Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Understanding MRI of Lumber spine

I am a 43 year old female with severe back pain raidiating down left leg. recently had MRI results as follows:

At L4-5 there is somd disiccation of the disk as well as diffuse disk bulge and facet hypertrophy

At L5-S1, there is desicciation of disk. There is broad central disk herniation slightly more prominent left of midline displacing the left S1 root dorsally. There is also some facet and ligamentous overgrowth at this level.

Can anyone explain these results?
rhontim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't tell you what all of the details mean since I am not a doctor and my own MRI data was a bit different from yours, but I would recommend you seek treatment immediately. Your herniated disc may be pressing up against nerves, hence the shooting pain down your leg-or your muscles may be tightening and nerves shutting down to protect the injured area- that's what happened to me; the disc did not push into the nerve, I don't think, but my nearby muscles tightened up and shut down-shooting pain from my lower back/hip down my leg. Felt like someone was jamming a needle into my hip socket. People will dispute where to go... I started with physical therapy with success for a time, and then stopped for about 3 weeks to see a neuro chiropractor. Then I started pt again with each pt and chiro's blessing, and I now see both, alternating days, four days a week. I also tried non invasive spinal decompression which was expensive and had painful after effects. I get massages when I can afford, and am doing pt approved exercises to strengthen my core, which should be helping to support and strengthen my back as well. Depending on the size of the disc herniation and position, your dr may recommend surgery or injections (epidural, etc)- for me, that will be my last option if nothing else works, but for some people, that is their only option if they want to avoid permanent damage. I speak pretty highly of my neuro chiropractor as he has made great progress with me (without adjusting my back like other traditional chiros do), and I have a great pt who is not willing to give up on me- I also have a fantastic masseur who has been giving me massages since a year after my car accident in 2001 when this all started.
Be a noisy advocate for yourself, and check out lots of doctors, etc. You know what makes your back feel better, so check out some different treatments until you find what works. And please rest. That will do so much good for you in the midst of being treated
Good luck!
Jennifer
QUOTE=rhontim;501080]I am a 43 year old female with severe back pain raidiating down left leg. recently had MRI results as follows:

At L4-5 there is somd disiccation of the disk as well as diffuse disk bulge and facet hypertrophy

At L5-S1, there is desicciation of disk. There is broad central disk herniation slightly more prominent left of midline displacing the left S1 root dorsally. There is also some facet and ligamentous overgrowth at this level.

Can anyone explain these results?[/QUOTE]
jenniferowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote