Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Restrictions on mailing samples to 23 and Me from NYS and Maryland

I wrote to 23 and Me help to clarify the restrictions on mailing samples in New York State and in Maryland. Here is their reply:

""23andMe is currently unable to process saliva samples collected in or mailed from the state of New York. The New York Department of Health considers our Personal Genome Service a test requiring a lab license and direct physician involvement.

If you or the recipient of the Spit Kit intend to collect your sample and mail it from outside the state of New York, please select the "Ship to New York" button below. Upon receipt of your Spit Kit, you or the Spit Kit recipient will be required to affirm under penalty of law that the sample for the Spit Kit has not been collected in or mailed from the state of New York.

If you choose to continue with the order then a kit is mailed to a New York address. At the time of registering the kit with its claim code, a kit from such an order requires a consent to the effect that the user has collected and shipped the sample from outside of the NY state. New Jersey is fine to collect and ship the sample from."

from Maryland:

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:19:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

We currently do not ship our kits to any Maryland address.We recently received a cease and desist letter from the Maryland Department of Health regarding our compliance with clinical laboratory testing statutes in place in Maryland. We respect the state's attention to this matter and believe that our interests are aligned; we share the intention of ensuring that the personal genomics industry provides services that are accurate and reliable. As we've done in California, we hope to work with your state officials in demonstrating our commitment to the responsible delivery of important genetic information to our customers. Unfortunately, however, we can't provide a timeline as to when our services will be available in Maryland. We'll provide further updates on our website when we have more information.

We remain committed to the idea that it's your fundamental right to have access to your genetic information. We hope to make our services available to the residents of Maryland again very soon."

Questions: contact: help@23andme.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (03-30-2009)

advertisement
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM #2
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default A Better Place to be Tested

Early-Onset Parkinsonism Evaluation #550

Type of Disorder: Movement Disorders

Click here for information on the Complete Parkinsonism Evaluation, #555.

Order detail from:
http://www.athenadiagnostics.com/con...etail/q/id/272

Vicky (This test will be paid for by Medicare)

Last edited by Curious; 03-30-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: RE Guidelines : Copyright
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default beware

A neuro we went to (once) ordered this test for us from Athena, said it needed to be done because "it affects how you respond to the meds", and this test tested for only ONE gene (why, we have no idea) and they billed US $2,500.00. Yes, the decimals are in the correct place. To top it off, the insurance company has balked at paying this. Be sure you know what the charges are up front, and what all they will test for. I personally think charging twenty-five hundred dollars for ONE gene test is absurd, but that' s just me.

Last edited by lurkingforacure; 03-30-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarification
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM #4
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=lurkingforacure;488799]A neuro we went to (once) ordered this test for us from Athena, said it needed to be done because "it affects how you respond to the meds", and this test tested for only ONE gene (why, we have no idea) and they billed US $2,500.00. Yes, the decimals are in the correct place. To top it off, the insurance company has balked at paying this. Be sure you know what the charges are up front, and what all they will test for. I personally think charging twenty-five hundred dollars for ONE gene test is absurd, but that' s just me.[/QUO

I am not sure how long ago you requested the test, but more genectic test are now available it you would go to the site and review the list. The tests offered there are legal in all states and my insurance company felt it was important enough to pay for.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote