Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default newby questions on back pain management

HI there. I have had long term back issues since 98, and recently diagnosed through MRI at VA hospital with l5,s1 disc herniation pressing on my nerve into my left leg. The pain goes down through the butt, the outside of left thight and down to my outside ankle, feeling as if someone is grinding an icepick into it. MY MRI also diagnosed arthritis in my lower facet joints? whatever the heck those are!
I will be seeing my neuro -surgeon within the next few months, *the holidays sure do slow down the government~* Utimately i will have to live with the leg pain until after the holidays and my arthritis forever..

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on managing this pain better. I currently take percoset 325mg & Ibuprofen, about 4 times a day.
I was just changed from vicadin to percoset upon my MRI readings. They are also sending some neurontin, for the nerve pain in my leg. I hate to admit that i am doubtful that even that will work. The pain is so intense and NEVER lessens.. until i put some sleeping pills in my system so i can get at least 4 hours of sleep each night, but after the 4 hours if i am lucky~ i cant stay in bed due to the pain either.
I work at an office, as a receptionist, i sit almost all day. I do try to get up but the pain makes me hesitant to change positions at all. Yesterday it was my job to hang christmas decorations, i figured as long as they were not heavy i could do it. well , as i am only 5ft tall, i had to stretch up to hang the garland over hte door, and OMG! the pain was terrifying.. so stretching is out!
The VA does their best, but i am only one of thousands of patients much worse off than me. and i am young and other than this very healthy. I have 2 young children to care for, and i hate to be a mom that they have to wait on and take care of. this takes away from their childhood and i love them too much to put such pressure on them. I try my best to play with them inside games, and baking, but i cant go outside and make snowangels with them anymore, or so many other things a mom should do with her babies. (they arent babies by the way just MY babies, they are 11 &9)

I am hoping to meet and talk with other people who are experiencing this, and can withhold from becoming depressed, i dont want to feel like such a failure because my spine gave out~
Also if anyone knows better ways to sit, stand or just be to ease the pain through each day. Also, recommended surgeries for the pinched nerve at l5,s1... im scared of fusion.
Thanks for any input...
tc77tek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement