Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default use it or lose it

Hey everyone,

I liked the thread on what hobbies we like to do, but I'd also like to know if there is some type of cause and effect of "using it or losing it" in regards to our symptoms.

Because each of us has different symptoms, the "use it or lose it" has to correlate with our specific symptom that we're trying to contol. Does that make sense?

Anyway, in my case, my right toe curls but I still haven't found a cause and effect as to why it's good one day and bad the next. I take a muscle relaxant which does help but I also bought "Dance, Dance Revolution" (DDR)to keep my feet and toes limber. With DDR, there is a CD that you insert in an X-Box and it brings up different songs (some with fast beats and some with slow beats) which you follow along with arrows on the television screen.

There is also a word game on the website "Real Arcade" called Text Twist that helps keep my miind more alert.

Do any of you have other symptoms that are controlled, in part, because you "use it" instead of losing it?

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudest_mama View Post
Hey everyone,

I liked the thread on what hobbies we like to do, but I'd also like to know if there is some type of cause and effect of "using it or losing it" in regards to our symptoms.

Because each of us has different symptoms, the "use it or lose it" has to correlate with our specific symptom that we're trying to contol. Does that make sense?

Anyway, in my case, my right toe curls but I still haven't found a cause and effect as to why it's good one day and bad the next. I take a muscle relaxant which does help but I also bought "Dance, Dance Revolution" (DDR)to keep my feet and toes limber. With DDR, there is a CD that you insert in an X-Box and it brings up different songs (some with fast beats and some with slow beats) which you follow along with arrows on the television screen.

There is also a word game on the website "Real Arcade" called Text Twist that helps keep my miind more alert.

Do any of you have other symptoms that are controlled, in part, because you "use it" instead of losing it?
I think your so right on. Myself, the more I exercise the more I feel like a normal person, without the arm that feels like it weighs a 100 lbs.
exercise is the most important treatment for PD, for me. If I exercise every day, i feel normal, if I don't, I feel really crappy....
sept08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I agree:

The use it or lose it applies to us in a big way. If we exercise we feel better, it we keep moving and active we are able to keep our muscles, brain and all our other body parts from atrophying and its already hard to move it sometimes -so we can lose it really fast. You'll get to lie down after your dead, so in the meantime KEEP MOVING.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree too. The exercise and brain activity helps keep the mind, body, and spirit up and going rather than dwelling on the ills. I noticed if I don't focus on the PD, I feel better. If I start focusing on the bad, I feel worse and my symptoms increase. So, I ignore what's bad for as long as I can.

This past summer I started bike diding again. This was a good thing for me as it increased my strength in my arms and legs and helped with my balance. I can now lift a 65 lb order easily in the warehouse where as before I could barely lift a 25 lbs package.

Mentally I keep the brain cells fluid by working on my Bachelor's degree that I started 25-plus years ago. I have 6 more classes to go, and even though I am dead fatigued, I plan on finish it anyway.

The other thing I noticed too is that my piano playing helps me not just mentally but physically. The emotional high on a good day is the best therapy for anyone. This too is a good method for keeping the dust bunnies from collecting on the neurons. I'm constantly working out fingerings, rhythm difficulties, and dynamics. I've actually managed to play cross-handed when needed. This is quite the brain challenge because the left hand play over the right hand. The brain says play the notes, and the hands get confused. This is also good physically because there is a lot of upper torse movement when piano playing as I reach the upper and lower ends of the keyboard, and my arms are moving all over the place. In addition, the playing helps with the finger dexterity and muscle control. With the playing I can keep my fingers mobile and the movements fluid, and the muscle control through controlling the touch for dynamics. The dynamic control can be difficult when the fingers aren't moving properly so I end up with notes that STICK OUT like they shouldn't.

This all sounds great and wonderful, but there are good days and bad days so I focus on the good ones and ignore the bad ones.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote