Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I just bought Turmeric

I had read several posts on these message boards and found them fascination. And since I am learning how to 'COOK' at the ripe old age of 61, I figured, "why not use turmeric"?

I found an old post on this subject and here's an exerpt:

"The information on curcumin is overwhelming now, showing it is a multifunctional supplement, in that it is a powerful antioxidant, anti inflammatory, and heavy metal chelator, to mention but a few."

So I figured "I eat fish, fish has mercury, if I eat turmeric which has curcumin, and it's a heavy metal chelator, maybe it will cancel out the mercury".

Irrational thinking I know but that's how my mind works.

I have never used this spice. But I'll put a dash in my sprout patties and see how they come out.

It's so interesting that I'm learning to cook at my age. God only knows what I'll try when I'm 80!!

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (12-13-2008), oldsteve (12-13-2008), weegot5kiz (12-12-2008), who moi (12-13-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

hi Mel

the curcumin from turmeric is one of the things that has helped my son's Crohn's stay under control. we use it in cooking and he also uses the supplements

so many good recipes to use it in and I also use it to color rice etc. I make a yoghurt marinade for chicken with liberal amounts turmeric, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and lime! yummy yummy and oh so healthy

btw the herb cilantro is also a heavy metal chelator, as is supplement chlorella

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (12-13-2008), who moi (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I am researching

this topic too.

It appears that there is evidence that in order to get the active ingredients into the blood stream, to help with areas excluding the GI tract, that an enhancing substance is needed for curcumin to work as an anti-inflammatory.

This is often suggested: mixed in oil (while cooking), or use of Bioperine, which is included in many supplements.
Bioperine is an extract made from black pepper.

So if you eat curcumin it may be best to make sure it is with an oil/fat in the food.

Chemar's success obviously reflects the GI staying power of this spice. So absorption may be less critical for Crohn's or colitis. For others who want endothelial (blood vessel) effects or arthritis effects, an enhancing substance may be more successful.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (12-13-2008), LavandulaCanadensis (12-13-2008), MelodyL (12-13-2008), who moi (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM #4
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

15 yr Member

wow cheri,

you just invented your own "curry" LOL

they have studied tumeric (which is a major ingredient in curry) and have found that it helps with certain types of cancer, alzheimer's, and digestion.

They have studied India, where Tumeric is high in their diet, where it has the highest ratio of people that have the least of Alzheimer's and certain types of cancers.

Their diets are high in Yogurt that has pro-biotics and tumeric...maybe there is a connection...

all the "Guru's" seem to have originated from there and a lot of them live to be very long...

I have seen "guru's" that are in their 80's, practicing Yoga, eating Yogurt, eating curry, and are more flexible than a gymnast....LOL

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (12-13-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by who moi View Post
wow cheri,

you just invented your own "curry" LOL

they have studied tumeric (which is a major ingredient in curry) and have found that it helps with certain types of cancer, alzheimer's, and digestion.

They have studied India, where Tumeric is high in their diet, where it has the highest ratio of people that have the least of Alzheimer's and certain types of cancers.

Their diets are high in Yogurt that has pro-biotics and tumeric...maybe there is a connection...

all the "Guru's" seem to have originated from there and a lot of them live to be very long...

I have seen "guru's" that are in their 80's, practicing Yoga, eating Yogurt, eating curry, and are more flexible than a gymnast....LOL
Well, if I could move like those yogis do, well, now that WOULD be something wouldn't it? I've watched those contortionists on tv and I just sit there saying out loud "How do these people bring their heads between their legs, etc, and then they can GET UP AGAIN AND WALK??

I've watched Cirque de Soleille and I just sit there transfixed while those acrobats balance themselves on skinny poles. So flexible. I wonder WHAT THEY EAT!!!

Oh, today Alan's nurse came for his infusion. I always make something special for all of us. Today I made the veggie patties with my home-grown sprouts. And I put some chipotle on the patties. Oh my god, they were so good. And I made a salad using all the sprouts that I had grown. It was divine.

Guess who is now trying sprouting??

lol

She says Alan is doing just fine. He actually sleeps through most of it.

You should have seen me showing her my trays of fenugreek, lentils, etc. Then I put my alfalfa in the window sill for 15 minutes and they turned green.

Just imagine eating something that you've just seen turn green in 15 minutes. Absolutely amazing.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LavandulaCanadensis (12-14-2008)
Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb well, Mel...

When I was getting my physical therapy a while back I asked the PT...and she said that many of the contorsionists on shows like that have genetic hypermobility of the tendons.
Some people call it "double jointed" but that is not really an
accurate term.

She said that hypermobile people tend to develop all sorts of
disabilities in older age groups,esp in the back.

We are only seeing them at their prime. The rest of their lives may be very painful for them.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (12-14-2008)
Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mel,

I think you are mistaken yoga for contortionists...although there is a belief that a lof of these contortionists originated from yoga.

"YOGA" is in essence, learning about your body. Its limitations are based on what you can do and what you can't do...which is endless...

everyone's levels are different. It's like swimming for health and swimming like Michael Phelps...I don't know if Michael Phelps would be able to maintain that speed when he hits 60 or 80...

Yoga is self-awareness...there are many different programs and exercises that it has, from beginners to the experts' levels...it is all about where we want our bodies to go.

Just like there are people that jog 4 miles and there are those that jog 20 miles...

for example: (I always use this as an example to illustrate yoga)

there is a "corpse" position in yoga where you simply lie down on the floor, you place your arms in 45 degree angle and you try to relax and actually fall asleep..

THAT, is yoga...part of it..

the different levels are our own challenge levels...some of us like our eggs well done and some of us like our eggs runny...

yoga has that flexibility to do that...

it tries to incorporate healthy living and breathing and reaching that mind/body connection...

for myself, the nexus of that is very crucial as I age...as my body becomes more inflexible and my spines are hurting like crazy and my pain levels are high...I find yoga a nice escape...milli-meter by milli-meter is my own personal goal, but one can stay in the same position of where their levels are at, if they so shall choose....

a really good yogo teacher is not going to tell you to put your legs behind your head...a really good yoga teacher is going to help you become more flexible on your own terms...

I think that's important especially in women...osteoporosis can be helped with yoga because of using your body weight to strengthen your muscles and bones...

I think Contortionists follow an EXTREME form of routine and exercises and I would not recommend that to anyone....

but yoga is about balance, peace, and harmony...being one with your body...

and it's a gradual pace...to where you are comfortable at, at YOUR exact moment....

anyways...there is deep philosophy behind yoga but I am not an expert..these are just the ones I walked away with...as with everything else, there are always 3 sets of opinions and studies and contrasts...find the ones that correlated with you the best...

"you're entering, the

zone..."

Last edited by who moi; 12-17-2008 at 01:08 PM.
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote