Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Panic Attack and TBI/PCS

I had a concussion 3 years ago. I ended up in the hospital last week with what the doctors thought was a heart attack, I had all the triggers of having a heart attack. After doing tests, stress test, the doctors said it was a panic attack or anxiety attack.

Has anyone had similar issues i.e. panic attacks and/or anxiety attacks with TBI/PCS?

Thanks

Melek
melek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, I have anxiety and have TBI. But I have other reason's for the
anxiety.

Donna
Dmom3005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi

hi sorry you have gone through this, its probably not due to the pcs this far out, have you started on any new meds or been doing to much take it easy , many years ago I had a similar thing it was due to lack of sleep, try to take a little time off and get your sleep patterns into sync, that worked for me it was a horrid experience, like my hart was pounding , some posters have had problems sleeping, lack of sleep causes chemical imbalance putting the wrong chemicals into our system a bit like trying to sleep when you are running well thats what it was like for me so I watch for the sign,s and always have meds on hand but go months and months whitout need of them its the opposite with me now though I am always sleepy

hope this helps

kind regards Vini
vini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melek View Post
I had a concussion 3 years ago. I ended up in the hospital last week with what the doctors thought was a heart attack, I had all the triggers of having a heart attack. After doing tests, stress test, the doctors said it was a panic attack or anxiety attack.

Has anyone had similar issues i.e. panic attacks and/or anxiety attacks with TBI/PCS?

Thanks

Melek
Yes. Many episodes of acute anxiety/panic/agoraphobia for years after the skull fracture. Then a year of full-blown panic after the second round of meningitis. Good psychologist mentioned that while I may not be able to prevent the onset of this, I could learn to not react to it and make it worse.

Then, some years after the shotgun barrel was smashed across my nose/forehead twice, combined with the discovery of some issues with industrial chemical compounds in the workplace, I experienced a rise in anxiety/panic incidents. Around this time I started taking clonazepam (after two years of trying every other med in the book). Success...but the pill is not a cure-all. I have to work hard with my thoughts and emotions as well. Still have those days, eh?

Obviously everyone is different...I know many of my brain injuries are from disease and serious toxins. Sure had my share of blunt trauma, too. The right doctor with the right method, and possibly meds, and this can be dealt with.

Good luck...I know it's unsettling when it first happens. It can be managed so you can have a much better quality of life.
Fogbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes. I never had a panic attack in my life until about 3 weeks ago.

I had recovered (or so I thought) from my PCS which occured about a month before hand.

I got the cold and felt unwell. Suddenly I started feeling dizzy and getting a headache, and hey presto my PCS was back again.

I tried to go to bed but my headache wasn't clearing. Suddenly my heart started racing, and I didn't know what was happening.

I got up and walked it off, went back to bed and eventually got to sleep.

I haven't had any attacks since then, and haven't been on any meds. I think mine may have been psychologially induced, as I thought I had gotten rid of my PCS and suddenly it was back, bad as ever, and I may have panicked.

I couldn't say for sure though.
JBoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

With no symptoms for 3 years (?) you do NOT have PCS. Panic attacks are common and can happen for all sorts of reasons but if you underwent a normal recovery from your concussion and have been asymptomatic for 3 years then it has NOTHING to do with it. If it happens again, speak to your doctor and family and get some help.
benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Benjamin

I've been diagnosed with TBI, I have memory problems, confusion, balance issues, headaches everyday since the concussion and tingling in the back of my head that was continuous which I understand from my neurologist is nerve ending. I still am unable to read a book though I read at least a book a month before my concussion.

I've had 2 MRI's of which show that I have widespread periventricular and subortical white matter high signal changes, moderate basal ganglia high signal abnormalities and fiant pontine high signal...whatever that all means. In 'short' I have as my neurologist explained to me torn nerves in my brain, which causes slow processing, memory loss, unable to learn new things and on and on it goes. In a bite I've got brain damage from a severe jarring of the brain from a fall on cement .

I have posted in the past regarding the issues I have and continue to have so I’m not sure exactly what you were saying in your reply…..My question is do others with TBI suffer with panic attacks? I’m a very strong person, always have been, but I do seem to be unable to cope with stress, new things the way I did before . I don't seem to be able to distinguish between important things and not so important things....they are all important, have to be done right away, least I forget to do them or how to do them, so I get stressed from being confused and trying to do all things at the same time and 'messing' them up as I go…other issues regarding the TBI, I’m having problems doing a job that for me now is continuous hit to my ego, I’m worn out from putting up a good front to everyone; I’m worn out looking as though I understand and comprehend what people tell me and ask of me only to have to go off by myself and fumble through whatever it is. I’m worn out trying my best to explain to co-workers under me, instructions/procedures only to have them look at me as though I’m from another planet because I loose words, use incorrect words in sentences basically, I don’t make a lot of sense when I speak….I’m tired of living in a fog that I can not seem to be able to get away from, I’m tired of getting confused and lost when I go to the store. I’m tired of making a list, getting to the store only to realize that I don’t have a list, or forget that I made a list (and the list is in my purse) and then to get home without what I needed. I used to be really smart, quick always a lot of energy....I feel as though I've aged at least 20 years in the last 3 years....maybe these are the reasons for a panic attack….

And I did see my doctor(s) I have more than one now, another thing I never was sick, only went to the doctor for yearly check ups which were always excellent at 53 years old....and I have a great support group of family and friends. Doctor's answer, drugs....my answer - I don't do drugs unless they cure me of the TBI....I don't want to treat the symptoms to only have to take something else to treat the side effects of the original med.... I've already tried that, they only made me sick.

Melek

Well I feel a bit better railing on so....thanks *smiles*
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi melek

hi melek

good to see ya posting again sorry you are having a hard time, vent all you like, we know how you feel . I have been getting angry of late with this my whole situation and how professionals and people cant understand brain injury they, seem to think you should be a half wit, to have a tbi but this is not the case its , the processing of information, they cant even understand that, I am not happy that I can no longer work, I have an appointment with a gov department tomorrow that try to get jobs for sick an disabled people , last time I saw them they said we will contact you in a couple of weeks when you are feeling better what do these people know about TBI a big fat NOTHING, IT is my intention to recover as much of my old self as I can, I have an appointment a nuro psychologist soon to map the brain damage , but for me that means nothing, I think I did more damage by going back to work and frying my brain trying to cope with a tbi, than the months I have been off work , I am trying to heal by route of nuroplasticity and omega 3/6
the view that we except that there can be no improvement, is dangerous, because that is also relearned, please try to read a about nuroplasticity, but we need time and our undivided attention away, from the crap the world throws at us, to work on our selfs, with the help of neurophysiology to recover what we can, and age plays no part in it !!

I read a bit at a time re read re read until I under stand

keep in touch pm if you need to

kind regards vini
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Vini,

Thanks for the reply. I understand your feelings of people, doctors, loved ones just not understanding. It is very frustrating. And I do get angry about my circumstances. I know that I would be getting better if I could just not have to be under so much stress all the time, working is the worst thing for recovery....but I don't have a choice in it, so I fumble along.

I'm wishing to be 62 so that I can go on Social Security (government retirement here) just hope I make it 6 more years.....Yikes!

Anyway, hang in there, I think we all get really angry from time to time with this horrible condition...it would be so much simplier if we had an opening to our brain for all to see the damage *smiles* and maybe then people would understand...

Tomorrow is a brand new day.....

Take care

Melek
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi melek

hi melek

if I go back to work I will be doing a job that helps others check out the link below i will give it its own post as well

thanks http://www.utahinjurylawblog.com/200...aumatic_1.html