Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Non-hydrogenated virgin coconut oil

I am experimenting with the above which was referred to in an earlier post which explained how it was helping an Alzheimer's patient regain his ability to think, hinting that it may be useful for Parkinson's patients.

I am keeping in mind the placebo effect, but after two days on one teaspoon of the oil, I actually smelled hamburgers cooking. I also noticed my fingers were nimble, less clumsy. Tomorrow I will try two teaspoons, working my way up eventually to two tablespoons per day.

Boy, those hamburgers smelled so good!

Has anyone else tried this?

Ann
AnnT2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nik-key (11-18-2008)

advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default I'm in Day 7

I have been trying for two TBLSP per day and that may be a little too much. Trying to cut back on meds a little to thwart the evening dyskinesias.

Regaining your sense of smell would be especially interesting since it is one of the first losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnT2 View Post
I am experimenting with the above which was referred to in an earlier post which explained how it was helping an Alzheimer's patient regain his ability to think, hinting that it may be useful for Parkinson's patients.

I am keeping in mind the placebo effect, but after two days on one teaspoon of the oil, I actually smelled hamburgers cooking. I also noticed my fingers were nimble, less clumsy. Tomorrow I will try two teaspoons, working my way up eventually to two tablespoons per day.

Ann
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default coconut oil and cholesterol

are there any known cholesterol consequences with that big a dollop of coconut oil?
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Cholesterol

I approach the cholesterol question with a grain of salt. For one thing, low cholesterol is linked to PD. One possible reason is tied to my pet theory about the role of the bacterial endotoxin LPS. The way the body normally deals with it is to bind it to cholesterol so it can be safely transported to the liver. Low cholesterol is not necessarily good. (Unless you are selling statins, of course. ) But, with the coconut oil, I am sure that there is some point at which it is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquario View Post
are there any known cholesterol consequences with that big a dollop of coconut oil?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:36 AM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up dear ann~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnT2 View Post

Ann

I really love coconut oil
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...113#post410113

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default helps with constipation too

Not sure about anything else, but my PWP says it's a big help with constipation, which many PWP suffer from.

On sense of smell: curious that someone mentioned that. My PWP also mentioned he could smell this morning, although he has said his sense of smell came and went before we tried the magical coconut oil. We have tried to figure out what brings it back to no avail. Interesting.

We haven't been able to tell if he has reached genius IQ yet from taking the C oil, but time will tell.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi. I'm back Stateside.

I'm a big fan of coconut oil. The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fifer gave me a lot of valuable information. He points out the numerous ways it can be extraordinarily beneficial, aiding in the absorption of foods and the promotion of function and healing in the digestive tract, actually lowering your cholesterol, boosting the immune system, and protecting your skin from infection, etc. He points out that people whose diets traditionally have been based solidly on the coconut have been incredibly healthy and gorgeous - early explorers were devastated by the magnificence of the Polynesians for instance, who had incredibly beautiful skin and hair despite many hours in the sun, etc.

He also discusses how the soybean industry at one point made a huge concerted campaign to discredit coconut and palm oil. One reason it is so much better for you is because unlike other oils, it doesn't transform upon heating - even olive oil degenerates and becomes potentially hazardous upon heating. The other thing he doesn't mention so much in this book but I have read elsewhere is that coconut oil seems to be unique in encouraging thyroid function, whereas soy oil and products have been recently faulted for causing goiters even in children. Since thyroid function is so important for PD'ers, this attracted me significantly.

For the past six months, I have been using it as much as possible, trying for at least 3-4 tablespoonseful daily. This is not so easy - I don't like the taste much, but find there are many things you can make with it that are ok, especially if you heat it pretty high to begin with. I make delicious pastry-like things with wholegrain flour and coconout oil - they are so light and flakey, unlike any other fat I've ever used. I've had so many changes in my body lately, it's hard to say what is what, but I did lose 15 pounds that I needed to and my body has been significantly reshaped since I started trying seriously to use coconut oil. My digestive problems have also resolved themselves. I also use it on my skin - not wanting to smell like that all the time, I melt it and mix with lemongrass essential oil, and that seems to work great. It is so excellent for protecting skin, and creating a slight envelope of healing warmth, which I think is great for PD'rs who have a hard time maintaining a consistent body temperature.

Every single person I have gotten to read the book I mention above, has been an instant convert. Be sure to get organic virgin cold-pressed oil. You can reuse it safely after you fry with it. It is solid below 76 degrees F, and then melts, but does not destabilize upon melting or heating. I love this stuff.

Oh, and no, I have nothing to do with selling it, nor apparently does Mr. Fifer who wrote the book.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:49 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I find that up to a tablespoon in a large cup of coffee works well. That isn't as strange as it sounds - like cream.

I do think that my meds are working better, or at least I find myself feeling a bit over-medicated at times and I am beginning to cut back just a little. This is Day 8 or so for me.

One other change that may be of note. I had developed a recurring problem with the valve at the junction between esophagus and stomach closing, particularly if eating in a hurry. It was becoming a once or twice a week thing. There has been no hint of it since beginning this trial.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick, how do you tell if that valve is closing? I have had trouble swallowing capsules of supplements because it feels like they're jamming up in my esophagus, and not going into my stomach right away. If I don't leave several minutes between each capsule, it's uncomfortable and I wonder if I'm doing any damage. I actually sprinkle everything I can onto food or into drinks to avoid the problem, but some like magnesium citrate are too bitter for that.
wendy s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default entacapone and coconut oil

I had developed excess stomach acid and a duodenal problem after about two months on entacapone, lots of ULQ pain and discomfort. To my surprise this has died back with coconut oil, I'm also just over a week into using it, not too loberally as yet. It is also helping with dry mouth, perhaps coating mucosa?? Well, it seems so, but shall continue to experiment - am planning to try an organic carrot cake using it, almond flour and apple butter for sweetner,will report back on success! I am not able to take it by the spoonful, wondered if others found it difficult too, and would be happy to exchange recipe ideas!

Fiona, my weight tumbled when I lived in Asia, returned when I came back to uk, may be coincidence, but this is a tangible difference in diet. Don't know quite why it took so long for me to realise it. Am living in hope.............

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote