Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Whole healthy mouse created from mice skin cells

Wow, they have created a whole healthy mouse (a couple, actually) from mere mouse skin cells, and without using those cancer-causing genes to program the adult cell back to embryonic state! This is a feat....I think this science will move really fast now because of the implications for so many diseases, woo-hoo! Here's the link:

http://www.star-telegram.com/health/story/1520235.html

Also, in Jsapan, they created a functioning mouse tooth, it implanted, can feel pain, chew, the whole "bit" (lol). This science is really moving, it is so encouraging.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

They used Fetal skin cells. So, I suppose one day they can dissect out skin from an embryo without killing it, which may be morally acceptable to more people. I wonder how old the fetal mouse was.

There are only three colors, 10 digits, and seven notes; it's what we do with them that's important.
~John Rohn
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default but .. big but

"According to Gerard McGill, a medical ethicist at Duquesne University’s Center for Healthcare Ethics, this means the ability to treat diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, hearing loss, or spinal cord damage with a patient’s own cells is within reach.

"It proves that reprogrammed cells are equivalent to embryonic stem cells," McGill said. "Treatments are at least 15 or 20 years away, but they are reasonable.""
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default they always say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
"According to Gerard McGill, a medical ethicist at Duquesne University’s Center for Healthcare Ethics, this means the ability to treat diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, hearing loss, or spinal cord damage with a patient’s own cells is within reach.

"It proves that reprogrammed cells are equivalent to embryonic stem cells," McGill said. "Treatments are at least 15 or 20 years away, but they are reasonable.""
I know, I read it too, but I really don't think this is that far away. Mainly because I think, as a layman of course, that this science will move very, very fast because of the implications, financial being the main one. Any government that could practically eliminate cost of care for diabetes, Alz,and PD (predominantly related to us boomers, who are numerous and approaching retirement as well as the age at which many of the diseases mentioned might appear) will be doing everything they can to spur this along. And of course, it may have the added bonus of putting some folks back into the taxpaying workforce (a double bonus for a government).

And everyone else will be pushing and supporting as well, because they either have the condition themselves, have a loved one with it, are afraid of getting it themselves, or simply because they are compassionate and want to end the suffering. At least, that's what I am hoping.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 AM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Incredible. If they don't jump on this, I'd like to know why.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up i hope too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
I know, I read it too, but I really don't think this is that far away. Mainly because I think, as a layman of course, that this science will move very, very fast because of the implications, financial being the main one. Any government that could practically eliminate cost of care for diabetes, Alz,and PD (predominantly related to us boomers, who are numerous and approaching retirement as well as the age at which many of the diseases mentioned might appear) will be doing everything they can to spur this along. And of course, it may have the added bonus of putting some folks back into the taxpaying workforce (a double bonus for a government).

And everyone else will be pushing and supporting as well, because they either have the condition themselves, have a loved one with it, are afraid of getting it themselves, or simply because they are compassionate and want to end the suffering. At least, that's what I am hoping.
Hope is the best medication available !
Imad
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote