advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default 23andMe is getting attention and other stuff

http://singularityhub.com/2009/08/17...ease-research/

if you haven't spit yet, there's still plenty needed. even at age 59, i like to think that someone out there really has a plan and it will work and they are like my parents...like NASA. SOLID, LOOKING OUT FOR ME, ALL OF US.

truth is, we are all in this territory of body fixing together, not by nature, but by deliberate choices leading to passion and full immersion.

whatever the reason,sergey needs to be vigilant and not waste time thinking he has lots of it. He needs to do everything he can even with just the marker so far.

i should sound more grateful. after the bale outs multiple millions (from google) sound like not enough. We need the man, Mr. Brin, to come up with a few more technological wonders specific to pd .....let the computer collect enough info and solve it for us. he needs to direct his monies to patient benefit only.for his own sake.

Can politicians and wall street ever return to the rewards that come
intrinsically [accompanied by all those comforting chemicals that are released when you've helped someone? ]

as one commentator says "honesty and idealogues always clash." which doesn't mean you can't have affiliations and be honest. it does mean that if the object of one's ideaolgy lies, so do the believers, it's just not a big deal, winning is the only game with the idealogue.

ok at least i bloviated in my own thread. To summarize, i'm even going for clarity tonight:

23andME needs to be promoted. a poster for wpc - a big yes.this study is only as good as the number of people who do it. Obama isn't helping data collection or comparative evidencewith his email lists & the sneaky way he bought the country with money he didn't have. It almost and still might be the health care system he buys next.

put 23andME in the book of course.

now, taking it a step further, this may not be as easy to digest but i have felt this way for awhile and i wrote it to mike, who already knows i am crazy sometimes but nevertheless the logic is there. right now in DC they are listening to people and writiing the health reform bill - as we all know.

i am opposed to a public plan because of simple reasons that have nothing to do with whether i am libertarian (which i used to think was werid but now it's ,making sense?!) ndependent. progressive.
conservative, liberal, democrat, republican, or nothing at all.

here they are:
1. there isn't money to pay for it and we will pay for it. Two of my credit cards were revoked but of course i still owe the payments with no card to use. i'm not a late payer -they are used because i am renovating my house.

both from WAMU - is that the bank that the San Francisco couple crashed who were outed on, of all places, Sat. Night Live? chase bought wamu and feels i have too much credit. ....and i'm an honest on time payer.My sister handles my finances like a military commander.
Why punish those who pay? They have enough owed to them they won't feel my cancellations...i'll be supporting them for awhile.

2. we'llbe paying for the public plan through hikes in gas and electricity major hikes]&through so many other ways we will have a reduced quality of health care and life.

3. too slow and inefficient.

bringing it back:

i think there should be a balance - affirmative action if you will, of political backgrounds on the boards and councils of pd orgs.

Again, altho i don't personally feel the tensions that i did for all the bush insults, when you have all one idealogue, the others are not represented at all.

There are foundations that don't want to step over that line and throw in the towel of support for this and other innovative ideas. What are the political affiliations within the orgs? PAN gave no choice...if you went to the forum, you supported escr. you bad mouthed bush. you blamed him and blamed weldon, brownback. that was that. they are a wonderful group, and i like them. but it was understood who the bad guys were. anyone who didn't agree with that policy was weird. Christians were the radical right.

That's because idealogues become upset when they run up against logic that does not agree with theirs. they only look at the world thru their eyes...

just like wall street. this world is a scary place. i'm glad i have this rock to hang out on.

i don't like even wanting to have to count on somebody to save me. but with our world the way it is now, i do find myself wondering what sergey and 23andMe can do. five yrs is a long time to wait for the whole genome.

peace,
paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default saliva test

I just emailed the company about the saliva test & am waiting to hear back. Is it still $25. to participate or is that cost gone up? I just had an appointment at the health dept on Monday and they are going to try to get me an appointment at a local neurology office. I would rather be diagnosed more cheaply than the $300 or more it will cost to see a neurologist... PD runs in our family and my symptoms are more evident to me every day. Also is the saliva test a definite diagnoses of hereditary PD??? I don't plan to take pharmacuticals anyway/ we are growing fava beans & hope to try mucuna next year ,also. Very excited today...we saw the first bean of our August 14th planted crop.....praise the Lord Thanks for neurotalk website. It has already been a blessing Aunt Bean
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Aunt Bean,

you must already have a diagnosis of parkinson's disease to get this $25 discount, which is still available.
if you do get diagnosed, this analysis will analyze only a part of the genome, and usually costs $399.

let me know if you want more details, but it will not definitively diagnose or guarantee anything. There are follow up surveys.

here are videos about it that tell you more.
good luck,
paula

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Mjs...x=0&playnext=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bean View Post
I just emailed the company about the saliva test & am waiting to hear back. Is it still $25. to participate or is that cost gone up? I just had an appointment at the health dept on Monday and they are going to try to get me an appointment at a local neurology office. I would rather be diagnosed more cheaply than the $300 or more it will cost to see a neurologist... PD runs in our family and my symptoms are more evident to me every day. Also is the saliva test a definite diagnoses of hereditary PD??? I don't plan to take pharmacuticals anyway/ we are growing fava beans & hope to try mucuna next year ,also. Very excited today...we saw the first bean of our August 14th planted crop.....praise the Lord Thanks for neurotalk website. It has already been a blessing Aunt Bean

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I got my results. I don't have the gene.
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (09-30-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile saliva test

Thanks for the info. I went to the health dept. Monday & they set me up for an appointment at a Neurologist in November. I can't understand how they can give you a diagnoses without blood work / heard it is often misdiagnosed...curious about what to ask at a first visit. They won't appreciate me ....I plan to never take sinemet, just fava beans or mucuna. I did get a $65. blood test for G6pd and my range is normal..so I feel ok to use fava beans at least...doing alot of research & am basically "another white rat" Any suggestions? Aunt Bean
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote