Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Is this true?

I just got this in an email. I went online and read that the House of Rep is going to vote on this in two weeks.

But this statement says that it's going to be a law.

Here is what I just got in my email inbox.

"Hi, Everyone,
This year on December 31, 2009, the same law that makes it ILLEGAL in Europe to sell any herbs or supplements to anyone in a Health Food Store, A Pharmacy, or on line, will also become the law in the United States.
After December 31, 2009, no more supplements including common Vitamins and Minerals can be sold to the general public. If you need even a vitamin pill, you will have to get a prescription for it from your Doctor.
All of the creams, lotions, braces, or over the counter pain Medications that we use for our legs and feet to stop our pain will also then need a written Doctor's prescription.
Only the rich powerful Drug Companies will be licenced to manufacture any supplements. This will drive up the prices for any kind of supplement.
We are now seeing huge price increases in Prescription Drugs , and soon we will also see these increases in the price of a bottle of common aspirin, or a roll of Tums.
Who is behind this new law are some very powerful special interests:
1- The Pharmaceutical companies.
2- The pesticide producers, ( Artifical Sugars.)
3- The biotechnology companies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments anyone!!!!

Thanks.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (02-02-2009), weegot5kiz (01-30-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM #2
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

if its true....prime example of the govt sticking their nose in where it doesnt belong, plus now they are helping line the pockets of the vip's of those pharmaceutical comps. a good example of the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer, not an good economic move either

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

Last edited by weegot5kiz; 01-30-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: cause i forget to type my whole thought:Bang-Head:
weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 AM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I searched tried to read various articles -but that legal double talk scrambles my brain... and I couldn't tell what sources to believe.

Maybe MrsD would know where to look for the real info.
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh... where do I start?

I think the author of the email is stoned.

1. If the information in it is correct, when did the bill become law? And why weren't the numbers posted? (Date, Bill number i.e. HR 73).

2. Europe is a continent. With many different countries that all have their own governing bodies and laws. Trying to sum it all up as a single entity in that sentence where they tell us it's already the law 'over there' doesn't work.

3. Why did the author only single out legs and feet with a need for pain medication as an issue?

There's more, but I haven't had my coffee yet.
Relax dear Melody. Moose is on the case and will research further.

-MOOSE
Proffesional arguer and wannabe paralegal

HA!

Always outnumbered...
Never outgunned

*I* am the MonSter that MS fears
MooseasaurusRex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (01-30-2009), weegot5kiz (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to try and get people whipped up. Just because you receive it in an email doesn't mean it's true......and they know that some people will believe anything and everything they read. Until I heard it from a reliable source I trusted I would hit the delete button!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (01-30-2009), MelodyL (01-30-2009), weegot5kiz (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Moose:

Thank you. I knew the pharmaceuticals were running the country (along with the Tobacco industry), but to have to get a prescription for Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and My precious Methyl B-12., well, I already grow my food in my kitchen. I guess I'll have to give up something else to get my supplements. And if this passes, how much will the co-pay be for Methyl B-12 and the other stuff. I know that I pay less for generic meds, but are there generic supplements?

I wish I could move to another country where this is not allowed.

I'm scared to death to think of what's happening. My goodness, can they actually do this?

It boggles the mind, just thinking about it.

Let us know what you find out, okay.

AND THANK YOU!!

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I just got this in an email. I went online and read that the House of Rep is going to vote on this in two weeks.

But this statement says that it's going to be a law.

Here is what I just got in my email inbox.

"Hi, Everyone,
This year on December 31, 2009, the same law that makes it ILLEGAL in Europe to sell any herbs or supplements to anyone in a Health Food Store, A Pharmacy, or on line, will also become the law in the United States.
After December 31, 2009, no more supplements including common Vitamins and Minerals can be sold to the general public. If you need even a vitamin pill, you will have to get a prescription for it from your Doctor.
All of the creams, lotions, braces, or over the counter pain Medications that we use for our legs and feet to stop our pain will also then need a written Doctor's prescription.
Only the rich powerful Drug Companies will be licenced to manufacture any supplements. This will drive up the prices for any kind of supplement.
We are now seeing huge price increases in Prescription Drugs , and soon we will also see these increases in the price of a bottle of common aspirin, or a roll of Tums.
Who is behind this new law are some very powerful special interests:
1- The Pharmaceutical companies.
2- The pesticide producers, ( Artifical Sugars.)
3- The biotechnology companies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments anyone!!!!

Thanks.

Mel
Who sent this to you?

How is our House of Representatives, making a law for Europe? The Codex in Europe only limits doses of various vitamins and minerals...does NOT remove them from sale.
Look carefully at that date--- 2009?
Not Dec 31 2008?

Do not click on any link that might be in that email!

I hardly think aspirin or Tums will become unavailable or unaffordable.

There is a movement within the FDA to restrict some ingredients that are finding their way into "supplements"...things like androgens, and RX drugs.

This new law was enacted in 2007:
http://www.stoel.com/showalert.aspx?Show=2536

There are always rumors about Codex (Europe) coming to USA...but since 2005...we have not seen that.

The email you posted is a scare mail...it must be connected to a link and/or spam. It is very poorly written.

I'll see if I can find the bill....if not...we wait.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (01-30-2009), Jomar (01-30-2009), judymoody (01-30-2009), MelodyL (01-30-2009), weegot5kiz (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 09:00 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb New bill about FDA and Medical devices:

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cf...dcn=todaysnews

In the recent past months, it was discovered that medical devices implanted into people were not evaluated carefully.
We are talking pacemakers, heart valves, etc.
The FDA is going to get some revamping from the Obama administration and the new Congress. But I do not see the end of the world coming to OTC nutrients/supplements.
I DO see oversight into careful manufacturing and marketing, for consumer safety.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (01-30-2009), Jomar (01-30-2009), SandyC (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cf...dcn=todaysnews

In the recent past months, it was discovered that medical devices implanted into people were not evaluated carefully.
We are talking pacemakers, heart valves, etc.
The FDA is going to get some revamping from the Obama administration and the new Congress. But I do not see the end of the world coming to OTC nutrients/supplements.
I DO see oversight into careful manufacturing and marketing, for consumer safety.
Thank you MRS. D. You rock.

I know we can't know for sure what the laws will be, etc. etc.

But I was about ready to go and load up on my fish oil and Methyl B. I imagined myself ordering all sorts of things (with LONG exiration dates), online. This was in an email that was forwarded to me.

The person who sent the email had nothing to do with it. He was just passing it along. I don't think he believes it either.

But I do know that if I hear ANYTHING that remotely affects all of us, I am always going to post it here because I know that either you or Moose or SOMEONE always knows what is right around the corner and this can be enlightening.

I did do a search online, but all I learned was about Codex and that the House is meeting in two weeks to discuss SOMETHING that relates to FDA approval of all vitamins and minerals.

this is one of those things that I guess you have to read between the lines and not take every single word literally.

I thank you very very much.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM #10
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Often those FWD'd emails that are generic and not a personal message to you from a friend are made up by spammers.

they make some story or prayers or political thing and usually say "pass this on" or make it a controversial subject so people will fwd it to friends /family...

then when everyone passes it around they can "harvest" the email addresses that most people do not remove at the top of the message.

Remember to delete any names or email addresses at the top of any forwarded messages before you send them.

Why make it easy for the bad guys???
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (01-30-2009)