Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.


advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 PM #1
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
Default Hole in my gum?

I've been taking extra care of my teeth but seem to be noticing more problems with them. I noticed this hole in my gum right by my molar about two weeks about and hoped it would go away. It didn't. Anyone know what it could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Hole in my gum?-dsc_6771-jpg  
AKDENTAL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM #2
Bryanna's Avatar
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
10 yr Member
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
My Mood: Hole in my gum?
10 yr Member
Default

Hi AKDENTAL,

This usually indicates that there is decay in the tooth below the gum line and the bacteria from the decay has caused inflammation in the gum tissue. Inflamed gum tissue pulls away from the tooth.

It is important that you go to your dentist, have an xray done to determine the depth and location of the decay so it can be restored before it progresses any further.

Hope this information helps.
Bryanna




Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDENTAL View Post
I've been taking extra care of my teeth but seem to be noticing more problems with them. I noticed this hole in my gum right by my molar about two weeks about and hoped it would go away. It didn't. Anyone know what it could be?
__________________
Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:11 AM #3
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
Default

Thank you so much for the info. I don't understand why there's decay below the gum line. I've already lost a tooth in that area. A few years ago, I had a toothache, the dentist took xray and said everything was fine. Later, it was hurting more and I went in. She took a 'deep' xray and found a cavity. Unfortunately it was too close to the nerve as the tooth narrows as it gets deeper. Is there a reason why the cavity is happening below the gum line?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi AKDENTAL,

This usually indicates that there is decay in the tooth below the gum line and the bacteria from the decay has caused inflammation in the gum tissue. Inflamed gum tissue pulls away from the tooth.

It is important that you go to your dentist, have an xray done to determine the depth and location of the decay so it can be restored before it progresses any further.

Hope this information helps.
Bryanna
AKDENTAL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:00 PM #4
Bryanna's Avatar
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
10 yr Member
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
My Mood: Hole in my gum?
10 yr Member
Default

AKDENTAL,

Tooth decay that occurs below the gum line can occur for a few reasons....

1) Bacteria or plaque accumulate along the gum line and eventually irritate the gum tissue enough to form an opening where the bacteria can accumulate even deeper.

2) There could be a gum problem to begin with that has created an opening where bacteria is able to get in and accumulate.

3) A tooth can sometimes develop recurrent decay underneath a restoration or a crown and that would show up looking similar to what yours does in your mouth.

I want to comment, in bold type, about your statement....

<<A few years ago, I had a toothache, the dentist took xray and said everything was fine. Later, it was hurting more and I went in. She took a 'deep' xray and found a cavity.>>

ANYTIME YOU HAVE A TOOTHACHE, TWO TYPES OF XRAYS SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY BE TAKEN. ONE IS A PERIAPICAL (THIS IS THE DEEP XRAY YOU MENTIONED) AND THE OTHER IS A BITE WING. THEY BOTH SHOW THE TOOTH FROM DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. YOUR DENTIST EVIDENTLY TOOK THE BITE WING WHICH DOES NOT SHOW THE TOOTH IN IT'S ENTIRETY. IF SHE HAD TAKEN THE PERIAPICAL, THE ENTIRE TOOTH WOULD HAVE BEEN CAPTURED ON THE XRAY AND THE DECAY MOST LIKELY WOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED UP.

Most people are not aware that both xrays need to be taken so it is certainly not your fault that she neglected to do that. However, she does know better and was not being thorough in her examination.

I would suggest that you see a different dentist and have him take a periapical and a bite wing of that tooth to determine what is wrong. Do not hesitate to tell a dentist you want both xrays. Believe me, it is not uncommon for people to tell their dentist to be more thorough... especially those people who have become better informed either through their own disastrous experiences or from learning it here or elsewhere.

Bryanna







Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDENTAL View Post
Thank you so much for the info. I don't understand why there's decay below the gum line. I've already lost a tooth in that area. A few years ago, I had a toothache, the dentist took xray and said everything was fine. Later, it was hurting more and I went in. She took a 'deep' xray and found a cavity. Unfortunately it was too close to the nerve as the tooth narrows as it gets deeper. Is there a reason why the cavity is happening below the gum line?
__________________
Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM #5
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
Default

Thank you so much again, Bryanna. I'll see a dentist about the hole.

In the meantime, I wonder if I'm flossing too much? I usually floss, brush, then floss again. I usually go thru the routine after I ate, so I floss about 6 times a day. Am I causing damage?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
AKDENTAL,

Tooth decay that occurs below the gum line can occur for a few reasons....

1) Bacteria or plaque accumulate along the gum line and eventually irritate the gum tissue enough to form an opening where the bacteria can accumulate even deeper.

2) There could be a gum problem to begin with that has created an opening where bacteria is able to get in and accumulate.

3) A tooth can sometimes develop recurrent decay underneath a restoration or a crown and that would show up looking similar to what yours does in your mouth.

I want to comment, in bold type, about your statement....

<<A few years ago, I had a toothache, the dentist took xray and said everything was fine. Later, it was hurting more and I went in. She took a 'deep' xray and found a cavity.>>

ANYTIME YOU HAVE A TOOTHACHE, TWO TYPES OF XRAYS SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY BE TAKEN. ONE IS A PERIAPICAL (THIS IS THE DEEP XRAY YOU MENTIONED) AND THE OTHER IS A BITE WING. THEY BOTH SHOW THE TOOTH FROM DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. YOUR DENTIST EVIDENTLY TOOK THE BITE WING WHICH DOES NOT SHOW THE TOOTH IN IT'S ENTIRETY. IF SHE HAD TAKEN THE PERIAPICAL, THE ENTIRE TOOTH WOULD HAVE BEEN CAPTURED ON THE XRAY AND THE DECAY MOST LIKELY WOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED UP.

Most people are not aware that both xrays need to be taken so it is certainly not your fault that she neglected to do that. However, she does know better and was not being thorough in her examination.

I would suggest that you see a different dentist and have him take a periapical and a bite wing of that tooth to determine what is wrong. Do not hesitate to tell a dentist you want both xrays. Believe me, it is not uncommon for people to tell their dentist to be more thorough... especially those people who have become better informed either through their own disastrous experiences or from learning it here or elsewhere.

Bryanna
AKDENTAL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:12 PM #6
Bryanna's Avatar
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
10 yr Member
Bryanna Bryanna is offline
Grand Magnate
Bryanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,618
My Mood: Hole in my gum?
10 yr Member
Default

AKDENTAL,

Unless you get food caught in between your teeth, you only need to floss once a day just before you go to sleep at night. Excess flossing can be irritating to the gum tissue and it is just not necessary. You also only need to brush your teeth 2-3 times a day max. Again, unless you get something caught or you you've eaten something sticky like raisins.

It's important to be thorough with tooth brushing and flossing but when done in excess it can lead to recession of gum tissue. If there is no decay on that tooth, then the gum tissue may be an injury from excessive brushing. It's best to get it checked out with those xrays that I told you about.

Bryanna


Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDENTAL View Post
Thank you so much again, Bryanna. I'll see a dentist about the hole.

In the meantime, I wonder if I'm flossing too much? I usually floss, brush, then floss again. I usually go thru the routine after I ate, so I floss about 6 times a day. Am I causing damage?
__________________
Bryanna

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:25 PM #7
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
AKDENTAL AKDENTAL is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
5 yr Member
Default

Thank you so much, Bryanna.

Happy Belated Birthday Just saw the post.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
AKDENTAL,

Unless you get food caught in between your teeth, you only need to floss once a day just before you go to sleep at night. Excess flossing can be irritating to the gum tissue and it is just not necessary. You also only need to brush your teeth 2-3 times a day max. Again, unless you get something caught or you you've eaten something sticky like raisins.

It's important to be thorough with tooth brushing and flossing but when done in excess it can lead to recession of gum tissue. If there is no decay on that tooth, then the gum tissue may be an injury from excessive brushing. It's best to get it checked out with those xrays that I told you about.

Bryanna
AKDENTAL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (11-02-2014)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Round Peg -Square hole PJAMES Multiple Sclerosis 23 02-19-2009 08:46 PM
In the hole with part D Jim091866 Parkinson's Disease 7 08-30-2007 04:12 PM
Alan's IVIG bag had a hole in it!!!!!1 MelodyL Peripheral Neuropathy 101 05-30-2007 04:22 PM
Hole in Brain snoozie General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders 5 05-14-2007 04:52 PM
Alan now has a hole n his Foot!!!! MelodyL Peripheral Neuropathy 0 04-30-2007 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.