Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Positive story c5-c6 Fusion

I wanted to write about my surgery (ACF c5/c6 and bone graft in hip) in hopes of helping someone who is in need of hearing something positive. I read alot of stories and I must admit I was frightened as hell.
To give you my background, I'm a 33 year old former professional baseball player that is a workout fanatic. On June 2, 2009 I was doing my normal workout/basketball and then went home and went to sleep. When I awoke I was in serious pain but dismissed it as a bad kink in my neck. Well, within 2 days I was in HELL. 24/7 burning pain that just radiated through my left shoulder blade, down arm, and ending in hand. If you're reading this you know the feeling, if you dont know I hope you never do feel this. I couldnt sleep at all, not even with ambien/vicodin combo. Just made me dazed and even more miserable. I tried everything (massage, chiropractor, injections) and nothing worked. My Dr. said disc was huge and nerve was obviously trapped. I hadnt had feeling in thumb since the day I woke up and now I was about 40% feeling left in index finger. The muscle and shape of my left arm was comical as I looked like I just schrank. I couldnt lift my are up anymore at all and then I was getting freaked out, not to mention everything had become extremely difficult (work, driving, home life, enjoying anything). My Dr. suggested to have surgery so I could get my life back on track and avoid any further nerve damage. I had zero doubt by this time that I needed to do it though I was scared as can be.
August 4th, 8 weeks from day 1 of hell, I went in for surgery. I kept a journal over the days leading up to surgery and I wrote "I cant take this anymore, I am mentally destroyed and on the fast track to major depression". Let me say, this surgery is a really big deal. You get that vibe with the increased seriousness the Dr.s and staff give you on the big day. I've had 5 right arm surgeries (pitcher) and they were cake compared to prep for this. Anyway, I wake up about 4 hours from surgery and I feel like I've been in a motorcycle wreck.. buuuut, NO acute nerve pain! omg, it felt sooo good to feel like *****. It was a different bad and I was thrilled. I stayed in the hospital a day and a half and was pretty banged up but walked around alot, which is amazing. I'm 15 days off surgery right now and I am a COMPLETELY different person. I can laugh, smile, think, and sleep all without intense burning pain. I'm not sitting here saying I'm ready to pitch baseballs or bench press 300lbs but I am saying I have zero doubt I will do those things again in time. I couldnt have made a better decision to do this surgery and I have zero regrets. I stretch my legs and core alot so that part of my back and body dont fall apart while inactive. My hip hurts pretty bad still and my shoulder blades are very tight which gives me headaches but its normal. I am writing out a fitness recovery plan everyday. If anyone wants updates on what Im doing and how I feel I'd be more than happy to share. I want my life back and I fully intend on getting it and then some! I hope someone reads this and it helps them realize that their pain will end and life will be wonderful again. oh yeah, load your IPOD up and walk, walk, walk, walk!
Anthonymharden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Animal04317 (08-27-2009)

advertisement