advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 PM #11
Sculptor44 Sculptor44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 87
1 yr Member
Sculptor44 Sculptor44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 87
1 yr Member
Default

Really glad to find this. I rely on TV for my brain. I like. Abandoned on Discovery. I like history. When I was given my first library card by my best friend my first book was Hiroshima. I am a BBC fan. I also love music and visual nature mediations on YouTube. There are some obscure pieces of music I have found on YOUTUBE Dimming of The Day and Into Dust. Sculptor44
Sculptor44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (07-15-2021), Lara (07-15-2021)

advertisement
Old 07-15-2021, 10:03 PM #12
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Default

Hi Sculptor, Good to see you.

Do you mean the Richard and Linda Thompson folk song Dimming of the Day or another version. I know Dave Gilmore sang it more recently also.

I really enjoyed British Folk Rock way back. Was fortunate to see Fairport Convention but it was sadly without Sandy Denny or Richard Thompson.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:50 AM #13
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Default Katla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
If you like Scandinavian drama, then look no further than Katla (Netflix) it's set in the remote town of Vik near an active Volcano in Iceland.
Atticus, thanks for the tip.
I have watched two episodes this evening. This is very much the type of show that I enjoy watching and it certainly is dark. So far, so good.

edited later to add that maybe it might be a little much for me if there are too many harmed animals.

Last edited by Lara; 07-16-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atticus (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:40 PM #14
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Default Katla again

Ugh. Wasn't for me but I'm glad I watched it. It was slow but I didn't mind that as much as I minded the hopelessness of it all. It was certainly thought provoking. The inside sets were finely detailed and were wonderful. I didn't notice the warnings until later in the series, but the warnings here were for hunting violence and suicide themes.

After watching two episodes, I had no idea where it was going.
It ended up being quite foreboding and oh so heavy and bleak and there was a sense of it never going anywhere, never ending. Earlier on in one of the episodes a character says what I've typed below and that's how the poor sad characters lived their lives.

"Everything in this universe repeats itself
The sun comes up the sun goes down
The sun comes up again
Were young, were old,
Were born, we die.

Everything goes round and round and its absurd

But who am I to accept the nature of things,
I just have to accept them"

I'm thinking it verged on genius, but in a twisted genius type of way. Very interesting show all in all however I had to go mow a couple of acres of grass just to throw off the heaviness of life that I was left with after watching it. lol.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:32 PM #15
Sculptor44 Sculptor44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 87
1 yr Member
Sculptor44 Sculptor44 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 87
1 yr Member
Default

Yes Richard and Linda Thompson Dimming of the day tho I will look for the Gilmor version. On occasion I sink into a version of Comfortably Numb with Benedict Cumberbach sharing stage. I am struggling with TV because of my deepening cognitive changes likely from poor oxygen. I like sci-fi especially Deep Space 9 version Star Trek. I like thoughtful movies. There is one I just watched called Radium Girls on Netflix. It is the true story of women who painted the dials on watches and were poisoned by the radium. Sculptor 44
Sculptor44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:55 AM #16
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Ugh. Wasn't for me but I'm glad I watched it. It was slow but I didn't mind that as much as I minded the hopelessness of it all. It was certainly thought provoking. The inside sets were finely detailed and were wonderful. I didn't notice the warnings until later in the series, but the warnings here were for hunting violence and suicide themes.

After watching two episodes, I had no idea where it was going.
It ended up being quite foreboding and oh so heavy and bleak and there was a sense of it never going anywhere, never ending. Earlier on in one of the episodes a character says what I've typed below and that's how the poor sad characters lived their lives.

"Everything in this universe repeats itself
The sun comes up the sun goes down
The sun comes up again
Were young, were old,
Were born, we die.

Everything goes round and round and its absurd

But who am I to accept the nature of things,
I just have to accept them"

I'm thinking it verged on genius, but in a twisted genius type of way. Very interesting show all in all however I had to go mow a couple of acres of grass just to throw off the heaviness of life that I was left with after watching it. lol.
I agree it was dark and bleak but at the same time wonderfully optomistic. The function of changelings were to cast a different light on how to view the world. They were effectively a metaphor for stepping back and looking at the bigger picture. There is a scene where a character, the one you quote above, tells a woman her baby had genetic defects. She had thought her attempted abortion had caused his condition. You could feel the weight of guilt lifted from her shoulders on the news. It was so emotional.

Okay another Scandi programme, not bleak or dark, apart from the oil industry, is State of Happiness, set in Stavanger 1969. If anyone gets the chance visit the Norweigian coastal towns, they are so beautiful, especially Bergen. Everything is pretty much double the price of the UK but it is worth it.
I watched State of Happiness on BBC i player during Lockdown and I believe a second series is about to be made. Its well worth a view.
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 01:15 AM #17
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Default

Hi Atticus,
I hope you're doing well.
In Katla, something I didn't ever understand was the "sci-fi" references I found online. I recall that the vulcanologist or geologist mentioned this at one time too but that story line didn't ever seem to materialise.

edited to add: It made more sense to me that the changelings more as part of their folklore than as aliens/sci-fi. Much like a lot of shows from Iceland I've found.

I just found "State of Happiness" on our SBS on demand. Thanks for the tip.

I've not been to that area sadly but had online friends in a support group many years ago who were from Bergen. It really looks very pretty.

Sculptor,
You may enjoy The Bletchley Circle if you've not seen that already.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 PM #18
Lara's Avatar
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Lara Lara is offline
Legendary
Lara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tropics of Australia
Posts: 10,603
15 yr Member
Default State of Happiness

"State of Happiness" is a gem.

Loving it. Great sets, music and acting as well.

I have a distinct liking for the mid-century, particularly 60s and early 70s, Scandi charm.

I even saw a few household items that I've actually owned at some point in my life long after that era and wishing I still had them. I'm not fond of holding onto lots of objects but some nostalgia did creep in.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:09 AM #19
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hi Atticus,
I hope you're doing well.
In Katla, something I didn't ever understand was the "sci-fi" references I found online. I recall that the vulcanologist or geologist mentioned this at one time too but that story line didn't ever seem to materialise.

edited to add: It made more sense to me that the changelings more as part of their folklore than as aliens/sci-fi. Much like a lot of shows from Iceland I've found.

I just found "State of Happiness" on our SBS on demand. Thanks for the tip.

I've not been to that area sadly but had online friends in a support group many years ago who were from Bergen. It really looks very pretty.

Sculptor,
You may enjoy The Bletchley Circle if you've not seen that already.

Hi Lara
The explanation of the emergence of the Changelings and the scenes of investigation in an active volcano were the weakest part of the programme. Better to have left it unexplained. I wonder if that little boy will win any awards? His performance was extraordinary.
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:23 AM #20
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Atticus Atticus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 234
1 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
"State of Happiness" is a gem.

Loving it. Great sets, music and acting as well.

I have a distinct liking for the mid-century, particularly 60s and early 70s, Scandi charm.

I even saw a few household items that I've actually owned at some point in my life long after that era and wishing I still had them. I'm not fond of holding onto lots of objects but some nostalgia did creep in.
I actually visited Stavanger in 1979. It was on board a Russian Cruise Ship the Mikhail Lermantov that eventually sank I think off NZ in about 1981. I still have my Mockba 1980 Olympic shirt ... it doesn't fit! I love all things Scandi, I'm currently getting underfloor heating fitted and then a Scandi style wooden floor on top this week!! State of happiness is such a beautiful story and I agree top end production values and acting. I was watching "Eyewitness" a Norweigian Police Procedure which has one of the actors from State of Happiness, but don't have access to a TV right now. It's very good, but does contain violence. Do you or does anyone have any top tips?
Atticus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-25-2021)
Reply

Tags
anne, favorite, hulu, streaming, watching

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOAA Streaming Deepwater Ocean Explorer Okeanos Chemar Pets & Wildlife 1 03-24-2017 05:30 PM
Favorites Becky21 Games 136 06-25-2014 12:16 AM
Streaming Netflix movies gonnamakeit The Stumble Inn 8 01-23-2010 08:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.