Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default CWP (chocoholics with parkinson's)

Not that we ever needed an excuse to have another bite. But it seems like there is some scientific data encouraging us to munch more chocolate. My personal fav is Rapunzel's -- all organic from Switzerland.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en..._uids=19277767

and from the ******* website:

CHOCOLATE CONSUMPTION INCREASED IN PARKINSON'S DISEASE

Journal of Neurology [2009] Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print] (Wolz M, Kaminsky A, Löhle M, Koch R, Storch A, Reichmann H.) Complete abstract

There is an increased consumption of chocolate in people with Parkinson's Disease. Consumption of non-chocolate sweets was no different from the consumption of other people. The increase in chocolate consumption was not related to the level of depression. Chocolate contains high contents of biogenic amines. Biogenic amines include substances that the brain produces in order to regulate or stimulate brain function. For more information go to Biogenic amines. Chocolate also contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are adenosine antagonists. Adenosine antagonists make L-dopa and dopamine more active. For more information go to Adenosine antagonists. So it seems that some people with Parkinson's Disease are unconsciously using chocolate to increase their dopamine activity. Due to its chemistry, and people claiming it has reduced their symptoms, researchers have recently suggested that the effect of chocolate be assessed therapeutically in Parkinson's Disease. Istradefylline, another adenosine antagonist, has already been shown to have effect in Parkinson's Disease. For more information go to the Complete abstract.
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Chocolate

Very interesting aquerio, I have always been a chocoholic. I am conciously eating more now in an attempt to put weight on, but I stay stubbornly at 126 pounds. I have a bar of chocolate and a Mars bar every night.
Interesting too about isradellefine, which I think is an antihypertensive drug. Several high blood pressure drugs have been shown to be beneficial in PD.
Ron