Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused fusion quandry L3-S1

Hi,
I'm wondering if I should have a 3 level lumbar fusion if I have acute back pain and not much leg pain. I have advanced DDD on L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 and my doctor wants to do the fusion but I'm not convinced and I'm very concerned about permanent post op leg pain. Any advice?

Thanks,
Bill
bbuhlman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Every case is different. I had my 5th lumbar surgery last year in October. I have problems I was born with...Spina Bifida. My first surgery was to fix a disc and then I did have a fusion L5 to S1. I will say that my fourth surgery where they fused a level higher, I wasn't very happy with the outcome. However my last surgery I have seen great things happening and I do know that I have years of healing to look forward to. Most of my leg pain is gone. I do have limitations. My sweetheart...known here as the Olhipie at times has to help me with socks and shoes. He loves to feel needed so I let him help. I am fused from my L2 to S1. I have six lumbar so the doc...Not to confuse himself in his notes...he calls my sixth one L0...silly I know.

I do feel a lot better than I did before my last surgery. Has your doc done any injections where the problems are to see if there will be pain relief?
My doc did this to see how much it would help to have the surgery. I got much relief from the pain so this was very encouraging.

Do you feel you should get a second opinion? If you trust your doc that makes a whole world of difference. I trusted my doc the minute I met him. He knew I would need the surgery but still tried to give me pain relief without having the surgery. He gave me five months to think about it...I was in so much pain and finally scheduled the surgery. I have no regrets...

Sorry I went on and on. If you have any questions or just want to talk feel free to PM me...take care and know that prayers are being said in your behalf...

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default still confused

Thanks Tamiloo,
I have had 6 LESI's over the past two years but I was still trying to ride my bike 100 miles a week (they did help quite a bit). Middle of last year I quit riding it was just too painful and I wasn't recovering. I had a major flare up about a month ago and wasn't walking for 3 days and now I have more leg pain and numbness than I've ever had. When I lie on my back for any length of time the top of my left foot goes numb and I can't pull up my foot....I am getting a second opinion from another Ortho in the area but it being a WC claim things don't move too fast. I am not sure I trust my doctor, at first probably two years ago he said "You'll never need surgery". Last year he said "I can do what ever you want, 3 level ADR, whatever..". Just recently he says, "you need a three level fusion". He's supposed to be a highly respected orthopedic but my condition hasn't changed that much but his recommendations sure have.

Right now I'm a bit better, I haven't had any major BP in a couple days its just the nueropathy thats bothering me. Doc wants me to get a discogram and up until about a week ago I thought I would get it but now since I am doing a bit better I might wait. Have you heard of "conscious sedation discogram?"

Again, thanks for your reply and your prayers. "We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us"

Bill
bbuhlman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Bill, I don't really know what a "conscious sedation discogram" is. could you explain more?

I hope you can keep your pain at bay for a while. What were you doing to cause the injury?

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote