The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Looking for a new PCM & Neuro (long)

I was diagnosed in 05. Kept working 12 hr shifts on a cardiac floor, I'm an RN. In July of 05 did a nasty 'face plant' in front of the nurses station, hit head on floor, bruised ribs and hurt left wrist. A Dr who was at the nurses desk, was yelling orders.....warm up the CT, she heeds a head CT, chest x-ray etc. I was wheled to employee health by the charge nurse.
Was seen by employee health, who did nothing.....not even an x-ray. I did get to go home 2 hours early though!! Charge nurse did fill out an incident report!!
I continue to work with increasing weakness of my left leg and arm. the weakness is interfering with everything in my life. I finally went out on disability in Aug of 06.
My weakness is still progressing rapidly even without working. Dear DH finally pressures neuro into doing an MRI of the spine to rule out any problems there. Neuro was attributing the increasing weakness to the MS, despite no change in brain MRI.
The spinal MRI shows a severely herniated cervical disk. Neuro wants me to see orthopedic surgeon. Back to PCM for referral. I asked him for the referral in May 08.
When I returned to PCM in Sept and INSISTED he put in another referral[he didn't think I needed it!] After dealing with his idiotic office staff who think they know my insurance company better then I do! I finally get referral to Ortho Doc.
I see the ortho in Dec who orders PT cervical traction, which has helped resolve my left sided weakness, which means the weakness IS due to the cervical herniation NOT the MS!!
The physical therapist was amazing....she arranged for me to get a MAFO for my left leg which arrived in one week!! The woman is a miracle worker!
Most likely I will have to have surgery to correct the herniation. I can't go to PT the rest of my life!!

To add insult to injury.....my Medicare benefits kick in February and neither my PCM or Neuro accept Medicare !
So I am on a search for a new PCM & Neuro
I guess this if God's way of helping me make the decision to change docs.

DH is LIVID about how the neuro just blew off the possibility of spinal problems and attributed everything to the MS, he is also po'd at the pcm who was very lax in getting me the referral but he is really upset with the hospital where I used to work and had the fall. Both DH and ortho surgeon feel the herniated disk is from the face plant I had at work back in 05! DH thinks I should speak to a lawyer .

So I return to the ortho surgeon on Monday and most likely will have to have surgery. After that I will begin my "quest" for some new docs.

So sorry this is so long and if you read all of it I thank you and appreciate all comments.
Risby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (01-12-2009), weegot5kiz (01-11-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM #2
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

Risby I am sorry for the perplexing situation you are in, I thought all docs have to take Medicare? What about retired patients, isn't it an automatic with medic aid and care? I am sure my questions were not the answers you are looking for, but was taken back by the fact you have to find a new doc, I think that is wrong, have you asked the docs if they cant make an exception? and or can they toss you a referral or two? Again I am sorry about whats up, wish I had an answer for you

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I thought that all drs. took medicare, but since moving to Kentucky I
found out that it is not true.
I have been looking for new drs. since the move and some that I chose
would not take me as a new patient because I have medicare,plus BS/BC.

Risby sorry to hear about your problems. If I was you I would talk to a
lawyer. They did not treat you right when you had your fall.

Hope you have better luck finding a dr. then I am having.

Jappy
Jappy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM #4
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

They also don't all have hospital privalages.

Be sure to find out. Even with your regualr Dr's. This can change and they don't always notify you.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote