advertisement

Old 11-04-2006, 01:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hidden corn?

I'm pretty sure someone posted a link to foods with "hidden corn", but I've searched and can't find it. Anyone?

A few months ago, I "said" I took my son off of corn and soy, but the almond milk and rice tortillas contain xanthan gum (which I think contains corn?) and the canned tomato products I buy contain citric acid (again, which I think contains corn?). That should pretty much take care of the foods I don't make from scratch. At least we eliminated all corn syrup years ago!

Kim, your post about your elimination diet was a timely reminder. If removing the last traces of corn doesn't do the trick, we'll go for it. I'd try it now but the in-laws are coming for a 2 week visit soon, and I figure I should feed them more than 4 foods. Hmmmm, but wouldn't cooking be a breeze?
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-04-2006, 03:15 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hidden corn is my specialty

Vitamins contain corn. Tea bags can contain corn. Milk cartons can contain corn. Licking envelopes exposes you to corn. Xanthan gum is often grown on corn (It uses the aspergillus mold, if I understand correctly, so it is also possible to be allergic to the gum itself...in which case you'd also be allergic to corn which is nearly always contaminated with the safe to consume variety of aspergillus.) Citric acid is also nearly always a corn byproduct. I've not found an alternative milk that doesn't contain corn or gluten, supposedly there's a pure soy one...but...that won't help you :P Oh, and flours can be cross contaminated with corn starch. They often use it to clean the machinery.

cornallergens.com has a list of corn derivatives.
And here's a summary of potential uses for corn. http://www.iowacorn.org/cornuse/cornuse_2.html
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Mistofviolets!

Do you know if ALL vitamins contain corn? I am currently giving my son some ground-up adult vitamins that are listed as corn-free (among other things).

I had no idea about the milk cartons and tea bags. Hmmm, I also buy ready-made veggie broth in aseptic packages - I wonder if those containers have corn? I'm planning to make rice milk and/or almond milk for ds.

Mind boggling! Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:10 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Not all vitamins, but anything enriched usually has corn as the carrier. I'm currently using solaray vitamins, though I'd like to find something different. Kirkman labs is supposedly corn free.

The thing to ascertain with vitamins is whether or not they were grown on or derived from corn, as well as that none of the excipients (binders) contain corn derivatives. Sometimes the company will say its corn free because the corn has been processed out, but many sensitive individuals still react to the non-protein traces that are left.

Imagine says their broth is corn free. I react but I'm allergic to so many other things, I don't know what I'm reacting to in there.

Corn is a very difficult allergen to manage. We're trying to come up with a safe list on the avoiding corn forum at Delphi, but it keeps changing! SAo frustrating!
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mistofviolets,

I just read (and printed) so much information from the cornallergens website you gave me. OMG! I'm thinking Kim's elimination diet looks easier all the time! But we'll try eliminating as much remaining corn as we can first.

Great information - THANKS!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:17 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would not worry about guest coming, they can eat what you serve or go out! I do not bend over backwards for anyone, especially family. My FIL and his girlfriend just came and I served what we usually eat a meat plain baked, plain veggies, a few different types, salad and my out of my way item was Southern Corn bread which I make as a treat for my ds2. It was all GF as every evening meal I prepare is in my house. And there were no complaints -- if they were not satisfied they could get something at McD next to their hotel on their way back.

Don't hold off finding a solution to your food reactions, just do it and have other in your home deal.
Electra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:21 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Electra, point well taken! Trust me, my in-laws eat "no-junk", vegan, and gf when they are at my house...that is a HUGE change to their diet, and I appreciate their willingness to do it (not that they have a choice!)!

We started ds on the "serious" corn-free today (except for the vitamins which say corn-free, but have some of the corn derivatives on "the list"). If that doesn't stop the bed wetting by the end of the month, the plan is to try the 4-food elimination diet explained in another thread.