Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Don't let your lab price-gouge you

Post removed by Rose due to contemplation of potential unforeseen negative impacts...kindly disregard.

Last edited by rose of his heart; 08-02-2009 at 01:04 AM.
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (08-01-2009)

advertisement
Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default terminology turn over; faster than .....thinking............paripatetic?

I's all in the name for, at least awhile isn't it? I can remember a time when I never suspected anybody in the medical community of anything business-based.

Now, thanks to word wizards and computers, and our "modified money scruples" groups are everywhere and always prowling around . You have to look real hard at what you yourself can trust.

i say you have a reason to dig down on your issue. [an old term , I think]

i would like to hear the continuation of your story. I have one about my grandson that might have the same line of problem. But I hope others post on - this . Save it. new way of lying. New terminology means never having to say , "it tanked, my partner just got cleared of the fine print, or anything at all."

maybe we could have a fun thread? word wizardry...for fun and let's keep the good ones. add a few of our own new terminology.

back to rose 's topic sorry.
paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM #3
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Dear Rose

I am sorry for your bad experience in your Parkin gene test. The humor and sarcasm were hard to miss. Please consider the following points:
  1. The lab I listed in my previous post is the only lab that will perform a genetic test for Parkin gene mutations. This would explain the high price for the test.
  2. Your doctor would not have recommended the test if he did not feel your family history increased your chance for having a mutation.
  3. The test results are revealed to you and your doctor alone. The results of the test can enable you to make more educated choices about your treatment decisions.
  4. Choosing to have your genetic test done as part of a research project will not reveal your results to you.

My experience was much more professional than your. I contacted the Lab and downloaded the sheet which explained, in detail, what the test involved, what the procedure entailed, and the cost. I presented this to my Insurance company before having the test to ensure no problems in coverage. The sheet I downloaded also required my doctor's signature before I could have the test.

My bloodtest was performed at my primary care clinic on the day stated on the form and sent to the lab via my clinic lab according to the directions on the form I downloaded.

A week later I received an eight page letter explaining the results, as well as my clinic providing me one on one genetic counseling as to what the results would mean for the rest of my family.

Again, I am sorry for your bad experience. The knowledge of what my genetics are has helped me to make better decisions regarding my treatment.
Your post, as entertaining as it is, makes me sad to think that many who read it may decide not to have a genetic test which could be helpful to them out of fear that your one experience is the treatment all can expect by professional labs.
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart thank you Vicky

I am so relieved that your experience with the lab went more smoothly than mine, and I sincerely hope that it is the norm.

Your list of the conscientious steps you and your doctor took is a good model for others to follow. Had I read it a few months ago, May would have been much merrier.

Thank you so much for offering a different perspective.

Peace to you too,
Rose
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Price-gouging to post-deleting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose of his heart View Post
Post removed by Rose due to contemplation of potential unforeseen negative impacts...kindly disregard.
Hello,

As a fellow new member of Neuro Talk, I fully understand the desire not to offend with our words. However, I also fully recognize a need to learn the full range of individual experiences any one of us may have with an organization, medical professional, or lab. As I recently wrote to Rose: I think your underlying message is an important one and one that is quite welcome, if we are to inclined to believe Meyers-Briggs, by the many idealists in the forum. We need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly (cue Ennio Morricone soundtrack here) in order to make fully informed decisions.

I understand that Rose may have had entirely different reasons for editing or deleting her post, but I just feel strongly that we should acknowledge, or even welcome, different experiences. Obviously, Vicky experienced quite a different outcome, and I appreciate her background information, on this type of testing. Imagine if we decided to use this lab for genetic testing (this is something I have been considering) based only on that one experience? I would have no inkling that there may be serious financial repercussions in doing so, and worse, unaware, I may have opened the door to yet another insidious source of stress in my life. I think we all know what stress does. Edit if you must, but please don't altogether delete valuable posts!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote