Autoimmune Diseases For Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (underactive thyroid), Graves’ disease (overactive thyroid), Lupus, Crohn's disease, all types of arthritis, and all other autoimmune diseases. [Multiple sclerosis (MS) and Myasthenia Gravis (MG) have their own forums below.]


advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2021, 07:11 PM #1
Dannibal's Avatar
Dannibal Dannibal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Posts: 11
1 yr Member
Dannibal Dannibal is offline
Junior Member
Dannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Posts: 11
1 yr Member
Question Blood thinners and medic bracelet?

When I had blood clots about 10 years ago, I was on blood thinners for a year and I remember that it was recommended I get one of those medic alert bracelet things, that state I'm on blood thinners. So I got one, but after I was off the blood thinners, I didn't think I would need it anymore...and it got lost / thrown out (unsure) between all the moves I've made over the years.

Now I'm back on blood thinners after having extensive blood clots in my lungs and left leg and I was told I'll have to be on them for the rest of my life. I was going to get another bracelet, but they all seem so expensive...well, $40 is expensive for me (or the cheaper ones have bad reviews because the writing comes off...which defeats the purpose of having one). I currently don't have an income (going through the disability process for my chronic migraines and mental health issues) and so can't really afford much.

Anyone have recommendation on where I can get a decent bracelet that's not as much money?

Thanks.
Dannibal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (05-31-2021)

advertisement
Old 05-31-2021, 11:18 AM #2
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
15 yr Member
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
My Mood: Blood thinners and medic bracelet?
15 yr Member
Default

Maybe this will help. Standard Medical ID Bracelet | MedicAlert Foundation
__________________
Kitt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (06-01-2021), Dannibal (05-31-2021), Lara (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 04:55 PM #3
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitsundays
Posts: 10,896
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitsundays
Posts: 10,896
15 yr Member
Default

The company Mediband also make them. There are probably many others. The silicone ones are the least expensive from what I've found and I guess they're quite practical being washable or able to be disinfected easily, yet waterproof, non allergenic and non toxic etc, but my problem is that I don't find them very attractive.

I need to wear one on my left arm although I am lazy and forget mostly (No BP or needles). I thought about making my own with miniature alphabet beads or with a glass enamelled tag with an alert symbol. The alert symbol would send a medic to a wallet with more detailed information, for example. I figure if I need to wear a bracelet it needs to look nice and I don't like any of the ones that are available.

You could also check Etsy and Ebay.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dannibal (05-31-2021), Diamond Tiger<3 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:20 AM #4
Diamond Tiger<3 Diamond Tiger<3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 87
2 yr Member
Diamond Tiger<3 Diamond Tiger<3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 87
2 yr Member
Default

I agree Lara it needs to look nice for me to want to ever purchase one if I needed it. I have a metal allergy. All my jewelry must be at least 14kt solid gold. Nothing would look good next to my diamond gold watch, or my diamond bracelet. I'm sure mine would cost more than I would ever be willing to spend if I had it custom made.


Best wishes,


Diamond Tiger<3
Diamond Tiger<3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:02 AM #5
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
15 yr Member
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
My Mood: Blood thinners and medic bracelet?
15 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Tiger<3 View Post
I agree Lara it needs to look nice for me to want to ever purchase one if I needed it. I have a metal allergy. All my jewelry must be at least 14kt solid gold. Nothing would look good next to my diamond gold watch, or my diamond bracelet. I'm sure mine would cost more than I would ever be willing to spend if I had it custom made.


Best wishes,


Diamond Tiger<3
Looked up a 14kt solid gold medic alert bracelet and they cost big bucks as you know. Far more than you first posted.
__________________
Kitt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Diamond Tiger<3 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:50 AM #6
agate's Avatar
agate agate is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wild West
Posts: 961
15 yr Member
agate agate is offline
Member
agate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wild West
Posts: 961
My Mood: Blood thinners and medic bracelet?
15 yr Member
Default

I've worn the same MedicAlert bracelet for over 40 years now and got it from the MedicAlert Foundation mentioned in Kitt's post.

Over time the color has worn off (there were some red parts) but every bit of it is still readable and in good shape. I made one change in it about 30 years ago when diabetes was diagnosed but otherwise it's been the same bracelet all along. When I changed doctors or moved, I was able to change the information on the MedicAlert system's records without changing the bracelet. If there was a charge for that, it wasn't much.

If you can remember what place you got your original medical alert from, they might still have your records on file and might provide an update and replacement at a lower cost than you'd have to pay for a brand-new one.
__________________
Repeal the law of gravity!

MS diagnosed 1980. Type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis.
Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Currently: Glatopa (generic Copaxone), 40mg 3 times/week, since 12/16/20
agate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:23 AM #7
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
15 yr Member
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
My Mood: Blood thinners and medic bracelet?
15 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agate View Post
I've worn the same MedicAlert bracelet for over 40 years now and got it from the MedicAlert Foundation mentioned in Kitt's post.

Over time the color has worn off (there were some red parts) but every bit of it is still readable and in good shape. I made one change in it about 30 years ago when diabetes was diagnosed but otherwise it's been the same bracelet all along. When I changed doctors or moved, I was able to change the information on the MedicAlert system's records without changing the bracelet. If there was a charge for that, it wasn't much.

If you can remember what place you got your original medical alert from, they might still have your records on file and might provide an update and replacement at a lower cost than you'd have to pay for a brand-new one.
Same here.
__________________
Kitt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:24 PM #8
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitsundays
Posts: 10,896
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitsundays
Posts: 10,896
15 yr Member
Default

I think it depends on the health conditions.

I just need something to wear on my left arm that states or directs to information in my wallet regarding Tick Anaphylaxis and No BP or Needles.

I really don't want a third party company having all my "verified" (whatever that means) medical details. That's just me. I don't even let the Federal Government have access to that information as I opted out of their generous (cough cough) suggestion to have all my medical history/information in one place.

I just looked up the pricing of the MedicAlert memberships here in Australia and they charge $49 per annum and they say that they keep your "full medical story" on file. Illnesses, Medications, allergies, devices etc.

Not for me.

My GP has my medical history on electronic record. My hospital has my medical history on electronic record but it can't be accessed by random people. There are checks and balances to make sure of patient confidentiality.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:30 PM #9
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
15 yr Member
Kitt Kitt is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,379
My Mood: Blood thinners and medic bracelet?
15 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I think it depends on the health conditions.

I just need something to wear on my left arm that states or directs to information in my wallet regarding Tick Anaphylaxis and No BP or Needles.

I really don't want a third party company having all my "verified" (whatever that means) medical details. That's just me. I don't even let the Federal Government have access to that information as I opted out of their generous (cough cough) suggestion to have all my medical history/information in one place.

I just looked up the pricing of the MedicAlert memberships here in Australia and they charge $49 per annum and they say that they keep your "full medical story" on file. Illnesses, Medications, allergies, devices etc.

Not for me.

My GP has my medical history on electronic record. My hospital has my medical history on electronic record but it can't be accessed by random people. There are checks and balaces to make sure of patient confidentiality.
None of my information is on file with the medic alert bracelet I have. I know that some are with different companies. I would never go with that.
__________________
Kitt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-01-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 10:08 AM #10
Diamond Tiger<3 Diamond Tiger<3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 87
2 yr Member
Diamond Tiger<3 Diamond Tiger<3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 87
2 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
Looked up a 14kt solid gold medic alert bracelet and they cost big bucks as you know. Far more than you first posted.


I have no doubt its outraheous amount. I would be better off going to my jeweler and having it custom made. My only concern is, I would break it. I have a diamond gold bracelet that is called a soft bangle but its not soft, nor are the links thin. Its a thick gold bracelet and its the only bracelet I feel safe wearing without breaking it. I have had it for close to 20 years. I had a few diamond tennis bracelets over the years and I broke all of them getting them caught on something and yanking my arm. I know you can't put a price on one's health and safety.

Best wishes,


Diamond Tiger<3
Diamond Tiger<3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-03-2021)
Reply

Tags
blood, bracelet, clots, medic, thinners

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natural Blood Thinners caroline2 Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements 0 05-08-2017 06:19 PM
Medic Alert Bracelet Jules A The Stumble Inn 0 11-02-2014 06:48 PM
Parkinson's medic alert bracelet Jim091866 Parkinson's Disease 1 02-05-2013 06:35 PM
blood thinners xmas 25 Myasthenia Gravis 1 06-08-2009 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.