good. Both the honey and the agave nectar kind of slightly carmelize the nuts - which adds a wonderful flavor and texture. I think the honey does it a bit more, but both ways are good. This could even be used as a dessert.

And Kim, you are right about the apples. I used honeycrisp the first time, and it took about 10 minutes. I used gala the second time, and it took only about 5-6 minutes.

Last edited by myst; 11-04-2006 at 02:07 PM.
myst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Crepes

I adapted this from Cara's recipe to suit our family's needs:

Crepes Source: Cara (I altered)
Bake: medium Time: 60 seconds each side

3 eggs
1 carrot
¾ arrowroot
⅔ cup milk
½ tsp sea salt
½ tablespoon honey

Throw it all in the blender.
Pour into well seasoned iron skillet.
Flip once.
Eat.

Optional fillings:
Butter, maple syrup, honey
Jam (alone or w/ nut butter or cheese)
Soft goat cheese (cream cheese), etc.
Cooked vegetables and sauce.
Cooked meat, vegetables and sauce.

Most of my recipes are on Word and will come out on a 3X5 cue card. Just e-mail me if you want to print it out right away onto a card and I will send you the Word version. I tried to put it here but the file is too big... lots of tailoring... I think that's why.

12/20/2002 The symptomatic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (see: docguide.com)

Last edited by pakisa100 : 11-07-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It isn't elaborate...
Boiled Eggs, boiled the night before.
It's quick and hearty and my kids really love them just plain.

Pamela's Brownie Mix has instructions for cake. I can make 12 cupcakes from it, they are big and fluffy like those expensive coffee house ones and oh so good. I bet some of those large sugar crystals on top would make it look like a coffee house chocolate muffin. My ds2 will eat these for breakfast. They are made with eggs, so it has some protein. Actually he likes any chocolate cupcakes I make for breakfast, Rebecca Riley's recipes are good too.

Listen to your kids, these are some of the stranges request I've had for breakfast:
-chicken nuggets
-hot dogs
-fish sticks
(all GF of course, can you tell my kids are AM protein freaks?)

Anything you can do the night before or day before is good in my house. Bowls of different cut up fruits set on the table for the picking are always a winner. Some cheese slices on the side and some yogurts also go over very well.

My all time personal favorite left over is turkey with the gravy served on toast -- breakfast, lunch or dinner!!!

Let's not forget about the poor egg, it scrambles in a jiffy, can be slapped between 2 pc of toasted gf bread with a slice of cheese and ketchup for a sandwich on the run. Or just eaten scrambled.
Electra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I like a very high protein breakfast, it keeps me full for hours and hours. So I'll have a couple of big sausages or perhaps a slab of meat. I also make an awesome omelet with canadian bacon and green onions and eggs. But if I don't want much I might have walnuts and raisins.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We also aim for protein:
Common breakfast items are

eggs, bacon, and fruit

waffles with mucho nut flours added in (and often coconut and egg too)

pancake - same recipe as waffle

toast with nut butter and sugar free all fruit jam/sauce spread

squash pudding pie (coconut and egg)

These are our typical easy and quick favorites

A day to day lunch pictorial
sleepingbean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:39 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I like soup for breakfast best

Pureed carrot soup with a bit of monterey jack melted in. Yumm.

Garlic and onion omellettes, sometimes with rice or rice pasta stirred in.

Homemade applesauce or poached fruit.

Or dh's favorite breakfast: diced potatoes (he uses the frozen kind, not sure which brands are truly gf, they all have corn.) Some diced onion, and extra frozen peppers, heated through and then we scramble in a few eggs. Its good with or without cheese and salsa. (I used to love it...but...am now allergic to potatoes)

Smoothies: juice, frozen berries, frozen bananas

Gelatin made w/knox and safe juice

SCD banana pancakes for a treat
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Instant Gorditas

It was suggested I post this in several different places where it may fit, so here it is again:
I've found the best way to make instant gorditas, without having to go through all of the hassle of mixing up the masa, rolling it out to the right thickness, cooking, and slitting it to make the pocket for stuffing.
I cook 2 regular corn tortillas on both sides till done, or about done. Then I beat an egg, and either brush egg around the rim on one face of each tortilla, and stick them together, then cook until the egg has set, gluing the two together; or I hold the tortillas vertically, and just rotate them in the egg about 1/2 inch deep, until the rim is coated, stick them together, and procede as above. Of course the second method puts egg on both faces of both tortillas, but it doesn't matter. After cooking, use a sharp knife to gently part a small opening, allowing space through which to stuff the instant gordita. Of course, you may find that a section of the rims haven't "glued" right, in which case you can use this natural opening to stuff through.
For stuffing I use scrambled eggs, cheese, rice, beans, meat, in any combination.
Hugs,
Old 03-17-2007, 12:16 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is an old recipe, but its classic...I don't think anyone can claim it. I adapted it slightly.

Popovers!
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour (or pretty much any flour or combo)
1 cup water (milk if you can tolerate it)
1-2 eggs

Beat the eggs in the water. Gently fold in the safe flour. Put 2 TBS in each mini muffin tin space. Bake at 350ish until they pop (20-30 minutes) I like to err on the over cooked side...dh likes things part raw.

A little sugar goes nicely in there too.
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote