Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
p_v13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi p-v13,

Well that's great news!! Just curious, did he say what the white stuff was?

Bryanna
He mentioned it was scare tissue and possible fat. he said this was a spot that when he closed the area, my gums did not quite meet.

does this sound logical?

-P
p_v13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
Bryanna
Grand Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,605
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

He may be referring to granulation tissue. That frequently forms at the site of a surgical wound. If it continues to grow there, it may have to be removed because it will cause a deep pocket. That's why he is suggesting you use various forms of cleaning methods to reduce the formation of the granulation tissue. Makes perfect sense!

Bryanna


QUOTE=p_v13;724289]He mentioned it was scare tissue and possible fat. he said this was a spot that when he closed the area, my gums did not quite meet.

does this sound logical?

-P[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
p_v13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
He may be referring to granulation tissue. That frequently forms at the site of a surgical wound. If it continues to grow there, it may have to be removed because it will cause a deep pocket. That's why he is suggesting you use various forms of cleaning methods to reduce the formation of the granulation tissue. Makes perfect sense!

Bryanna


QUOTE=p_v13;724289]He mentioned it was scare tissue and possible fat. he said this was a spot that when he closed the area, my gums did not quite meet.

does this sound logical?

-P
[/QUOTE]


thank you so much for all of your responses Bryanna, it really helped put my mind at ease with all of the doubts i had about having the surgery in the first place. it's nice to have a second mind to pick on such matters.

happy holidays to you and your loved ones!
-P
p_v13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Bryanna
Grand Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,605
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

You are very welcome...... it's been a pleasure chatting with you.

All the best to you and your family also!!

Bryanna



thank you so much for all of your responses Bryanna, it really helped put my mind at ease with all of the doubts i had about having the surgery in the first place. it's nice to have a second mind to pick on such matters.

happy holidays to you and your loved ones!
-P[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
nienna777
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 17
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

Hi Bryanna,

I'm 3 weeks into my tooth extraction/bone graft. I just noticed today that there appears to be the same white soft material visible that p_v13 mentioned, however for me it's not coming out, it's just kinda hanging there inside the socket, but extremely visible. Could this be the plug you mentioned? It's very very soft, almost squishy. Otherwise though, my gums feel really good, and look to have a good color as well. No signs of swelling, and no real pain to speak of either. I'm just scared of what it means if it does fall out. Do I worry about the plug coming out?

Sorry for all the questions
nienna777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
Bryanna
Grand Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,605
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

Hi nienna,

The "plug" is a collagen membrane and that has already been absorbed.

White stuff inside of the socket could be new tissue growth, food debris or plaque. If you are doing well in general, just keep rinsing with warm salt water until the site closes over. A pinch of salt in a cup of warm water 3 times a day is adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nienna777 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

I'm 3 weeks into my tooth extraction/bone graft. I just noticed today that there appears to be the same white soft material visible that p_v13 mentioned, however for me it's not coming out, it's just kinda hanging there inside the socket, but extremely visible. Could this be the plug you mentioned? It's very very soft, almost squishy. Otherwise though, my gums feel really good, and look to have a good color as well. No signs of swelling, and no real pain to speak of either. I'm just scared of what it means if it does fall out. Do I worry about the plug coming out?

Sorry for all the questions
__________________
Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for over 3 decades. I am an educator, trainer and extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my professional experience and is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
nienna777
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 17
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

Thanks so much Bryanna

When I woke up this morning, a little bit of it did come out. I honestly couldn't tell what it was, especially since I did eat white noodles the night before, it is entirely possible that it's simply food debris LOL!!

It does appear to look to healthy and healing, I was more worried that my gums were maybe receding too much, causing bits to fall out. It's so hard to tell when you know so little about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi nienna,

The "plug" is a collagen membrane and that has already been absorbed.

White stuff inside of the socket could be new tissue growth, food debris or plaque. If you are doing well in general, just keep rinsing with warm salt water until the site closes over. A pinch of salt in a cup of warm water 3 times a day is adequate.
nienna777 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (06-05-2014)
Old 12-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
Rick44
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Default

Bryanna (or anyone who knows),
I had oral surgery 9 days ago. Got #30 extracted and was supposed to get an implant, but the bone wasn't sufficient enough apparently so he did a bone graft and I will have to go back in 3 months for actual implant.
I also just noticed some white stuff around the area. It appears that what the member said above about it being tissue from where the gums didn't come together could be it but just want to make sure. It looks like it was between where the stitches were. I still have to take 800mg Ibuprofin (not taking any opiates) every 5-6 hrs but seems to be getting a little better. Just wanted to see if this is the norm or what. I see the doc again in a week and will ask him too.
Thank you
Rick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
Rick44
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick44 View Post
Bryanna (or anyone who knows),
I had oral surgery 9 days ago. Got #30 extracted and was supposed to get an implant, but the bone wasn't sufficient enough apparently so he did a bone graft and I will have to go back in 3 months for actual implant.
I also just noticed some white stuff around the area. It appears that what the member said above about it being tissue from where the gums didn't come together could be it but just want to make sure. It looks like it was between where the stitches were. I still have to take 800mg Ibuprofin (not taking any opiates) every 5-6 hrs but seems to be getting a little better. Just wanted to see if this is the norm or what. I see the doc again in a week and will ask him too.
Thank you
Here is a pic of the area if it helps.
Rick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
Bryanna
Grand Magnate
 
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,605
My Mood: white stuff coming out of gums after bone graft surgery
Default

Hi Rick,

Thanks for posting the picture!

The photo is a bit blurry but I can see the "white" areas of gum tissue. The white appears to be rather thick or lumpy in consistency. Is it actually gum tissue or accumulation of plaque? Can you gently remove it with a slightly moist q-tip? Or does the white substance seem to be coming from inside of the socket like pus would? I can also see that there is quite a bit of dark red inflammation along the lingual (tongue side) of the ridge that travels down toward the floor of your mouth. By any chance was the extracted tooth previously root canaled?

What are rinsing with and how often? Are you sticking to a soft food diet or eating regular food? Are you avoiding chewing on that side of your mouth?

Bryanna




Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick44 View Post
Bryanna (or anyone who knows),
I had oral surgery 9 days ago. Got #30 extracted and was supposed to get an implant, but the bone wasn't sufficient enough apparently so he did a bone graft and I will have to go back in 3 months for actual implant.
I also just noticed some white stuff around the area. It appears that what the member said above about it being tissue from where the gums didn't come together could be it but just want to make sure. It looks like it was between where the stitches were. I still have to take 800mg Ibuprofin (not taking any opiates) every 5-6 hrs but seems to be getting a little better. Just wanted to see if this is the norm or what. I see the doc again in a week and will ask him too.
Thank you
__________________
Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for over 3 decades. I am an educator, trainer and extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my professional experience and is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help! Just had bone graft 5 days ago. HoustonTX Dentistry & Dental Issues 6 09-01-2014 07:27 PM
dental code 4 bone graft material delwings Dentistry & Dental Issues 0 08-20-2009 04:29 PM
Bone Graft for dental implant Judith C Dentistry & Dental Issues 13 07-14-2009 08:32 PM
Had a dental bone graft 2 days ago, some of the graft material is leaking. Normal? Nadia_384 Dentistry & Dental Issues 1 05-01-2009 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy