advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 12:43 AM #1
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default OT- my mom

First, I want to say I am sorry to hear about your son's finger MrsD! Sounds awful! It reminds me of when I caught J's fingers in the electric beaters...ouch!... but thankfully, no finger tips were lost...we just needed lots of bandaids .

I was going to add the following after MrsD's post on the other thread, but I didn't want to turn the Merry Christmas thread into a total downer...so I thought I'd post separately.

My mom ended up in ICU at 4am on Christmas morning needing 4 units of blood after a night of vomiting blood / bloody diarrhea. She is still in the hospital today, stable, but we don't really know the extent of what is all wrong.

We had just been visiting with her at my sister's log home very near to where my parents live, and had seen them on Saturday night and Sunday. She was weak on Saturday and very ill on Sunday (bedridden)... although the vomiting didn't begin until very late..after we had already left for back home. So, this immediate crisis was unrelated to any of her past history, but caused by a tear to the stomach being pushed into her esophagus which occured while she was vomiting.

She had also been sick a couple of weeks back with diarrhea/vomiting, and we suspect a smaller tear may have occured then because the doctor felt the amount of blood lost and a huge clot in her stomach could not be explained by this single event. But, also as of a last week routine doctor/lab report, her liver enzymes are again elevated and she was anemic, which means either the liver cancer has returned, or she has been drinking again . So, none of this is good, and perhaps her cancer has spread elsewhere. All to be determined yet.

But, we did manage to have a nice fun visit with my sister's family before my mom's latest crisis, and my own family had a pleasant Christmas despite the bad news about my mom and other stresses that seem to be surrounding me. So, I am hanging in there, but feel like I haven't been myself for months... I'm hoping the New Year brings a new outlook for me~

My hubby is off work most of the week, so hopefully we can sneak some fun into our plans....although after Christmas, who has the $$ to do anything! We are watching lots of movies, and playing with our toys! I had my first stint with my daughters Guitar Hero video game last night, and we are still dancing to DDR...lol. That is always good for a laugh! Trying to keep smiling~

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-27-2006, 02:45 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

OMGosh Cara,

I am sorry to hear that. I been wondering how she's been doing. I hope they figure out and fix the immediate problem.

In either case, the elevated enzymes don't sound like good news.

Will be keeping you and family in my prayers. Let's hope 2007 will start out better than 2006 has ended for Cara Household.

We aren't having the best of luck either - our appliances are a failing. The door on microwave is broken, plus it's not heating like it should. Tonight the clothes dryer gave up [I think it needs a motor transplant]. Luckly these things are just that...things and not real problems in the grand scheme.

So...how did you do at Guitar Hero? Are we going to be seeing you on MTV or VH1 soon? hehehee

MrsD - Hope DS got to the Urgent care and got things squared away!! Sorry to hear that. It's no fun being in the ER over a holiday. Been there done that...

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa

Last edited by aklap; 12-27-2006 at 03:01 AM.
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's always hard to have bad things happen at holiday times, but it seems that is the time they do.

I think I mentioned my vacation to Michigan at the beginning of December, which didn't happen at that time because of my health. Probably due to my poor eating habits, my chemical imbalance came back and the panic attacks were worse than ever, so I was put on Celexa. On the 16th I decided I had to try to make this trip, if you know me, you know I felt I was disappointing everyone else. The trip there was pretty uneventful except for the fact that I could not find a decent cup of coffee once I left the island. Then the fun all began, my family has a knack for stressing me out. I had a nasty panic episode on Wednesday afternoon and evening, then again on Thurs morning as I was preparing to leave for home and anyone who has had panic knows it exhaust your whole body, so the 12 hour drive turned into 18 hours!

On the way home we received a phone call that my youngest grandchild was in the hospital (over 1/2 way home, too far to turn around), the grandchild I was not allowed to meet. He is only 2 months old today, he was admitted because he was vomiting blood, which turned out to be a protein problem, which they have given him protein efficiency meds for, then he was admitted again Friday night with a croupy cough. This they could not decide whether it was RSV or whooping cough. Tests came back negative for both, yet they found that he also needs meds for gas problems and that he has sleep apnea and was finally sent home on Christmas day with a monitor. The mother and my son are not together and I personally do not feel she is able to take care of this baby.

I am very happy to be home, although my sweetheart here is having a major knee problem right now and was hardly able to walk on Christmas eve day. He had some major testing done yesterday.

So, tis the season to be jolly and we all must try to see the bright side of things. Lets ring in a New Year of good health for all!!!!!!!!!!!!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh man, so sorry about your Mom, Cara. My own mother is slowly, gradually failing. It is so up and down with her. I spent a good two months in tears when it first looked like she wasn't going to be with us much longer. Anyway, I know how difficult it is and I wish you all the best.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Nancy, Al and Deb.

Al, you are right that failing appliances are on a little bit different plane, but a giant pain in the butt nonetheless . Right up there with car problems! We just pre-empted a dishwasher failure and got a new one before the old completely failed... a spiffy new quiet Bosch, and it really is quiet .

Deb, I am so sorry to hear you have not been well yourself, and the poor baby .

Nancy, I am sorry to hear your mom is slowly failing as well. My mom has already had her extra lease on life, a couple of times. I don't think we could be any more prepared for her end, but she keeps rallying back against all odds. Sooner or later, her time is going to be up. Will it be this time? She struggles with depression, as well, and this time of year is always rough on her. The majority of her medical crisis come this time of year...the last one was two years ago when she was given just months to live.

So, I guess... life goes on (until it doesn't), and we just keep plowing along. I appreciate the caring thoughts~

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:03 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cara, sending positive thoughts your way ... and to Mrs. D., Nancy, darlindeb, ... and Al's appliances.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Unhappy Oh, Gosh...

I am so sorry this has happened, Cara.

I am going to send you a private email tomorrow.

Your Mom has been very brave with this cancer, so far. It could be an ulcer,
you know. My mom had a hemorrhage from a broken blood vessel in the
duodenum.(first part of the small intestine).

If your Mom is using NSAIDs? could be that. But I understand how you would
think cancer...since that has been so recent.

My thoughts are with you and your family!

Heard nothing so far with the kid..and his bleeding finger. I will call him tomorrow. He is doing that "male" thing...you know..."it's nothing"..etc.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:46 AM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dear Cara,
I just read about what's happening with your Mum. I'm really sorry to hear this and just wanted to leave a quick message to say that she and you are in my thoughts.
take care,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
He is doing that "male" thing...you know..."it's nothing"..etc.
HEY...I resemble that remark Does that remark also encompass "doing nothing" about "the nothing"? I suspect so, but because it if was "something", we'd do something about it...

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa

Last edited by aklap; 12-28-2006 at 01:34 AM.
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:46 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If the shoe fits Al
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote