Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I am always looking for new sources of protein

So I said to myself "EGG WHITES". Nothing wrong with them, right? Good lean protein. 20 or so calories to an egg white.

So tonight I was starving and I had 4 egg whites.

I then googled egg whites.

After reading about how chemo patients and renal patients are encouraged to eat egg whites because of their lean protein, I then saw the following: The first sentence gave me hope. Then it all went downhill!! lol

# It is used by athletes and bodybuilders as a health food supplement.[9]
# It can be used as a base for waterproof glues. [10]
# During egging vandalism the egg white can degrade house and car paint. After drying it is extremely hard to remove.
# It can be combined with gasoline to make a gelled incendiary compound similar to napalm

NAPALM!!!!!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Dang, I guess though that everything has its good and bad uses....don't know. My daughter is hooked on them...

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (12-11-2008)
Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiloo View Post
Dang, I guess though that everything has its good and bad uses....don't know. My daughter is hooked on them...
I guess I'm going to have to keep eating my fish at least 3 times a week. I was hoping to get to eat Tofu (I LOVE IT), but after reading how it ages the brain (it's all over the internet) and it causes tumors to grow because of it's estrogen like effects, well that did it for me. I won't buy it anymore. I never used Soy milk.

But I did enjoy my tofu. And today I went to the asian market and asked them if they sold Tempeh (I read that it's safer than tofu because it's fermented and Tofu is not fermented.

So the girl says 'oh, tempeh, sure we have it, it's in the back". I go in the back and all I see is Tofu. I call her over and she gives me the Tofu. And I say "no, not Tofu, Tempeh" and she says "Tempeh, Tempeh??what is that"?.

I give up.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gee after reading this I may need to start eating more egg whites.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well..Marjorine is only a molecule away from plastic, so napalm is at least interesting...

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (12-11-2008)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarExpress View Post
Well..Marjorine is only a molecule away from plastic, so napalm is at least interesting...
Do you all realize that for breakfast, instead of eating the whites, we could have set fire to something?

Oh my god!!

lol

P.S. I'm going crazy trying to remember what people in England put on their bread. It's not butter, but it's a name that's on the tip of my tongue. I think it ends in the letters tite or something like that. Maybe it's marmite??

Please, SOMEBODY !!! put me out of my misery.
NEVER MIND. I JUST LOOKED UP MARMITE.

Why can't we get this item here? I would love to just once, try Marmite or Vegemite. Are they fattening?? I looked up Marmite and it's fascinating.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 12-10-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:25 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Melody,

Do you eat beans for your protein? Beans and rice are the perfect combination, very yummy and eaten 'round the world as a staple. It is comfort food for our family, in fact my 11 yo daughter asked for that meal for her birthday! Another yummy one is lentils and brown rice. Seasoned right..mmmmmm
Deb
debm2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (12-11-2008)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debm2 View Post
Hey Melody,

Do you eat beans for your protein? Beans and rice are the perfect combination, very yummy and eaten 'round the world as a staple. It is comfort food for our family, in fact my 11 yo daughter asked for that meal for her birthday! Another yummy one is lentils and brown rice. Seasoned right..mmmmmm
Deb
I don't eat too many beans (too much gas). And I don't go near rice (I'm diabetic). But I eat my sprouts (and they're LOADED with protein). And I eat a can of Bumble Bee water packed tuna on top of my fresh sprouts, some fresh mushrooms, a slice of red onion, and perhaps 6 sliced black olives. You put a dash of lemon juice, a splash of extra virgin olive oil, and a dash of salt and fresh ground pepper, and believe me, this is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten.

All I did was stop buying lettuce and I put whateve sprouts I've grown, well, I put them in my salad.

Then at night I have another salad (no tuna), and I take my sprouts, and add them to some broccoli florets, some zucchini, (or whatever veggies I have in the house), and I do a stir-fry. Along with some Salmon (or a slice of tofu which I only eat once a week), well that takes care of my protein. I also will eat some Dreamfield's Pasta once or twice a week.

The next night, I take all the leftover veggies, add just a bit of grated carrots, add some more sprouts, add some egg whites, some fresh minced onions, blend all together in a bowl, form into patties, and pan fry them.

For Alan, I drizzle some honey and splenda on them. For me, I just eat them plain. They are really good and I look at it this way.

I eat what I have grown. Sounds good to me!!!

I have my friend around the corner growing her first batch of lentils. She asked me last night. "What the heck do I do with these white things that are coming out of the lentils?"

After laughing, I said "you eat them in your salad, or you toss then with your veggies".

She then said "you mean I don' take the white things off".

I can't believe that people are now coming TO ME with questions. I only just learned about sprouting last month.

This is hysterical.

Her mother who is 77 sat there and said "you eat these things?"

Then she started calling me The Sprout-Lady.

You have to laugh at that!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM #9
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

Mel,

I think the truth is that everything in excess is bad for you.

A lot of these studies are done by "competitors" or people that abuse the way they eat it.

For example, somebody read, "oh, Tofu is good for you" so they start to eat nothing but Tofu...but neglect other nutritions

or somebody goes, "oh, nuts are good for you" so they eat a bucket full of nuts a day.

it's kind of like diets, all diets WORK short term, but then people start to abuse them on a long term basis.

because the trick to dieting is to get ourselves back on track to eating the RIGHT and "BALANCED" meals...

balance is the key...

Tofu was and is and will be a main staple in Asian countries but they don't eat it 10 times a day or do they drink Soy milk with every meal and neglect other things.

because of it's high protein content, it is best eaten with other veggies that are high in fiber.

I've read a lot of those studies and really, I find them a very puzzling....I am not saying that they are wrong, but I just think there ARE folks out there that might be allergic or have other reactions to soybeans but then you can say that about nuts, eggs, wheat, the whole shabam and then nothing is edible anymore.

The other truth is LEAN BEEF...LEAN beef especially for women after menopause is healthy. Anything that has the word "-loin" behind is good for you because of the high iron and vit B family groups...

but that doesn't mean you eat lean beef three meals a day.

And eating too much fish can give you mercury poisoning so while fish is very good for you, you have to deal with that...

my thoughts on egg white is that is provides great protein. But I wouldn't eat 4 egg whites three times a day.

Perhaps two egg whites in the morning supplemented with something high in fibre like whole wheat toast and then have a handful of nuts between lunch and breakfast would give you a good amount of protein

and like debm said, beans are high in protein, that with brown rice (which is high in fibre) could help in the digestion of protein. (black eyed peas, kidney beans, soy beans are high in protein but once again, don't eat them three times a day)

Of course, don't forget your other important nutrients...

variety is the spice of life, if you stick to any ONE diet constantly, not only will you get sick of it, you will also get "Sick" from it...

just my two cents

"you're entering, the

zone..."

Last edited by who moi; 12-11-2008 at 11:50 AM.
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Who Moi!!!

you are a smart cookie.

I have had to make major changes over these past 7 years (since my son left us).

I used to self-medicate with food every single night. I had my own pity party. I used to sit in front of the tv with bags of chips, dips, doodles, cupcakes, and just eat myself into a coma.

To go from THAT, to eating the way I do now, well it took some time. I have learned NEWER eating habits, and what I'm learning now is how to incorporate various foods into my diet.

I do allow myself an indulgence or two (let's say I go to a party). If you think I'm not going to have a pretzel, well forget it. I have to learn how to eat one pretzel, or one thing or another. Last week I went to my niece's birthday bash in New Jersey. They had ALL SORTS OF GOODIES. I never saw such a layout. Now if this were the old me, I would have had some party. So would Alan.

But I just sampled of bit of this, and a bit of that, I didn't go near any of the food being heated up in the Sternos because they all were in heavy butter sauces, and cream sauces, and I know my stomach. When you don't eat this and then you indulge, well I would have gotten sick. So I just ate some salad and a small slice of veggie pizza. It was enough for me.

And I did have a piece of birthday cake. I enjoyed it. One piece. The old me would have eaten 6 pieces. I would have sneaked these pieces when no one was looking. I used to do that. That's how I got to be over 300 lbs. You don't eat when everyone's looking at you. You sneak it. Did this for years.

But now I seem to have a handle on what's good for my body.

And yesterday was the icing on the cake (great example no??lol).

I had to make a trip to Alan's primary care to pick up his meds. The guy is my primary care doc also but since I go to the Accord Program at Cornell (which he knows all about), well I don't get to see this guy. Alan adores Dr. Fred. He reminds me of Dr. Oz.

So I walked in and he came out and he hugged me. This doctor is absolutely marvelous. He said "wow, look at you, you really lost it and kept it off". I thanked him for taking such good care of Alan.

My Accord study is over in April, so I will be going back to him for my regular blood work etc.

Alan and I are extremely lucky to be in the hands of this man.

So thanks for all the good protein suggestions.

I have one question. With all the fiber (and I don't have to use Benefiber any more), well, what does one do when one has more flatulence than one would want to have?

Dr. Oz said "Flatulence is perfectly normal when one is on a high fiber diet".

Easy for him to say.

I do take beano with my broccoli but honestly, would Gaviscon or Gas X be okay when one eats the way I eat?

Thanks,Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (12-11-2008)