Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Opinions on a digital camera...

I want a new camera and can't decide which one. I have a fuji 35mm film camera I have been using for over fifteen years. I love it, never had any problems with it. I also have two digital cameras...one is about six years old and takes great pics if you're not too far away. The other is a Jazz camera recorder and fits in a pocket.

I've looked at Nikon and Canon. I need one that is more professional and wondered if any of you use a good digital. I also looked at Kodak...saw a couple I liked and within my price range.

I would call Ashton K. but his phone number is unlisted. lol
Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (12-15-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9855252

kodak easy share.

this is the one my husband bought recently. it's been really easy to use. especially to load the pictures. the videos we have done turned out really good. easy to switch back and forth. it has auto setting, which i like. just turn it on and take pictures.

lil'monkey took a picture of herself in black and white. it's the cover on my photo album in my profile.

the in store price was different.. i can check what he paid.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I looked at lot in the 100- 200 price range - on sale of course

But I ended up finding one I liked at an upscale pawn shop -{ NOT the scary ones in the scary parts of the city LOL}

anyway this place is nice and clean and you can buy things and take them home to try out for awhile { I didn't check the time limit cause I knew in a day or 2 if i liked it and it worked well}

tried 2 high end 35 mm cameras and didn't really like them - got my money back - went back in a month or 2 and found the one I bought and kept. I got mine for 165.00 & a gig? card & case included

Olympus 500UZ - googled images of it -
http://images.google.com/images?q=Ol...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

new version of it - http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1316

Last edited by Jomar; 12-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (12-15-2008)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I currently use a FujiFilm digital camera. I like it because the battery is rechargeable and lasts and long time. It also knows how to compensate for a bright background, so faces aren't dark. It can even identify faces (a little green square frames each one) so that it focuses correctly. I think I ordered it from QVC.

The one I had before was a Casio Exilim and came with a cradle that you placed it in to recharge -- I really miss that feature.

Say CHEESE!

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to mention that it will also take video. I'm no expert -- I just keep everything on automatic.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!

Last edited by Twinkletoes; 12-16-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (12-15-2008)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Love my Nikon D80 - its very light which is important for me
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb We have a Sony Cybershot zoom...

It takes fabulous pics. See my profile. I have had a TON of fun with this camera. (and I don't consider myself very camera literate). I only use the auto features. And I have taken shots in the DARK with it. How cool is that?

There were a few little things that have been fixed in the
newer version DSC H50... we are thinking about getting it
to upgrade our DSC 12x 5.1 megpixel.

Better battery life, better wide angle, faster shutter, bigger and moveable view screen...15X zoom, and better ISO selection on auto. (this latter thing messes me up sometimes with the 12X zoom that I presently have).

It ranges about $299. Has manual capabilities so you can do
SLR stuff with it. Sony needs a different memory card, and that may be an issue for you. Can't use your old ones (unless you had a Sony before).

If you go to Steve's Digicams and read the various reviews, I found that very helpful.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Consumer Reports rated the Sony 15x zoom very highly.
(our old one was also highly rated).

I understand how difficult it is to choose. It took me weeks to settle on the Sony. (our first digital).
We used Consumer reports, I visited various camera forums, and finally Steve's Digicams cinched it for me. I use the Zoom all the time, even for portraits etc.
I have captured hummingbirds, eagles, toads, flowers, moving jet skis, sunsets, sunrises, rainbows-- the picture in my signature is with this camera. (I do a bit of adjustment sometimes in my graphics programs..cropping, highlighting etc. But mostly what you see in my profile is what you get. )
Most of the art work is not from this camera. Only the dark crystal ball and the 1/2 one of the citrine.
3 of the people shots are from a regular film camera (the buoy shot, my husband on the porch, and the one of my son BBQing with the deer behind him and the one of Tippy on the dock reflecting the sunset.) All of the vacation pictures are with the CyberShot digital.

The attached picture I took when I first got the camera (the older 12x zoom).
It is an extreme zoom... maximum. Looking into the sky, of a pilated woodpecker. These are huge woodpeckers and very shy and hard to get. I cropped the picture to this size, and did a small amount of contrast fixing. I was so excited to catch this
moment. They are so rare. But it is an example of what an amateur can do with this auto zoom camera. I just shot what I could, as this 15inch bird was learning how to make a big hole. The adult flew off, but this juvenile stayed enough for me to get 25 shots quickly. 8 or so were worth keeping.
This was a very tall tree stand and rather dark below with brilliant sky above. It was totally great for my low camera ego!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-19-2009 at 08:04 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (12-16-2008)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I love our Olympus 18x zoom. With my hands being so bad, it was an easy camera to grip and hold. The pictures, including the videos, come out great.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I used to have a Minolta 35 mm film camera...loved it. Last Christmas my DH bought me a Canon rebel digital camera...I am frankly having trouble using it, mainly because my memory issues prevent me from remembering what I learn about it. It is nice, though, to be able to see the picture immediately. I hope to learn how to use it after the holidays...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hubby has a Nikon D80 with extra lens but is dreaming of either a D300 or a D700...I have a Sony H7 but sometimes use the Nikon. I love digital, never have to worry about wasting film!

Another good site to check out is DPreview (we both belong to this site) http://www.dpreview.com/ ...you get a chance to see pictures taken with a variety of cameras.

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

MrsD those pictures are really clear...this one thing I need to be able to alter backgrounds, etc. I do a lot of refinishing photos, I want a camera that is clear and sharp.

Thank you all for the information...I am still doing some research...
Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote