Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Complex Thinking

At what point does one need to consider the possibility of the beginnings of dementia?

Is it the lose of complex thinking?
Is it the lose of the ability to grasp thoughts to speak on the spot?
Is it both?

Where does it begin?
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller

Last edited by Stitcher; 07-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

double post
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller

Last edited by Stitcher; 07-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book I can only say

This is too close for comfort for me. Dad has Alzheimer's. I have PD.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think dementia is when you lose touch with reality. I have, as many of us do, short term memory problems. I forget peoples names etc.
The good news is rereading a book is like reading it for the first time!!
DO I think I am in the early stages of dementia? Absolutely not! nor are CArolyn and Jean.
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dementia

Dementia is defined as the "loss of multiple acquired cognitive and emotional abilities sufficient to interfere with daily activities". More than 50 diseases produce dementia (Alzheimer's account for 70%, prevalence in PD is 20 - 30%).
Dementia varies in its specific presentation depending on which particular abilities are compromised. Disabilities can occur in memory, language, spatial perception, cognition, attention, high-level motor control, emotion, and motivation. The key is how it adversely affects daily functioning.
In PD it's often difficult to tell because of the possibility of co-morbid Alzheimer's (both increase with age) and the cognitive effect of anti-parkinsonian treatment.
Difficult condition...
Soania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Charlie, I am like you about books. I can read them, but a month later if asked about a book I read...nothing...not even the plot. I can read instruction or the printed directions to a location, but I have to read and re-read them over and over again and still I don't get it! Nothing sticks in my head!

Soania, I know the definition, but thanks for the reminder. And welcome to the board.

Sometimes I think it is just the mental health meds I take (..100mg Nortriptyline and 200mg of generic Lamictal,) but sometimes I become extremely concerned about the slow approach of dementia...and there are several kinds.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book books...

Stitcher, I've always been that way about books. My hubby remembers books he read 40 years ago!! I can't remember last week.

But having said that, I find reading books is harder for me now. But I am REALLY enjoying books on tape.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Stitcher, sorry didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the definition of dementia. Just my contribution. Misunderstood the question posed at the beginning of the thread.
Soania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thank you Soania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soania View Post
Stitcher, sorry didn't mean to imply that you didn't know the definition of dementia. Just my contribution. Misunderstood the question posed at the beginning of the thread.
Dear Soania,

The definition you so kindly provided was new to me (and possibly to others) and helpful as I try to sort out cognitive changes due to PD, age, side-effects or other causes. Your apology, while gracious, was unnecessary.

A handful of contributors to this site are impressively well-educated about PD and generous with their knowledge. Many other contributors and readers (especially the newly diagnosed) visit knowing full well that they may learn something new from any and every post.

We're the ones who don't post often but are extremely grateful to those who do. Remember, today's Junior Members may--if so inspired--become tomorrow's Senior Members.

I enjoy your posts...keep 'em coming!

Rose

Last edited by rose of his heart; 07-23-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: further thought
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 AM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Ditto on Rose, Sonia. All of us start out lurking. Then a lot of us tentatively post. Becoming bolder, we become part of the community. A few of us don't shut up.

Online communities are an odd combination of the old and new. The new is obvious. The old, however, is similar to societies that ensured continuity by oral history. If you look back at even our short archive you will find names that were once common that are no more. They made a contribution and then faded away "into the West" (any Tolkien fans?). Someday I will do the same. If we are lucky, you will too. Welcome. -Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose of his heart View Post
Dear Soania,

The definition you so kindly provided was new to me and helpful as I try to sort out cognitive changes due to PD, age, side-effects or other causes.

Please know that, while a handful of contributors here are impressively well-educated about PD, many readers (especially the newly diagnosed) visit this site daily to humbly learn new things.

We're the ones who don't post often but are extremely grateful to those who do. Remember, today's Junior Members may if so inspired become tomorrow's Senior Members.

Your apology--while gracious--was unnecessary. I enjoy your posts...keep 'em coming!

Rose
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote