advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default eye yi yie...

Hey....been away a bit. Con's been throwing up with diarehea and tummy pain for 3 weeks now. Tonight he says there's blood when he pukes.

We did this for a month and a half last time and no answers. It just stopped with the digestive enzymes.

This bought, we tried mild antacids. He threw those up. We tried the digestive enzymes and they hurt his tummy worse. They did an ultra sound of his gaul bladder and digestive area and nothing was out of place or looked ill. We are now trying promethazine and that works to control the nausia long enough to keep something down for a few hours, then his tummy hurts so we do the antacid like the doc says and he pukes.

I can't get him in to the gastro untill the 27th of December.

What else can I do for him? He lives off rice and gatoraid. He has too much pain and vomiting with anything else.

At least he's not dehydrated. And he's only lost 10 pounds.

aarrrggghhh. I am feeling a little helpless. NO ER.... no, no, no.

Suggestions? (Cabbage soup was not a good thing. Poor baby.)
Mrs. Bear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM #2
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Tonight he says there's blood when he pukes.
If you haven't taked him to the ER, have you called the doctor with this new information yet? IMO, he needs to see somebody sooner than Dec 27th. I'd put a call into the GI's office (and his regular doctor) and see if they won't see him today, and otherwise you may have to take him to the ER.

Have you ever thought of trying to get him into Mayo Clinic?

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

(((Hugs)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bear View Post
What else can I do for him? He lives off rice and gatoraid. He has too much pain and vomiting with anything else.
I don't really have any advice, but... my MIL is allergic to rice and my son has seizures from rice. I guess I'm hoping rice isn't making things worse? I realize rice is supposed to be hypoallergenic, but it isn't for everyone.

Quote:
I can't get him in to the gastro untill the 27th of December.
This is bad. I assume you're calling at least twice a week to see if there's a cancellation? Or are you already on a cancellation list?
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

How much blood...and what color? (bright, or old and clotting? There is a difference.)

Old blood needs to be seen ASAP. Bright could be from irritation from the vomiting (IE, a scraped up esophagus) Does he have any sinus drainage issues? That caould cause nausea, vomiting *and* the blood (and be nice and easy to fix, if this happened same time last year it could even be an environmental allergy exposed to his gut through postnasal drip)

What kind of blood work has been run? Pancreatitis can cause abdominal pain and vomiting, but wouldn't show up in the gall bladder.

I think I'd go on a pure liquid diet, broth and juice and maybe gelatin (not red) for a few days. Then slowly add other stuff back in. Have you considered the SCD? A lot of people on the list talk about passing blood, and vomiting blood, and using the amount and associated comfort as guidance as to whether or not the diet works. Obviously...you'd put him on the *starter* diet. No nuts/baked goods.
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Squeeky wheel got oiled. We just rolled in from the gastro and he's doing a scope tomorrow.

He went through all of the causes for symptoms but we won't know till blood work and a peek. He still isn't ruling out the gal bladder (however you spell it.) But he'll wait to do another test on it.

He did suggest other food allergies and maybe a fat absorption problem. He's kinda scratching his head over the height and weight progression on the kid though. Through the roof. He is REALLY big. Tall and big. But he's lost more weight. I think he's lost 15 pounds now.

Insurance is such a joke. sigh. They are such stupid heads.

The blood was bright red and just a little, otherwise he would have been in the ER. He says his throat is really irritated, so yeah. I am sure ya'll know what that is like. Too much acid in a place that acid is not made for.

RICE? My good gosh. That's horrible. How do they eat? What can they eat? I would be beside myself trying to figure that one out.

Cara, as usual, you are the guiding light in my gluten free life. Thank you. I hate bugging docs, but I followed your advice and now my mind will rest easier knowing I don't have to make him wait in pain for another 3 weeks. (Mayo? Heck no. I hadn't even thought about it. Hopefully I never have to consider it.)

mistofviolets: Blood work just got done, and the doc did say something about pancreatitis, so he is looking.

I wouldn't let him eat anything besides rice and bananas yesterday so he didn't ralf his little guts up, but he isn't really happy with me either.

I just keep hoping it will pass and never come back. sigh.
Mrs. Bear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
mistofviolets: Blood work just got done, and the doc did say something about pancreatitis, so he is looking.

I wouldn't let him eat anything besides rice and bananas yesterday so he didn't ralf his little guts up, but he isn't really happy with me either.

I just keep hoping it will pass and never come back. sigh.
I'd be interested to know what they run, and the results
Last year I had a massive attack of abdominal pain, and what not :P (all sorts of lovely joy) that left me a good 20 lbs lighter and feeling aged well beyond my 28 years. They found increased lipase levels, and further testing showed that my lipase levels seem to increase when my abdominal symptoms increase; but don't raise enough to be caused by pancreatitis. (In essence, though they obviously are cause or effect, they mean nothing substantial.)

I'm not wishing a mystery on you by any means, just would be nice to know I''m not the only one this happens to!

Another thought...if it *is* allergy related, this would be a good time to follow through on an elimination diet (broth etc) and slowly reintro foods. Of course he'll hate it, but, in the end...if it brings answers, I'm sure he'll thank you (eventually anyways) I'm glad you got into the dr and some action is being taken. Its hard to watch your children suffer, and then have to fight for the medical people to DO what they're supposed to. *sigh*
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I hope that the doctor can give you some answers. Definitely sounds like something going on with the stomach. Are you going to have your doctor test for H. pylori?

In the meanwhile, you might try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet intro diet. I did this when I wasn't feeling well myself. I would make a big pot of the chicken soup (recipe on the link I provided), and eat that all day long with jello. Make the jello out of unflavored gelatin flavored with unsweetened fruit juice. I think I'd stay away from the dairy for now, as well as the nuts. An elimination diet sounds good too.

Have you considered taking your son to an acupuncturist? I have a feeling that would be more beneficial than giving your son medications. My acupuncturist, who I'm working with on my food allergies, told me that antacids are about the worst thing you can take and most people do not need them.

Claire
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi MamaBear,

Sorry, I don't have any answers for ya...just want to let you know I'm sending positive thoughts/prayers your way.

Hope Con-man feels better soon!! I'm sure Con-Mom does too hehehee

Good to see you again

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you continue to use digestive enzymes you might consider also using a bicarbonate. The body's own protease enzymes produced by the pancreas need an alkaline environment to work. The antacids are not really the correct way to address this issue.

I have read that the first thing to go (stop functioning) from the pancreas is the bicarbonate function. If there isn't any bicarb production then the enzymes may not work and will possibly be wasted. Now, some supplemental enzymes will need more alkaline environment than others. Animal based enzymes need to be activated by the alkaline, but vegetable based may not need the alkaline enrinonment so much, although it probably won't hurt.

Usually one indication that the pancreas is not producing sufficient enzymes is when they test blood levels and some enzymes are elevated (like amylase and maybe lipase) and some are not elevated, meaning the pancreas may be producing too much of some to compensate for lack of the protease enzyems (usually protease is lower relative the others). You might ask about have his serum enzyme levels checked. If these enzymes are out of balance then this is considered acute pancreatitis and can be a serious problem.

One bi-arb that comes in tablet form is by Vitaline, called Alka-Aid. This is the only one I know of that comes in pill form (which may say something about how neglected bicarbonate supplements are). There are some that come in powder form that you mix in water, and then there is alka-seltzer (which contains some aspirin). I think sometimes you may wait maybe a half hour after the meal is finished to take the bicarb. Sometimes even 45 minutes after the meal depending if it is a large meal. But definitely after the meal is finished to take the bicarbonate. Enzymes should be taken during the meal (or right after the meal is finished at the latest).

The bicarb is often overlooked by most doctors. And antacids are probably over precribed for issues that may need a bicarbonate instead or something else. Antacids are for too much acid production in the stomach, which is not related to the pancreas. If there is any problem with pancreatic enzymes then the bicarbonate is needed. I would think that too much acid production is not likely the cause of vomitting and diarhea; too much acid would produce indigestion, heartburn, gerd, etc.

This website explains some signs for lack of bicarbonate function.

http://www.price-pottenger.org/Artic...d_alk_bal.html

If this problem is not resolved you might still consider trying some bicarb because of how the vomitting and diarrhea can change his acid-alkaline balance.

"Some physicians, like Dr. William Philpott, feel that insufficient secretion of
pancreatic bicarbonate is a major cause of over-acidity in the body. Other
digestive problems that affect the body’s pH are diarrhea, which results in a loss of bicarbonate, and vomiting, which results in a loss of acid."

http://www.cell-nique.com/articles/Acid-Alkaline.pdf
orthomolecular is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Keep us posted. Maybe they will broaden the search a little bit, and include looking for a few things they may not have last time. I'm really glad you were able to get in sooner.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote