Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tooth And/Or Ear Infection and Dyskinesia

Has anyone any thoughts or experienced this.
I have either a tooth or ear infection ( both throb) and when I take my meds they either kick in for a very short time (1/2 hr or so) or not at all but I become dyskinetic. So I am either "on" for a very short time or dyskinetic all day. Have not taken my first dose of meds yet today so am just trembly as is normal for me when I wake up. I take requip and sinemet. I am normally troubled by dyskinesia but not too this degree. For the pain I am taking ibupropin. Whether it is tooth or ear will be determined by my dentist and Dr.

Thank you for any input,
Sunflower

Last edited by sunflower4u; 03-21-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
sunflower4u is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Infections

Infections can really potentiate symptoms. Ron Hutton will probably see this and respond, but if he misses it look back at his experience with a bad tooth about six months ago. People don't usually realize it, but the toxins involved mess with us, but also the chemicals from our immune response are themselves neuroactive and further complicate things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower4u View Post
Has anyone any thoughts or experienced this.
I have either a tooth or ear infection ( both throb) and when I take my meds they either kick in for a very short time (1/2 hr or os) or not at all but I become dyskinetic. So I am either "on" for a very short time or dyskinetic all day. Have not taken my first dose of meds yet today so am just trembly as is normal for me when I wake up. I take requip and sinemet. I am normally troubled by dyskinesia but not too this degree. For the pain I am taking ibupropin. Whether it is tooth or ear will be determined by my dentist and Dr.

Thank you for any input,
Sunflower
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Infections

Hi Sunflower,
Yes, infections play havoc with our symptoms. As Rick said, I had a bad gum and tooth infection last year, and my meds would not work, and I was near paralysed. I got rid of the gum infection by using a TCP mouthwash, and had the tooth extracted, and everything returned to normal. I take a spoon of Manuka honey daily now which kills infections.
One thing puzzles me about your case, I only get dyskinesia when I am "on", at the peak of my dose. You say you are either on, or dyskinetic, implying that you are dyskinetic when you are "off". Have I misinterpreted what you mean?
Ron
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dyskinesia

Thanks Rick and Ron for your relpies.

I have end of dose dyskinesia that seems to last until the next dose except for the last dose of the day. The sinemet works less and less time. Right now it hardly works at all. Just seems to turn into dyskinesia. I only take 3 1/2 sinemet a day. Have tired agonists and can not tolerate them. Also amantadine but it does not make a difference.

Ear/Tooth problem not yet resolved. Dentist tomorrow, Dr on Tues.

Thx,
Sunflower
sunflower4u is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Dyskinesia

Hi Sunflower,
Sorry but I am still not clear about whether you are saying you get dyskinesia when you are "off". You seem to imply this,
In your first post, you say you are either on, or dyskinetic, implying that you are dyskinetic when you are "off"
In your last post, you say Sinemet hardly works at all, (Therefore off?)
it just seems to turn into dyskinesia.
When I am dyskinetic, I am on, and can walk quite fast, but when I am off, I have problems walking, and never have dyskinesia when off.
Ron
Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default let me add my .02 cents worth

there are two types of dyskinesia's peak dosage and end of dosage.
The peak is when you are temporarily overdosed with Sinemet and have the resultant dyskinesias.

The end of dosage type is just what its name implies. I have never heard a satifactory explanation for it. It, IMHO, is the worst of the two types. IT sounds like SUnflower is talking about end of dosage. Y ou can have both types at the same time, they are just timed differernt. My peak dosage Dyskinesia started abourt 45 min after I took my SInemet and lasted about a half hour. my end of dosage started about an hour and 45 after my peak dose quit and lasted an hour or so until I either took morer Sinemet or shut down for the night.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 AM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Dyskinesia

Thanks Charlie, I had not heard of 2 types of Dyskinesia, mine starts about peak dose and continues for as long as my sinemet lasts. However, we still have not addressed the question of can you have dyskinesia when you are "off"? (ie not under the influence of sinemet.) From what you say,
"my end of dosage started about an hour and 45 after my peak dose quit and lasted an hour or so ",
it sounds as though you are on while suffering dyskinesia, which stops when your sinemet is depleted.
Ron