The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 04:01 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Weekend projects anyone?

It's that time of year. Dh is making use of his time off. He'd been so busy when he was working we didn't do much to the house in the last few years.

We started with the kitchen - a paint job, new ceiling, light, and range hood.

Dug an old wardrobe out of the attic, and he's making shelves for it. We need to paint it to match, then we have extra storage.

Next, the bathroom. He already installed a fan/light. I think we may go for the whole tamale this time - tub sink, etc.

Anybody else?
ali12 (03-17-2009)

advertisement
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey girl!! Send him over here!!

My DH is a wonderful person but NOT a handyman at all! Anytime he tries to "fix" something we end up paying someone else to fix it plus repair the damage he did in trying to "fix" it!

Now I just tell him; you are retired now so you shouldn't have to do that; lets help out some poor guy trying to support a family!!

Brain damaged and I have MRI's to prove it!!
AZjanie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (03-18-2009)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Any of those things you mentioned for a weekend project my DH would attempt it for a full year then give up and hire some one to finish it, which means undo it and do it right.
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (03-17-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I LOVE my husband. he is amazing, but...he too thinks he can fix things. I am the handiman in this house, and he is frustrated by that. I can rip out a toilet, and replace it. He has to study the instruction sheet for 2 days, and make 6 phone calls to be sure he is doing it right. If he would just get out of the way, it would go alot faster, but he feels since he is the guy of the house, it needs to be him with rolled up sleeves. God Bless him, he tries. My projects take me 3 times as long. He is a great provider, and the garden is where he shines! He can grow tomatoes the size of a baby's head. IN house repairs are best left to the women of this family.

Since the house is on the market in 2 weeks, I have painted, cleared, boxed, and fixed all that needed fixing. Im pooped! you know the new house we end up in will have all kinds of crazy things that need to be fixed..

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (03-17-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

My Dad isn't any good at doing anything in the house either. If anything needs to be done, it is always left to my mum to do. My dad will attempt to try and do something but it will always go wrong so my mum is forever telling him to just leave it and that she will sort it out when she gets chance!!!

My mum has just decorated all of the kitchen and ripped all of the cupboards out and re-fitted them etc. We got the builders in to do most of the work such as the plastering and tiling as no one in our family really knows how to do that but my mum did all of the painting and decorating.

We have just had an addition added to our house. The local council here and my social workers decided that I needed something downstairs so that I could live on all one level if I ever had to. I find it really difficult to cope with going up the stairs so they decided to fit a full, downstairs bathroom for us. It is looking really nice now and is suitable as I can get my wheelchair in and out but it was a nightmare trying to get it built and nearly everything went wrong!! The extension was only supposed to take 6 weeks to build but it took a lot longer as the builders accidently dug through the water pipes and flooded the entire street!!!! The Extension got finished just before Christmas and my mum had her new kitchen so thankfully, we could eat our Christmas dinner in there!!

The bathroom has only just got finished as it hard for my mum to decorate now with having to work full time, take me to school and hospital appointments etc. It is looking really nice and fresh though - it is currently painted cream with some nice tiles around the bath tub and sink.

My mum and dad have also just finished laying some laminate flooring in the hallway and dining room. We had carpet before and our old dog had a cancerous tumour on his nose that used to bleed a lot so blood would always go all over the floor and it made a mess and started to smell so we decided to rip it all out entirely. It is looking a lot better now and seems to have made the rooms look so much bigger as before they were quite dark!

My mum plans to do her and my dads bedroom next. They started it ages ago but it hasn't been finished yet. It still needs to be painted but they have put the wardrobes and cupboards in so at least they have somewhere to hang all of their clothes now!!

My dad is also busy doing the garden. When they did the extension, the builders had to dig out so it created a huge mess!! My dad has laid all of the grass but it went wrong at first so it took him ages to do and my mum is also now busy laying a border and is going to plant some flowers when we are able to!! It was a bit of a nightmare as there wasn't any fence in the back garden other than seperating ours and our neighbours so our dog, Jack used to always be running off!! One of my dads friends has come and put a fence on though so it is looking better and we don't have to worry about Jack running away anymore!!

Good Luck with all of your projects, Brain - I hope they go well for you and i'm sure your house will look beautiful!!
AZjanie (03-17-2009), Twinkletoes (03-23-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Already did all that the past four years. lol My weekend project is to do yard cleaning and garage purging. I always love it at first and then dread it later on in the summer heat. haha

Have fun BGB!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My weekend projects are to knit and crochet whatever I feel like making. (I knit and crochet all the time now, so I basically have a weekend project to do every day)

I managed to get my dad back into knitting. (he learned in the Air Force in Alaska back in the early to mid 60's. He ran out of comic books) and he's been working on afghans for my mom, me, my sister and my sister's kids all winter.

He's finished mine, my sister's, and he finished on for my mom, but she didnt like it, so he's doing a different one for her. (she picked out the yarn for the new one) So, he's got a few more afghans to finish. Good thing he knits faster than I do, and I think he knits faster than I crochet (which is pretty fast) He's finished more projects in the last 3 months than I have in the last year.

I'm going to teach him to crochet pretty soon...and maybe how to read a crochet pattern.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (03-18-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

My DH was not a jack of all trades or a handyman of any sort..LOL!

I am in the middle of have my bathroom remodled and the orkers are great in every way. I am so glad to have found them.

hey did my garage WC ramp....Now the bath....next....The kitchen..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 PM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The first thing my DH wants to do when he opens a box is to put aside the instructions! He thinks they are useless, no one can understand them. So we do it together, me the brains them him coming along behind me to give the braun.
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Erin - I hear you. I'm in the middle of 3 crochet projects right now. Cool that your dad knits. My mom does, and she's tried to teach me, but crochet is a lot faster.

Yeah, I can say that for my dh - he can take anything apart and fix it. We put up garage doors, an entire fence, and built a shed. Not to mention 20 yrs of plumbing, appliances, and 200 gallons of paint.

My next house will not be a fixer upper lol.